Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I worked for Kroger, and if it wasn't for their union, everyone there would be making minimum wage, with minimal benefits, just like Wal-Mart employees.

Umm, my friend who worked at Kroger was making less than minimum wage, after accounting for union dues deductions. At least my friend had some motivation to get a higher paying job and never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Umm, my friend who worked at Kroger was making less than minimum wage, after accounting for union dues deductions. At least my friend had some motivation to get a higher paying job and never looked back.
If you didn't subtract the union dues, was your friend still above minimum wage (net) after taxes and social security, etc. were deducted?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
If you didn't subtract the union dues, was your friend still above minimum wage (net) after taxes and social security, etc. were deducted?
Of course he was...ram is being purposely vague. I made minimum wage for the 8 months I worked at Kroger, but not long after I left they got a new contract and workers who were hired after me started making $11/hr. That wouldn't happen without a union.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Of course he was...ram is being purposely vague. I made minimum wage for the 8 months I worked at Kroger, but not long after I left they got a new contract and workers who were hired after me started making $11/hr. That wouldn't happen without a union.

You could always take some of your own initiative and get a better paying job on your own. $11 an hour - WOW !

Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Well, ram, not everyone is going to be an astro-physicist. Some (probably many) people, in today's terms, will be part of the working family dynamic and making $20-30k/yr to supplement another's income.

Frankly, your insinuation of inferiority and apparent general contempt for N510's work situation is a bit off-putting. It's also exactly why so many aren't open to the idea of "right-to-work" legislation. The only respect lower-skilled or blue collar workers get is directly proportional to their numbers.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 03-08-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, ram, not everyone is going to be an astro-physicist. Some (probably many) people, in today's terms, will be part of the working family dynamic and making $20-30k/yr to supplement another's income.

Frankly, your insinuation of inferiority and apparent general contempt for N510's work situation is a bit off-putting. It's also exactly why so many aren't open to the idea of "right-to-work" legislation.

Bill Gates did not graduate from college.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
You could always take some of your own initiative and get a better paying job on your own. $11 an hour - WOW !
Nice dodge. I do have a better job now, thank you.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 913,101 times
I wish you luck. Unions are the cause of many of this nations problems. Our workers make $34 an hour, with 2 weeks vacation and one week sick. Full medical and dental. Same job could be done at $15 an hour. These jobs are done when this contract ends.

When your job is outsourced or sent overseas you can thank organized labor.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Bill Gates did not graduate from college.
Are you somehow suggesting that everyone working a blue collar job will be the next Bill Gates? Before you answer that, first count how many Bill Gates types there are in the world.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
I wish you luck. Unions are the cause of many of this nations problems. Our workers make $34 an hour, with 2 weeks vacation and one week sick. Full medical and dental. Same job could be done at $15 an hour. These jobs are done when this contract ends.
Unions don't cause problems, they negotiate wages and benefits.

And, your job can probably be 'done' for much less than than you make. Let's hope it takes a walk, too.

Quote:
When your job is outsourced or sent overseas you can thank organized labor.
Even if your position was never part of a union? Seems to me that the people responsible for off-shoring are the ones shipping the work overseas, no?

But, no, I mean how can they be held responsible for taking advantage of slave labor in Asia? It's simply the right thing to do. We should all exploit people in precarious situations as much as we possibly can. If maximizing profit to the Nth degree means chaining 10 year old kids to machines for 80 hours per week and paying them $0.42/hr, then it's just simply what should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio