Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times

Advertisements

From a Cleveland comic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3ft...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Holy crap that guy hates Appalachians. XD

I... I like my slim Jims. :<

And my scratch off... lotto... cards...

And I voted... for... McCain...

CRUD! I'm a apparently a moron! D:

But there are no Appalachians west of him. Only Mid-western lowlanders. HA! Got him there! >

Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Nothing north of I-64 is part of the South.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Nothing north of I-64 is part of the South.
ive asked you this on other threads and have never gotten an answer, why i-64? what exactly differs culturally between paris kentucky and richmond kentucky? i-64 is a highway, not a cultural diving line. it bears no significance. the bluegrass region is clearly a solid cultural entity, and 1-64 bisects it. its just a truly arbitrary line, a highway put in place years after these cultures had developed simply for the purpose of connecting cities with roughly the same latitude. i see no logic in this.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ive asked you this on other threads and have never gotten an answer, why i-64? what exactly differs culturally between paris kentucky and richmond kentucky? i-64 is a highway, not a cultural diving line. it bears no significance. the bluegrass region is clearly a solid cultural entity, and 1-64 bisects it. its just a truly arbitrary line, a highway put in place years after these cultures had developed simply for the purpose of connecting cities with roughly the same latitude. i see no logic in this.
I don't know why, but people use Highways all the time it seems. Like here in LA, the whole I-10 thing.

I don't get it either.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
It's not a hard dividing line, but I never felt like I was in the South in northern Virginia, northern West Virginia, or any part of Ohio. I did, however, get a bit of a Southern vibe in Louisville and Lexington, KY, and it got heavier the farther south I traveled on I-65 and I-75.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,777 times
Is Southern Ohio considered part of the south? Nope.

Appalachian Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Re highways as dividing lines:

The old National Road, AKA US 40, used to be considered by cultural geographers as the northermost extension of Southern cultural influence.

...this was a rough approximation, though, since the Miami Valley region, better known as the Dayton/Cincinnati area or "Southwest Ohio" was not that southern, being settled mostly by folks from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. There are parts of Southern Indiana, south of US 40, that are more rural German-American, too, in ancestry, vs "southern".

The area to the east of "Daytonnati", between the Little Miami River and the Scioto, had a strong in-migration from Kentucky and Virginia, so there was a historic cultural connection to the "upper South". Here is a good article on this part of Ohio. Not the area the thread parent is talking about, though:

Virginia Military District MIGRATION 1790

In recent times the southernmost counties of this area were big tobacco growing areas, growning white burley, the same variety grown in central Kentucky. Ripley OH, on the Ohio River not far from Maysville KY, was the center of this tobacco agriculture, which is commemorated in a museum and a festival:

Ohio Tobacco Museum - Ohio History Central - A product of the Ohio Historical Society

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's not a hard dividing line, but I never felt like I was in the South in northern Virginia, northern West Virginia, or any part of Ohio. I did, however, get a bit of a Southern vibe in Louisville and Lexington, KY, and it got heavier the farther south I traveled on I-65 and I-75.
have you actually been to the area in question here though? (that being the rural areas of the southeast corner of ohio)

i agree that northern VA, northern WV are more northern than southern, but 65 i dont think is a good divider, even roughly. not only does it bisect the bluegrass region, but it bisects areas of southern WV and inland VA which it shouldnt. theres a lot of space between clarksville WV and i 64. not to mention the fact that using it as a boundary would include WAY too much of illinois. it seems mildly close as a divider, but id hardly go off of it and say "nothing north of 64 is southern culturally" because that isnt true at all. its a highway and obviously its placement has nothing to do with cultural boundaries, as its purpose is simply to connect cities via automobile.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
have you actually been to the area in question here though? (that being the rural areas of the southeast corner of ohio)

i agree that northern VA, northern WV are more northern than southern, but 65 i dont think is a good divider, even roughly. not only does it bisect the bluegrass region, but it bisects areas of southern WV and inland VA which it shouldnt. theres a lot of space between clarksville WV and i 64. not to mention the fact that using it as a boundary would include WAY too much of illinois. it seems mildly close as a divider, but id hardly go off of it and say "nothing north of 64 is southern culturally" because that isnt true at all. its a highway and obviously its placement has nothing to do with cultural boundaries, as its purpose is simply to connect cities via automobile.
I'd put everything south of Charleston, WV in the "South"

Charleston is very Midwest!

and I believe you mean Clarksburg, WV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio