Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

If you are considering moving to Ohio, you may want to consider this. Traffic in and around the major cities is preposterous! There is no activity to speak of for teens in the smaller bedroom communities. Local law enforcement/courts take advantage of that fact by hounding the young people until they commit something minor. Then it's arrest/court/probation/detension and continual harrassment by the probation officer. It is not a good state in which to raise your kids because of this. Basically, if you are not a criminal before you arrive here, give it a couple of months so they can screw with your head. You'll get there! Legal assistance is available if you are willing to pay a nickel a second for a marginally-qualified lawyer; you can get marginal representation. Other than that, go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,638,392 times
I love posts like this. Shows how much people truly fail to see what else is out there, or even yet, just travel or live somewhere else.

Hey Jazz, you run into these problems everywhere. As someone who has moved to Ohio from another state, and travel on business I know.

Famous quote of the day (see it on city-data all the time)

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side."

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,692,805 times
After reading both of this kid's posts, I have concluded that he is another disgruntled teenager that is still mad about his Dad finding a job, and moving him away from his friends in another State.

He is so mad about it, he won't even try to make new friends. In fact, the other kids are probably shunning him because his attitude problem allows him to talk about nothing except how great his other home is, and how much Ohio sucks.

He wants to blame the police, and the area for his own trouble. Take some responsibility, kid. It's not the area, and it's not the people. It's you. ...........and get a hair cut.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Local law enforcement/courts take advantage of that fact by hounding the young people until they commit something minor.
Hee. Cops have been doing this as long as there have been and wherever there are cops. And not just in Ohio, either. Imagine that ...

Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,183,722 times
Sounds like somebody got a DUI...

I like how people associate an entire state with a single incident which occured in a one square mile area. Then again, I guess the traffic is horrendous anywhere if you blow a 0.25...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,509,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzologyI View Post
If you are considering moving to Ohio, you may want to consider this. Traffic in and around the major cities is preposterous! There is no activity to speak of for teens in the smaller bedroom communities. Local law enforcement/courts take advantage of that fact by hounding the young people until they commit something minor. Then it's arrest/court/probation/detension and continual harrassment by the probation officer. It is not a good state in which to raise your kids because of this. Basically, if you are not a criminal before you arrive here, give it a couple of months so they can screw with your head. You'll get there! Legal assistance is available if you are willing to pay a nickel a second for a marginally-qualified lawyer; you can get marginal representation. Other than that, go for it!
I have driven in traffic in and around major cities in many states. While I can't speak for ALL cities, as I have not driven in ALL cities, I have not found a single one that is very good, no mater what state it is in.

I don't know why so many people, young or old, feel it is up to the town to provide them with entertainment. In at least one nearby community here (in Ohio), there were a couple of 4th graders who enjoyed skateboarding, but there was no place in town to get together. They put together a proposal, with help from their parents, presented it to the town council, got the approval and backing, worked to raise funds and acquire grants, and they now have a very fine skate park, very well taken care of because the kids helped build it. Get off your duff and put some effort into your life. Don't expect to be handed everything.

Get to know your police officers on a positive note. Volunteer to clean up that vacant lot, pick up the trash you see on the street as you are walking by, be a positive role model for a younger kid who doesn't have anyone positive in their life. Move on politely if you are asked to clear the entrance to the neighborhood store. The cops won't harass you, they will help you.

The situations you describe can occur anyplace in the world, not just Ohio. You get out of life what you put in. Go in with a positive attitude and you will have many more positive experiences than negative ones.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,292,707 times
Cleveland "ranked" second in the country for most courteous drivers: Study: Where does your city rank among the road-rageous? — Autoblog

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,638,392 times
Quote:
Thanks, but you're all wrong. You have just proved a point about the all-knowing, shoot- from-the-hip types who live in the great state. You probably comprise the enormous and dangerous herd of motorists on the roads who arrogantly and adamantly refuse to obey the laws! This driver tends to get a fair assessment of the mental accuity level of a certain area by the way folks conduct themselves on the road. Those who replied here have obviously lived life in a bubble! Oh, and last time I checked, this is still America where I am free to say anything I want!

Oh so now you are calling us all bad drivers and right away think you know us?! Try again...

If you think Ohioans drive bad, then travel the country. This is probaly one of the most narrow-minded threads I have read. Calling Ohioans bad drivers? Yes, each state has it's fair share of bad drivers, but I have seen so much worse elsewhere.

And no one ever said you weren't allowed to say what you wanted. This site is meant for that, and we know we are in America, thank you! Don't assume we meant anything when we never said something in the first place.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 PM

379 posts, read 850,187 times
Quote:
This is all BS.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
Traffic can be bad anywhere, especially bigger cities. The cities are bigger because there are more people, which means more cars on the road. As for smaller communites you could try getting out and doing something like visiting a local park or playing sports. Check local parks and recs websites to see if they have seasonal activity guides posted. Some of the smaller communities in Central Ohio do have a bad reputation for being speed traps, but generally cops leave people alone as long as they aren't drawing attention to themselves. I have lived here for 16 years since I was 10 years old and I have only had issues with police when I did something stupid. And if you need a lawyer, my guess would be that they are all equally qualified since there are state standards to become one. I agree with previous posters who say that you just need to have a positive outlook. I'm not saying Ohio is the greatest place on Earth, but it's not the worst either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: