Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I transfered into OU from UO (University of Oregon) originally from California and I have a few things I want to say and questions. I am really enjoying my time here but its a lot different than back home and I wonder if there are any ways to fill those voids of reminiscence.

First of all, is there really no good grocery stores? Every time I pass a new grocery store my hopes get up as I drop on in and its just more of the same. I was so used to trader joes and whole foods. Is there anything remotely similar to those grocery stores? Somebody mentioned a place called forward foods, and I wasn't too impressed.

Also what is up with the lack of sidewalks? Is it just me?

If I wanted to take my mother somewhere nice in the Oklahoma City area for restaurants what would you recommend? Anything goes. What is your favorite place?

I am happy here and the people here are really nice. The campus is beautiful and well kept up. I am still trying to get over the miles and miles of strip malls. What would be a good place to take my mother for the day around the area? We were thinking of driving up to Tulsa (partially to fulfill my whole foods craving) to see what else is in Oklahoma.

appreciate any input for this newbie,

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Hi,

We were thinking of driving up to Tulsa (partially to fulfill my whole foods craving) to see what else is in Oklahoma.

Thanks
I think you will enjoy visiting Tulsa.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Hi,

I transfered into OU from UO (University of Oregon) originally from California and I have a few things I want to say and questions. I am really enjoying my time here but its a lot different than back home and I wonder if there are any ways to fill those voids of reminiscence.

First of all, is there really no good grocery stores? Every time I pass a new grocery store my hopes get up as I drop on in and its just more of the same. I was so used to trader joes and whole foods. Is there anything remotely similar to those grocery stores? Somebody mentioned a place called forward foods, and I wasn't too impressed.

If I wanted to take my mother somewhere nice in the Oklahoma City area for restaurants what would you recommend? Anything goes. What is your favorite place?

I am happy here and the people here are really nice. The campus is beautiful and well kept up. I am still trying to get over the miles and miles of strip malls. What would be a good place to take my mother for the day around the area? We were thinking of driving up to Tulsa (partially to fulfill my whole foods craving) to see what else is in Oklahoma.

Thanks
Earl's Rib Palace in Bricktown (next to the theater/Bass Pro Shop) is some of the best BBQ you can put in your mouth.

Enjoy.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:43 AM

30 posts, read 62,592 times
i live on the west side of Norman and it seems there are a lot of sidewalks on that side. several good restaurants on the west side by the highway also, including santa fe, jason's deli, johnnie carinos. I'm not familiar with tulsa but i've heard good things.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Quote:
First of all, is there really no good grocery stores?
Probably the best new grocery store I've been in for this area is the Crest #7 at SW 104th and May Avenue in Oklahoma City. There are a few too many people for me but it is undeniably an excellent store for this area.

A new Whole Foods is under construction near NW 63rd and Classen in Oklahoma City.

Quote:
No, it isn't just you. There was a long period when sidewalks were not required in developments.

Quote:
There are so many great places to eat. Guess it kind of depends upon what you want and how much you want to spend. Red Prime Steak downtown is great. So is Mahogany, Boulevard in Edmond, and Ranch. Royal Bavaria for German in Moore. So many good places.

I'd suggest taking a look at eataroundokc.com or use Open Table.

Quote:
What would be a good place to take my mother for the day around the area?
There are so many great places for day trips. You could stay in OKC for that matter and need well more than a day. I always enjoy driving up to Ponca City to visit the Marland Mansion and stop by Pawnee Bill's. Or down to Lawton. Or see the Price Tower in Bartlesville. Talimena Drive and stay at Queen Wilhelmina in Arkansas if you have time. Take a look at Travel OK.

Quote:
We were thinking of driving up to Tulsa (partially to fulfill my whole foods craving) to see what else is in Oklahoma.
Can't go wrong in Tulsa. You could spend a week and not be disappointed.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Sadly this area does lack decent grocery stores. Even Tulsa puts our grocery stores to shame ! I don't know how true this is, but the story is this area was (or is) the official test market for Wal Mart, and they made a concerted effort to push out their competition over the last decade, the result is what you see today. Your best bet is small little specialty stores. Try Native Roots in Norman or Crescent Market in OKC.

Local, Natural and Organic Food of Norman, OK -::- Native Roots

The Crescent Market - Good Things to Eat

I would second the Crest on the southside. There's a plethora of small farmer's markets around here, although I would imagine as we move in the fall season many may be wrapping up. My favorite would be Urban Agrarian Food Market at NW 23rd and Hudson in OKC, if you want to make the drive. Here's a youtube video of their operation.

YouTube - Urban Agrarian Local Food Market Oklahoma City

As far as new restaurants, OKC has way more to offer. I guess if your in the mood for "Oklahoma-centric" food with an upscale twist, I would recommend one of the Goof Egg Group restaurants. Here's 3 of my favorites:

RED Prime Steak Downtown Oklahoma City Gourmet Restaurant Dining Near Bricktown Fine Wines Steakhouse

Iron Starr Urban Barbeque

Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Oklahoma City

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to Oklahoma!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 765,178 times
Everyone has answered pretty well! Just be patient for Whole Foods opening soon on Classen.

I always enjoy the idea that as a young person in Oklahoma City and Norman we can participate in the economic, cultural, and urban revivals of this area. While you were used to a lot of great things in California and Oregon, we have a lot of great things in Oklahoma too, and we can take part in riding the current wave of improvements sweeping this metropolitan area. Swellings of art, music, fashion, population shifts from other regions, innovative urban policies, and local pride are fueling an economic revolution that will make Oklahoma an astonishingly better place every day for a long time to come. So even though we may not have everything now, consider yourself a pioneer and contribute to our community's renaissance.

Take your mom around Norman, show her our beautiful campus and museums, stop by Big Truck Tacos in OKC for lunch and visit the state capitol or museums in OKC. Tulsa is nice if you're looking for a longer day trip, some good museums like the Philbrook and some interesting urban neighborhoods similar to the ones that have been popping up all over OKC.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Thank you for the valuable information everyone. I really appreciate it.

I must say of the restaurants I have been to, my favorites so far are Legends and padthai both in Norman. I know my mom would love to have some really good BBQ, so thank you all for the suggestions. I am a German food lover, and I have heard good things about Royal Bavaria. I keep meaning to check it out.

Also thanks for the grocery store suggestions. I am looking forward to the completion of the Whole Foods, or back where I am from, Whole Paycheck. Hopefully a trader joes can come on in after seeing (hopefully) Whole Food's success.

We do plan on going up to Tulsa for the day. Anybody know of any good restaurants up there? Or maybe I should post that in the Tulsa forum.

Oklahoma is a lot different than the west coast, but I am very much enjoying the differences. OU is a beautiful campus and the meteorology program is top notch.
Thanks again

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

30 posts, read 107,927 times
yes, by all means visit tulsa. we go a lot.

one of our favorite areas in tulsa is utica square which is an outdoor shopping area in the midtown section. it is a great place to walk and has several restaurants - flemings, pf chang, polo grill, pepper's etc. it is also near woodward park, rose garden, philbrook, etc.

near there are lot of great places in brookside area which is along peoria st from 21st to 41st. the whole foods is just east of peoria on 41st st.

in brookside there are many great restaurants and clubs.

have fun.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,745 times
Dude we moved here 2yrs ago and we still can't find any good food. BBQ is about as good as it gets and the Cha Time Noodle place in Norman has excellent Thai. Other than that ehh not much. Steaks out here are a joke and mexican food is really bad. Very bland. Grocery stores too are much to be desired. Im the same as u Im used to Whole Foods , Trader Joes and Central Market. Good luck finding anything close to that. I was happy with my Tom Thumb and Kroger now Im stuck going to Homeland which had the nerve to tell me that they never heard of a whole wheat english muffin??? Anyways hope you find something that works for you. Target is as close as your going to get to a good grocery store out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City