Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM

56 posts, read 264,481 times

Advertisements

36. Columbus
38. Cincinnati-Middletown
84. Dayton
87. Springfield
120. Toledo
202. Sandusky
236. Canton-Massillon
269. Youngstown-Warren-Boardman
285. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor
290. Mansfield
298. Akron
336. Lima

Basis of rankings: economy & jobs, costs of living, climate, education, health & healthcare, crime, transportation, leisure, arts & culture, quality of life

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Wow, I knew Lima was hurting, but I never knew it was that bad... O_o

Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM

40 posts, read 207,270 times
It's interesting that they compiled this list with all metros being ranked together regardless of size. If this were categorized and had a group of metros of 1 million or more, for example, it looks like Columbus would have been sixth and Cincinnati would have been seventh.

I am sure things like cost and crime hurt bigger cities, but they did not include things like college sports, pro sports, arts, restaurants etc. This seems like it would have given larger cities more of an advantage, which is probably why they fare better in rankings like the one done by the Places Rated Almanac. I guess if you do not care about activities available in your city the way they have done this makes sense, but it seems skewed.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCty View Post
they did not include things like college sports, pro sports, arts, restaurants etc. This seems like it would have given larger cities more of an advantage, which is probably why they fare better in rankings like the one done by the Places Rated Almanac.
I can't say for sure as I haven't seen the actual book yet, but I would bet that those kinds of amenities were included in the rankings. Of the ten categories upon which the rankings were based that I listed in my initial post, the two categories under which they may have been included are leisure and quality of life (arts were definitely included, as one of the categories is arts & culture). For example, when you click on 'About the book' in the link in my initial post, it gives a few examples of some of the detailed information in the book, and one of those examples is number of Starbucks.

Speaking of Places Rated Almanac, does anybody know if there are plans for another one of those? They used to come out with a new edition every three of four years, but there haven't been any since the Millennium Edition that was published 7 or 8 years ago. It almost seems as if Cities Ranked & Rated has replaced it; the first edition came out in 2004 and the second edition came out this year.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:31 PM

86 posts, read 376,499 times
Why are Cincinnati and Middletown ranked together?... I'm not quite sure I understand that.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM

138 posts, read 979,025 times
I also have the new CITIES: Ranked & Rated (2007 edition).

I think the book is a very good resource. However, I have issues with the JUMPS & DROPS in RANKINGS, from previous editions. -Previous edition was 2004.

EXAMPLE: In the 2007 edition, Toledo, Ohio is ranked 120. But in the 2004 edition, Toledo was ranked 267. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong here. How can this possibly be ? The economic climate in TOLEDO hasn't improved any. Not much changes in Toledo. How does a city IMPROVE from 267 to 120, in just 3 years ?

According to this book, the U.S. average unemployment rate was 4.7% Toledo has a 6.7% unemployment rate. But Toledo still improved in the rankings ?

There are several variables the authors use, to arrive at a score. While home prices skyrocketed around most big cities around the country, the past few years, Toledo's home prices rose.....but to the degree it did in many other places. Thus, a lower cost of living (in Toledo), might have helped Toledo in the COST OF LIVING segment.

Some other WILD JUMPS or DROPS, I saw in the book:

Tacoma, Washington was ranked 59th in 2004, but dropped to 272 in 2007. It doesn't seem reasonable, that a city could DROP THAT FAR, in just 3 years.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota was ranked 100th in 2004 edition, but FELL to 215th, in 2007 edition.

Green Bay, Wisconsin: Was ranked 108th in 2004....but DROPPED to 283rd in 2007 edition.

Fort Wayne, Indiana: Was ranked 102nd in 2004....and 117th, in 2007. This sort of marginal CHANGE, seems reasonable. But for RANKINGS to jump or fall 100 or 150 places, in just 3 years....seems flawed.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2007 View Post
Why are Cincinnati and Middletown ranked together?... I'm not quite sure I understand that.
Despite the title of the book - Cities Ranked & Rated - the rankings are of the metropolitan areas, not just the principal cities. Cincinnati-Middletown is the official name given to the 15-county Cincinnati metropolitan statistical area (MSA) by the Census Bureau, which classifies both Cincinnati and Middletown as principal cities within the MSA. Likewise, the Cleveland MSA is officially named Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor. OTOH, the Columbus MSA is just named Columbus because the Census Bureau does not classify any of the other cities within it as principal cities.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBuckeye View Post
Speaking of Places Rated Almanac, does anybody know if there are plans for another one of those? They used to come out with a new edition every three of four years, but there haven't been any since the Millennium Edition that was published 7 or 8 years ago. It almost seems as if Cities Ranked & Rated has replaced it; the first edition came out in 2004 and the second edition came out this year.
Actually a new one came out recently that is being self-published by one of the original authors. In the interest of not providing free advertising, I'd encourage you to google the name of the book. You should see the website where it is being offered at the top of the page.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 AM

40 posts, read 207,270 times
I did not see these categories in the link so I assumed they were not included. You probably know this better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBuckeye View Post
I can't say for sure as I haven't seen the actual book yet, but I would bet that those kinds of amenities were included in the rankings. Of the ten categories upon which the rankings were based that I listed in my initial post, the two categories under which they may have been included are leisure and quality of life (arts were definitely included, as one of the categories is arts & culture). For example, when you click on 'About the book' in the link in my initial post, it gives a few examples of some of the detailed information in the book, and one of those examples is number of Starbucks.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM

422 posts, read 758,341 times
It's interesting to see Toledo finish in the top half. Toledo is usually at the bottom of these lists.

The biggest issue in America these days is the affordability of housing (which would be a surprise to a lot of Ohioans). If you don't believe me surf the Florida, California, and New York forums and read about all the 20 something professionals living with their parents because they can't afford a decent place in a safe area.

Places with cheaper real estate have become a lot more attractive suddenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio