Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times

Advertisements

By one measure, Oklahoma ranks second in the nation in interracial marriages. Its nothing like the rest of the Southern US. The historical white-native american mix in OK put a damper on this being an issue a long time ago.

In OKC, I really don't think that's an issue save for a few scattered slackjawed bigots, which you will run to everywhere.

I'm AA, and have dated a Latina and a Vietnamese girl and I had not problem.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM

130 posts, read 386,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
By one measure, Oklahoma ranks second in the nation in interracial marriages. Its nothing like the rest of the Southern US. The historical white-native american mix in OK put a damper on this being an issue a long time ago.

In OKC, I really don't think that's an issue save for a few scattered slackjawed bigots, which you will run to everywhere.

Thanks Bass&Catfish 2008, I'm glad to hear this.

I'm in a bw/wm long term relationship, so I have had some concerns. I never thought of OKC until the last couple of months as a possible option for me. My kids are black and multiracial, and just like me, they do not identify with or tolerate much racial strife or ignorance.

#1soonerfan, Do you happen to know what state ranks first in the nation for interracial marriages? Just curious.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Many years ago, some rural towns had a law that African Americans could work in the white town, but, had to be outside the city limits by 6pm. I presume that's why there are quite a few all black settlements or towns not ever very far from a larger town. Of course, those laws have been outlawed a longtime, but, I once lived in one of the towns where that law had been enforced and there were still no black people living there. That was a lifetime ago, so, everything has probably changed more than I can imagine.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
I moved to OKC a couple months ago and I see more black/white couples here than anywhere I've lived before.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
ALL-BLACK TOWNS

Quote:
The All-Black towns of Oklahoma represent a unique chapter in American history. Nowhere else, neither in the Deep South nor in the Far West, did so many African American men and women come together to create, occupy, and govern their own communities. From 1865 to 1920 African Americans created more than fifty identifiable towns and settlements, some of short duration and some still existing at the beginning of the twenty-first century.
Quote:
E. P. McCabe, a former state auditor of Kansas, helped found Langston and encouraged African Americans to settle in that All-Black town. To further his cause, McCabe established the Langston City Herald and circulated it, often by means of traveling agents, throughout the South. McCabe hoped that his tactics would create an African American political power block in Oklahoma Territory. Other African American leaders had a vision of an All-Black state. Although this dream was never realized, many All-Black communities sprouted and flourished in the rich topsoil of the new territory and, after 1907, the new state.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,555 times
Cant seem to get stright anwsers. We were thinking of Moving to Lawton, my wife is fillipinna, i am white. Would there be racisum against her ? Or do you think its more against blacks. Thank You

Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Can't imagine you having a problem in Lawton, especially since it is such a huge military town. I have a cousin who is married to a Philippino he lives in Broken Arrow and they have never mention any problems.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
Much was decided before you were born. Jenny Holtzer

We all deal with the elements of a world we enter, and, collectively, we can learn over a lifetime what is to be improved, then do it! Racism is a fact in 2013 that limits opportunities for those most disadvantaged from childhood on. But racism is not a human condition impossible to eradicate. We are all responsible to see the end of the racism we inherited.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Interracial Dating Is A Much Better Measure

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post

I'm a AA raise in Metro/CSA Tulsa Oklahoma 1952 to 1978 " transplant California 33 yrs (6 to 8 other state)
Interracial Dating Is A Much Better Measure

Top 20 States For Interracial Dating (INFOGRAPHIC)

Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM

56 posts, read 112,995 times
OKC is infested with white women who date blacks.. If that's what you're into, OKC is the place for you (particularly NW OKC and MWC)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City