Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

Ok...I'm from Orlando and am very very spoiled with everything travel related being available 24/7 365....so bear with me.

We are attending a memorial service for a very dear uncle on Jan 3rd in Oberlin. Hotel and everything THERE is taken care of.

Now others in my party decided it would be more cost effective to fly into Youngstown, get a car and drive there. (Just for the record, Cleveland and Akron were my choices)
Not a too terribly bad idea right? We like to drive, I haven't been to Ohio in years and well heck...let's have an adventure...right? HA!

Since the memorial service is on Jan 3rd and we'd like a couple days with our dear Aunt, the powers that be decided we'd fly in on Jan 1st. So then we find that no rental car agencies are open New Years day. Still no problem, since the flight gets in late afternoon, we decided to get a hotel room for that night and get the car the next day.

Here's my question....do taxis hang out at the airport or would it be better to arrange one ahead of time? Will we find an airport shuttle at any hotel?
And last but not least...what area do we want to look in and what area to avoid.

And....where to eat when we get in. I understand there are a lot of Italian restaurants and this would be just fine.

Thanks for all your help! I just hate flying blind when coming to a new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
^Did you get a hotel room in the Youngstown area yet? The Youngstown/Warren Airport is actually in Vienna Twp. in Trumbull Co. If you don't have a room you might want to look at staying in Howland, Niles or Liberty. If you need hotel suggestions i can help. Im not too sure what the airport offers when it comes to shuttles or taxis. I have a friend that works there, so if i think about it i'll ask, but why not just call the airport and ask??? Here's a link to transportation from the airport Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport, you never know, avis might have a rental car that day, i think they only get flights in there on certain days of the week.........

As for restaurants, if you're looking for some good italian you're definitely coming to the right place. I'm at work right now, but let me know how far you are willing to drive and what kind of food your looking for and i'll give you some restaurant suggestions. Also, if you need help finding a hotel room, let me know your price range and i can help you with that as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Allegiant Air is the only service to Youngstown. They fly 2, sometimes 3 times a week. There won't be any air traffic delays, but if they have a mechanical, you will wait until they bring in another plane from who knows where.

Allegiant is geared towards taking vacationers to Disney. I consider them a semi scheduled charter company, not a real airline.

I would have picked Akron, or Cleveland myself.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Allegiant Air is the only service to Youngstown. They fly 2, sometimes 3 times a week. There won't be any air traffic delays, but if they have a mechanical, you will wait until they bring in another plane from who knows where.

Allegiant is geared towards taking vacationers to Disney. I consider them a semi scheduled charter company, not a real airline.

I would have picked Akron, or Cleveland myself.
Oh...trust me...those two were MY choice....but that argument belongs on the "Great Debates" forum.

So here's what we've got. We've got a car reserved thru Enterprise as they "will pick you up". Great rate too. THEY want the Days Inn near the mall..Niles I believe is the address. I have since given up on that matter lol. Lost control and all that. Gotta love the in-laws....xanex donations gladly accepted.
Cortland girl...I will call the Airport and asked about getting to and from the airport and the hotel.

So now the questions are narrowing down. Since we won't have a car the night we get in, we'll pretty much need a good restaurant near the Days Inn or an easy cab ride away.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM

It's a little expensive, but i would go with Alberini's Restaurant- Dining at its finest! Great wines, family owned italian and i love the cheesecake! lol Lots of famous people have eaten there and its right down the street from the Days Inn. You're also going to be very close to the http://www.eastwoodmall.com/home/index.ch2 and all the chains that go with that. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
It's a little expensive, but i would go with Alberini's Restaurant- Dining at its finest! Great wines, family owned italian and i love the cheesecake! lol Lots of famous people have eaten there and its right down the street from the Days Inn. You're also going to be very close to the http://www.eastwoodmall.com/home/index.ch2 and all the chains that go with that. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks so much for your help. As the time draws nearer I'm sure I'll come up with more.

So if you see 6 frozen Floridians wandering around on New Years Day...that would be us lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM

^I'll keep my eyes peeled for tan people covered in icicles! haha!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:45 AM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
6 frozen Floridians wandering around on New Years Day...that would be us lol.
you might even make it in the vindicator or tribune-chronicle for being the first non-locals to use that flight.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
you might even make it in the vindicator or tribune-chronicle for being the first non-locals to use that flight.
lol...just my luck....famous for all the wrong reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio