Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,364,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I'm sure MK means California. Ohio is way better than California, I'm returning
home in about a month myself.
Yes,

It was a response to someone leaving California for Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM

118 posts, read 277,989 times
Wow, strange how this thread has twisted in and out.....from tats to Amish people. For the record, I have nothing against people with ink; and I not only have a few myself, but also love women with ink...the more, the better!

Next, some posters seemed to think I was so stupid that I would just "up and move" somewhere without having another job already lined up. Sorry to dissappoint a few of you ladies and gents, but it is indeed working with the Marine Corps, and it is a federal gig. (Thanks for paying my salary, haters! ) I have all the shopping and restaurants I could ever want within a 10 minute drive. Because of the very heavy Marine presence, most people tend to be polite and friendly because of their military bearing and discipline. Riddle me this: When's the last time any of you die-hard, loyal citizens of Ohio had a 22 year old kid hold open a door for you and call you "sir" without a second thought.....on a regular basis? Check the stats on this very site; the crime rate index is lower than the national average. I feel quite safe, day or night.

I will concede that it is hot and humid on the coast down here......which I will take over northern Ohio's cold, grey clouds any day of the week. As for dealing with the "Rednecks", the naitives I've met here have a wonderful, syrupy-polite charm. Very down to earth and patriotic.....unlike the sarcasm and general apathy I've often encountered up north.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,364,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
Wow, strange how this thread has twisted in and out.....from tats to Amish people. For the record, I have nothing against people with ink; and I not only have a few myself, but also love women with ink...the more, the better!

Next, some posters seemed to think I was so stupid that I would just "up and move" somewhere without having another job already lined up. Sorry to dissappoint a few of you ladies and gents, but it is indeed working with the Marine Corps, and it is a federal gig. (Thanks for paying my salary, haters! ) I have all the shopping and restaurants I could ever want within a 10 minute drive. Because of the very heavy Marine presence, most people tend to be polite and friendly because of their military bearing and discipline. Riddle me this: When's the last time any of you die-hard, loyal citizens of Ohio had a 22 year old kid hold open a door for you and call you "sir" without a second thought.....on a regular basis? Check the stats on this very site; the crime rate index is lower than the national average. I feel quite safe, day or night.

I will concede that it is hot and humid on the coast down here......which I will take over northern Ohio's cold, grey clouds any day of the week. As for dealing with the "Rednecks", the naitives I've met here have a wonderful, syrupy-polite charm. Very down to earth and patriotic.....unlike the sarcasm and general apathy I've often encountered up north.

Happy Fathers Day

YouTube - U S A MILITARY MARCH TAPS ON TRUMPET (DEDICATED TO FAT JOE)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 PM

16,471 posts, read 19,501,916 times
Boo yah

Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,896,973 times
Quote:

Dude, i hope you're not saying Jacksonville, NC is better than Ohio. I've been there, my brother is a teacher there and it's a hole w/some newer housing, a crappy mall, and nothing to do except go to the beach unless you drive at least an hour in a half. Everything is in Raleigh or Wilmington.

I don't know where you're from in Ohio, maybe if you're from some rural area w/nothing Jacksonville will be an improvement, but it's no improvement from my metro. Jacksonville is known for strip clubs, tattoo parlors and bars, just the kind of place i want to live.

Oh, and about 22 year old Marines..........i'm sure most of them do act polite, but according to my brother's g/f who's from there, many of those young marines sexually harass the young teenage girls. She recalls going to the movies several times in high school and these guys acting like a bunch of pigs. I'm not saying all marines are like that or that other guys don't do that, but there is such a high concentration there it's much more prevalent. Thanks for serving our country, maybe once you see the world you'll realize Ohio isn't all that bad.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Dude, i hope you're not saying Jacksonville, NC is better than Ohio. I've been there, my brother is a teacher there and it's a hole w/some newer housing, a crappy mall, and nothing to do except go to the beach unless you drive at least an hour in a half. Everything is in Raleigh or Wilmington.

I don't know where you're from in Ohio, maybe if you're from some rural area w/nothing Jacksonville will be an improvement, but it's no improvement from my metro. Jacksonville is known for strip clubs, tattoo parlors and bars, just the kind of place i want to live.

Oh, and about 22 year old Marines..........i'm sure most of them do act polite, but according to my brother's g/f who's from there, many of those young marines sexually harass the young teenage girls. She recalls going to the movies several times in high school and these guys acting like a bunch of pigs. I'm not saying all marines are like that or that other guys don't do that, but there is such a high concentration there it's much more prevalent. Thanks for serving our country, maybe once you see the world you'll realize Ohio isn't all that bad.
CortlandGirl-

Oh yes, make no mistake, I am saying that it IS better. No, I am not saying it is all a bed of roses. But let me clarify for you. Jacksonville does have a few cons: It is very crowded; and growing like a weed. Traffic is bad, and one has to often go on a wait for good housing if you rent.

You are incorrect about there is nothing to do. Onslow beach is quite fun, and not far at all. I've seen/read "There is nothing to do" on so many threads it isn't funny. Like everywhere, you just have to get out and find it. For example, if you want a bit of quiet nature: Where I live there is a wonderful, park area complete with miles of trails for bikes and walking. Nice, green, and quiet with that great pine scent all around.

Yes, the city is very young; the average age is 23 if I'm not mistaken. But as far as "negative experiences" with the Marines, you yourself clearly said that you are relying on hearsay: My-brother's-girlfriend's-cousin's-sister's- aunt, twice-removed is not exactly the most relaible source. (I'm exaggerating to make a point.) Sure, you will have jackass kids even in the most quiet of bedroom communities. But I DO feel far, far safer walking around at night here in most neighborhoods than I did in the Akron area where I am from.

Finally, the strip clubs and tattoo parlors are generally confined to Western and Route 24. The residential areas are not bad; and new housing is being built right now. Really, it ain't dat bad! By the bay, thanks for the props about my service; and I appreciate the above plug-in of "taps".

By the way, I've seen 12 different countries and about 35 of the states.......some of them gawd-awful, and some very charming. So I think I can safely say "I've seen the world", perhaps more so than you.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,397,678 times
The op should check out Virginia Beach and see if her idea of utopia does not change. All military, all tourism, in fact if you do not have a security clearance do not even try unless you plan on being in a call center for 10 years. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the service industry observation is about right. Very transitional; do not know my neighbors, hardly know the people I work with. Very high cost of living in comparison of prices

Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,397,678 times
In fact I miss Ohio already, but I am still "getting my fix" of this place. Low crime, a lot of outsiders, primarily from NorthEast. South isn't end all to be all.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
The op should check out Virginia Beach and see if her idea of utopia does not change. All military, all tourism, in fact if you do not have a security clearance do not even try unless you plan on being in a call center for 10 years. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the service industry observation is about right. Very transitional; do not know my neighbors, hardly know the people I work with. Very high cost of living in comparison of prices
Make that a "He", not a "Her". And I did not say anything about 'utopia' in my posts; only that I much prefer the area to Ohio by comparison. (Why do several people on this thread put words into my mouth?) You are correct on some of your points; most people here are transplants. I am new to the area, so can't say as to knowing my neighbors yet. Folks wave to each other a lot while walking on the neighborhood streets and in the parks, as well as saying good morning quite a bit. It's refreshing......

Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,381,469 times
Quote:
Make that a "He", not a "Her". And I did not say anything about 'utopia' in my posts; only that I much prefer the area to Ohio by comparison. (Why do several people on this thread put words into my mouth?) You are correct on some of your points; most people here are transplants. I am new to the area, so can't say as to knowing my neighbors yet. Folks wave to each other a lot while walking on the neighborhood streets and in the parks, as well as saying good morning quite a bit. It's refreshing......
So I take it you are finally GONE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio