U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 PM

15 posts, read 44,546 times

Advertisements

Some of you might have read this email about how to "force a price war" among the oil companies.
Quote:
Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a
>gallon by summer and it might possibly go higher! Want gasoline
>prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united
>action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
>

>This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
>campaign that was going around earlier! The oil companies just
>laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt"
>ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience
>to us than it was a problem for them.
>
>BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
>really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're
>probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me
>too! It is currently $3.03 for regular unleaded in my town. Now
>that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
>think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at1.50 - $1.75, we
>need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
>marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up
>more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are
>going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the
>pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT
>hurting our selves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't
>just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we
>all act together to force a price war.
>
>Here's the idea:
>
>For the rest of 2007, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
>biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are
>not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
>If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
>suit.
It's a great idea but I think most of us are too lazy to find out which of our local gas stations buys their gas from Exxon/Mobil.
I would love to start posting the names and locations of both; Stations to avoid (Exxon/Mobil supplied), and stations to buy gas from (ALL OTHERS).
I also think a web page with a national list broken down by state and even city would help the cause. But that is a bit beyond my capabilities.
See what you can do to at least spread the word.

In my very limited spare time, I'm going to start contacting local chains here in Youngstown to see if I can find they're supplier.

If anyone is willing to help or has any other ideas to share, Please feel free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM

3,930 posts, read 7,774,735 times
You know, if we had decent mass transit in this country, the gas prices wouldn't be such a big issue, but here is the situation. We live in Northwest Ohio, within 10 miles of an Amtrak station. Our kids live in Hamilton, just north of Cincy. It takes us about 3 1/2 hours to drive it and uses about a half tank of gas. I just checked the schedule and rates on Amtrak. We would catch the train in Bryan at 7:05 AM and go to Chicago. If everything is on time (not likely) it would take 3 hrs and 40 min to get there. We would then wait to catch a train to Cincinnati that is an 8 hr 17 min trip. We would arrive in Cincinnati at 3:02 am the next day, total travel time if on schedule...19 hours and 57 minutes. In addition, the fare for two of us is $164 one-way...Why would anyone even consider that.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,529,547 times
Exclamation Snopes has already determined that is nearly impossible

Although it does sound like an idea, it is nearly impossible to pull off. Fact is, Exxon and Texaco are the largest suppliers - but, they also supply the little guy if you trace it back. So, yeah, you can purchase from smaller XYZ company, but the profit still goes back to the big company because that is where XYZ gets it.

For those that REALLY want to do something... get in touch with your local representatives!!! Let them know how the price gauging is hurting you and your family. Let them know that we don't have an acceptable mass transit system and maybe we should consider changes. There is also a bill up for vote that would make price guaging illegal for oil companies and punishable by prison time... would this help us? Figure it out....

We need to pull together and speak as a nation. Too many are sitting around like mindless robots and just ACCEPTING what is happening to America's people - when will everyone wake up??

FACT: Price per barrle of crude oil is currently $7 cheaper than it was a year ago... HOWEVER ... we are paying nearly $1 per gallon MORE than what we paid this time last year!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 AM

332 posts, read 2,159,224 times
Or... we could get our local politicians and the government to invest in faster and more efficient mass transit. This would wein us off gasoline and funding our terrorist "friends", be better for the environment and be much more sustainable. Oil won't be around forever.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 PM

Or we could buy gas from Shell and BP as they are Exxon/Mobil's largest competitors. I highly doubt they would buy oil from Exxon/Mobil. It might hurt the "mom and pop" owned stations, but some of them could always get their supply from Shell or BP.

I seriously doubt our politicians are going to do anything as there is too much big oil money to lose.

I agree oil won't be here forever. Thats why I'm also researching how to convert my car to run on Ethanol. Problem is the EPA hasn't passed any conversions yet. So if you convert your vehicle, it would be "illegal" in the eyes of the federal govt.

I'm open to mass transit, I just don't think the majority of Americans will go for it.

In the meantime lets keep this discussion going. We could all learn a little something.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Although it does sound like an idea, it is nearly impossible to pull off. Fact is, Exxon and Texaco are the largest suppliers - but, they also supply the little guy if you trace it back. So, yeah, you can purchase from smaller XYZ company, but the profit still goes back to the big company because that is where XYZ gets it.
Now please don't think I'm attacking you, but that statement is what I meant by us being too lazy. We have to ask who supplies their gas, then contact the supplier, and so on until we know it didn't come from Exxon/Mobil.

And the "Snopes thing"; That kinda falls into the "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true!" category.

Again I mean no disrespect. I plan on reading the snopes article and any other writings on this matter. Please provide links so we can all make up our own minds.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM

Well Sheetz is claiming they buy their gas after it has been Imported and refined. http://www.sheetz.com/main/about/faqs.cfm#q6
They buy their gas "indirectly via the New York Mercantile Exchange (Nymex). We are then supplied with the actual gasoline product by three main U.S. refineries who are in the business of purchasing and refining crude oil."
Their supply being unknown and so many other known options available in this area I'm going to avoid buying gas there. (Still love the coffee!)

Chevron-Texaco, BP, Marathon-Ashland, and Royal Dutch-Shell are all top companies competing with Exxon-Mobil.
Marathon-Ashland run the Gastown/Speedway/Starvin Marvin chains in this area.

I will try asking at some of the smaller locally owned stations in the area.

Last edited by Dako; 05-23-2007 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: correcting names

Old 05-23-2007, 03:49 PM

My apologies, Sheetz replied to my email. They buy from Sunoco and ConocoPhillips refineries, ConocoPhillips is a competitor of Exxon-Mobil, Still checking on Sunoco.

I'm starting to notice that Exxon-Mobil do not have a strong hold here. Perhaps we should consider cutting out the #2 Company as well. Most places I look that seems to be BP.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM

332 posts, read 2,159,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dako View Post

I'm open to mass transit, I just don't think the majority of Americans will go for it.

In the meantime lets keep this discussion going. We could all learn a little something.
It will be sort of a hard sell especially to those who think buses and trains are for the poor or underprivledged, but when it starts taking $100.00 to fill up a tank, I feel people will start to budge.

RTA's ridership is the highest its been in years and accounts for half of all of Ohio's mass transit riders. Transit authoirties across the nation are reporting increases in ridership.

I just believe we should start planning for sustainability, so lets keep this discussion going.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 PM

143 posts, read 393,770 times
The main things that WE can do as gasoline purchasers:
1. Buy a fuel-efficient car.
2. Combine trips, don't drive "for pleasure" and carpool with people from your neighborhood
3. Live closer to where you work - there should be little reason to commute more than a few miles, and if that's the case, check into a bicycle;
4. Driving long distances is still often more time efficient than taking the train; automobiles pollute LESS than airplanes;
5. Take mass transit when possible and feasible - often it is NOT, since buses/trains run infrequently.

Take responsibility for OUR part in this: drive less, buy an efficient car, and pressure your Congressperson to press for more efficient CAFE standards, and attend your local city/county council meetings to press for better, cleaner buses. This is not rocket science people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio