Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 33,245 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am relocating from Baton Rouge, LA in the spring of 2010. I am retiring and need to make my money stretch as far as possible, and it seems that with such low property values, fine older homes, and low cost of living the Youngstown area has it made. I grew up in Boston so winter weather isn't a problem.
Haven't been to Youngstown for probably 25 years and I know it's changed alot since then.
Am looking for a smaller older home in a good neighborhood....something built in the 1920's or before. The less I pay for the house the more I can stash in the bank for the future. Have rehabbed several homes down south so the neighborhood is more important than the condition of the home.
The "official" city sites and Realtor sites aren't any good because they are legally limited in what they can tell you about neighborhoods.
SO, can anybody give me some local zip codes to search in? How about 44502 and 44509?
And yes, I understand Youngstown isn't Paris.....but neither is Baton Rouge.
Thanks y'all for your help.

Last edited by belcaroboy; 09-20-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
Well, i don't know if you heart is set on Youngstown, but you might want to look into Niles 44446 or NE Warren 44483..........mostly good neighborhoods, old homes, and decent prices. If you have an specific questions on Trumbull Co. neighborhoods i can help you out. If you want to live in Ytown city there are def. some people here that can help you. Good luck on your search!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks! Have also been looking in Niles and Warren which has comparable home prices and which (I assume) might be safer areas. The home prices are just really hard to believe - $100,000 won't buy you a shed down here let alone a fine older home.
Am very concerned about the neighborhood - did the "pioneer" thing in a bad but upcoming neighborhood once in Mobile Alabama and it was a nightmare!
Belcaroboy

Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
I'm fairly unfamiliar with zip 44502. But, the south and east sides of the city have seen most of the violent crime. I know there are good neighborhoods in or near 44502, but these neighborhoods are also nearer to some of that violent crime.

I live in zip 44509, and I like it. IMO, the park acts as a barrier to that violent crime. The only area I would stay away from is NE of the intersection of Belle Vista and Mahoning avenues.

In any case, the closer you can get to Mill Creek Park the better-off you'll be. For obvious reasons, I think the park has a stabilizing effect on property values.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,425 times
If you like older homes and want to avoid the Youngstown income tax, the northern reaches of Boardman, (44512) where I live have plenty of nice old houses that can be had for cheap.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks everybody for your input (and I welcome any comments). You may be surprised but many of my co-workers and friends living along the Gulf Coast from Florida to Houston are thinking of moving back up north. Several have already gone to Missouri. Most of us moved to the south because it was cheap living, but suddenly it's very expensive (especially any kind of insurance).
I think you're going to see over the next 10 years or so that the "Rust Belt" areas are going to fill back up with retired people. When you are retiring and facing a limited income, it's easy to trade off the good weather for a better quality of living up north.
Belcaroboy

Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
We actually hear lots of stories and inquires like yours. People see the cheap cost of living, amenities, and great location and inquire about moving here, although, im not sure how many have.

Niles is realitively safe, same with NE Warren, parts of SE or NW Warren, Girard (they also have old homes), McDonald, Boardman (although some border areas w/ytown are questionable). Once in a while you can find a neat old home for cheap in Cortland 44410. In fact, one that needs lots of updating just sold for around $35k, it's a large old home from the late 1800s on over in acre in the city, so no need for septic or well. There is also one for sale on S. Mecca St. (st rt 46) for around 70 or 80k that is about a 5 minute walk to Mosquito Lake.

Keep us updated on your progress and please feel free to ask questions about cities or neighborhoods.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Boardman (although some border areas w/ytown are questionable). .
Depends on the street. While, its no utopia, I think a lot of people who don't live in the neighborhood, probably think the area looks sketchy because of what they see on Market St., Southern Blvd. or in nearby sections of Youngstown.
My street is just a block south of the Y-town border and our street is really nice. The street to the south of me, though has seen better days. Its still a very safe area to live, once in a blue moon, you might hear some cases of petty theft, but its very infrequent and not any different from anyplace else near a city. I can walk the streets and leave the windows open in my house with no need for worry.
The only thing that really changes from street to street is the condition of the houses. The houses here are old and just need some TLC and some people do a better job of that or are more able to do that than others. Its become more of a working-class neighborhood over the years, but its still a good neighborhood here.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 PM

There is an authentic Arts & Crafts style bungalow for sale on South Whitney Avenue not far from Mahoning Avenue 44502. Area seems near the park but maybe is on the wrong side of the park. Does anybody have an idea what this area is like?
You know guys, I've lived in 14 different cities from Maine to California through the years and have found that any city is what you make it. Good and bad. No place is totally safe anymore - even way out in the country.
If the people posting here are any indication of the general population of the greater Youngstown area, it must be a good place to live.
Belcaroboy

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belcaroboy View Post
There is an authentic Arts & Crafts style bungalow for sale on South Whitney Avenue not far from Mahoning Avenue 44502. Area seems near the park but maybe is on the wrong side of the park. Does anybody have an idea what this area is like?
You know guys, I've lived in 14 different cities from Maine to California through the years and have found that any city is what you make it. Good and bad. No place is totally safe anymore - even way out in the country.
If the people posting here are any indication of the general population of the greater Youngstown area, it must be a good place to live.
Belcaroboy
I think you mean 44509. If I'm right, you're looking in my neighborhood, the Garden District. I'm biased, but I think it's a great place.

At the risk of being called a cheerleader, here is a link to a blog article about the neighborhood:
i will shout youngstown: let's all move into the Garden District

And, here is a photo tour I put together of the neighborhood:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-tour-56k.html

I think I know the house you're looking at. You can PM me and I can give more specific details (good and bad) about the immediate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio