Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,582 times

Advertisements

Hi, just returned from a deployment a few weeks ago and noticed watermarks throughout my home. I called my insurance company and they immediately sent an adjuster.

During the adjuster's evaluation, he noted underpayment missing from the roof and provided me with pictures. There is absolute nothing between the wood frame and shingles.

My home was built in 2003 by a reputable OK builder and I would like to know if this is a building code violation to leave felt off of a roof install? I researched OK building codes, but found nothing for roofing.

Please help, need advice! Dee

P.S. Also, the adjuster mentioned something about the roof not having valley flashing. Not sure exactly what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
You'll have to check your local code on that issue.

The underlayment question has been argued at some length. The only reason that I've heard to omit underlayment is to prevent irregularities in the underlayment from showing in the finish roofing. I think a better solution is to install the underlayment so there are as few irregularities as possible.

The NRCA (National Roofing Contractors Association) recommends underlayment as does every contractor I know or have known.

I also think there should be valley flashing but it is possible to install the valleys in such a way that a separate flashing can be omitted.

Sounds like you need a good roofing contractor to help you decide.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,582 times
Default roofing

Thank you for your input. I live in OKC, but cannot locate any building codes for this area.

Also, should I speak with the builder on this? Maybe he is not aware the kind of work his roofers are providing?? I looked through my paperwork and see no warranty for the roof. If it is against code, can I ask the builder to fix it??

Thank you!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee35 View Post
Thank you for your input. I live in OKC, but cannot locate any building codes for this area.

Also, should I speak with the builder on this? Maybe he is not aware the kind of work his roofers are providing?? I looked through my paperwork and see no warranty for the roof. If it is against code, can I ask the builder to fix it??

Thank you!
I think Oklahoma City uses IBC but I have no idea how to look it up. Honestly I do not believe there is a specific requirement for roofing but could be wrong.

It would not hurt to speak to your builder and tell him what the adjustor told you and get his explanation if any.

I doubt you have a formal warranty if you don't find anything specific in your documents. You might ask the builder if there is a manufacturer's warranty or at least who manufactured the shingles on your home. If he knows then it would be good to see if that manufacturer requires an underlay and what the valley specification might be.

I doubt there is much you can do now legally since the house was built in 2003 but I'm certainly not an expert.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 26,881 times
Oklahoma City uses the 2003 International Building Code

The building code for roofing states that underlayment is to be used. The underlayment provides moisture protection for the decking and leaks from the roof. The 2 most common types are 15# felt and 30# felt depending on the slope (how steep) of the roof. Valleys are to have flashing, it can be metal flashing or an ice and water shield. Valleys are a common area for leaks if not roofed correctly.

I would say the roofing crew took some majot shortcuts installing your roof. I would definitely talk to the builder, but I wouldnt expect much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City