Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times

Advertisements

You seem to have a problem recognizing that they sold it off TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!!! What part of that don't you get? In their business model, they chose to focus on small equipment which is something they have been particularly successful at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You seem to have a problem recognizing that they sold it off TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!!! What part of that don't you get? In their business model, they chose to focus on small equipment which is something they have been particularly successful at.

They took a profitable business and ran it into the ground. What a great business model.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
They took a profitable business and sold it off at a net gain to concentrate on their core business group. Successful companies spin off specific divisions to provide operating capital for their other more profitable divisions all the time. The cool thing is that, if you want a Husqvarna mortorcycle, you can still get one.
Hey, now you're getting it!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
How do you guys feel about this?
HECK NO!!!!! Florida is a right to work state and we see how well that worked out for them.... At least they have tourism, Ohio is heavy union and unfortunately if you lose unions in Ohio then pretty much you lose Ohio.... The only way it would work is if Ohio had major tax incentives for large corporations to relocate somewhere in the state without any major restrictions as well as investing in higher education where if you graduate from an in-state institution you practically have a job waiting for you afterwards.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,523 times
Ohio should not become a RTW state. The seven poorest cities in the U.S. are in right to work states.

Saying that we would be OK as a RTW state because we haven't had any problems with labor related problems lately is like saying that we no longer need a fire department because we haven't had a fire in the community for a long time.

Just take a look at the coal mining industry where there have been several deaths in the last few years - they were all non-union mines. Had the UMW been there these men might still be alive.

The unions are the only thing keeping business in check. When the unions are gone the fat cats will go back to their old ways and make life a living hell for workers just like they did in pre-union days. Anyone who says otherwise is just naive.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Correct, and correct.

Still, if you are tied to a union, good luck getting a job in a right-to-work state or at a non-union company in a closed shop state. Non-union businesses greatly fear unions, as they greatly drain competitiveness, so anyone with ties will be passed over.

I am not sure about where you live, obviously, but I worked in a union shop for 15 years. I left that job in April 2009 during the height of the recession. I have had no trouble finding work. Much of which was with a non union company.
Companies care more about work ethic, skills, and sobriety.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
BTW, just find out today by staring at "information wall" in a shipping office, worker's compensation is optional in Texas. Employers are simply "encouraged" to provide worker's compensations and other benefits to the damaged/soon to be damaged wage units out of goodness of their hearts.
That is a half-truth.

In Texas, an employer is NOT required to carry workers compensation coverage for their employees. If they DO carry worker's compensation, their actual liability to their employees is LIMITED BY STATUTE.

If a Texas employer DOES NOT carry workers compensation, the employer can be sued for damages that are work related. Damages to employees are UNLIMITED.

For example, in most states, if a worker is killed on the job, the damages are generally limited to a fixed amount, often as little as $200-300k. Once the employer pays that amount, they are off the hook.

If employers do not have the protection of workers compensation (i.e., a contractor is killed in your plant and you are at fault), damages awarded by a jury can be in the millions.

Employers WANT workers compensation as it effectively is a no-fault system that SIGNIFICANTLY limits their losses in catastrophic cases. There are several MIDWESTERN unionized states that pay less to injured employers than Texas.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
I know I'll be flamed. I agree with right to work. I am female and have been at a few jobs I wasn't appreciated at. Those were earlier before I got a skin. Lol my last real job I was at for 7 years. I worked my way up. Hubby is still with the company, over 15 years now. He is doing well because of his work ethic. He has never expected anything, just worked. He is very intelligent and one the company relies on. You'd have to be in it to know.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
^Kraftmaid???

Old 12-25-2011, 12:00 AM

15 posts, read 31,790 times
I've worked in a union and now presently in a non union state. Trust me it sucks, supervision basically does what it wants to its workers. Unions actually brought wages for non union workers and got them better benefits. That is a fact that people overlook or just ignore. From my experience it's from people that wish they were in a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio