Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with this? We are looking to adopt a child, 5 years old or younger. We have turned in our application, but we are not sure if this is possible or if we are wasting our time.

Thank you,
Leisha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM

81 posts, read 353,674 times
my wife and i adopted but i can offer you no advice. it was an in-family adoption that was contested, multiple hearings and whatnot. nothing i can tell you would be of any help really, other than stick to your desires and keep the goal of giving a child a good life at the forefront.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 29,516 times
Good luck to you. Adopting can be such a wonderful experience.

I can't speak for Oklahoma but in a previous life, I handled that sort of thing in another state. Generally, the child would stay with you for a probationary type period to see if it is a good fit. Sometimes you'll get a child who has been removed from the bio parents but their parental rights have not yet been severed. They will place such children in potential adoptive homes in an effort to avoid disrupting the child, further, even though no one is sure that the child will actually be adoptable or if it will be returned to the bio family. That can make for a long, emotionally exhausting process if they fight it but it is what it is.

It is often easier/more likely that babies will be adopted than older children because parents often fight harder to keep older children and the child may have a relationship with extended family. But all cases are different.

My suggestion is to be sure to find out the child's background, be it a baby or an older child. Children come to DHS as the result of abuse/neglect nearly all the time and there may be medical or emotional issues that will have to be dealt with. I don't say that to discourage you - just mainly to suggest that you seek out assistance, early, if you take in a child like that. Some children do fantastic and some not so well. If their parents used drugs during pregnancy or have a history of mental illness, it could impact a child even if the child has not been abused or neglected.

Bless you for considering this. I saw many children who were raised in abusive homes and it always amazed me how resilient they were. With loving parents, the chances are excellent that things would go well.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 AM

14 posts, read 34,726 times
We adopted from okdhs . Get ready for a long ride. ( our children was older children adoption so can't help with the under 5 age).

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM

304 posts, read 884,863 times
Did I ever answer you? I'm so old, I can't remember!

Please let us know how your process is going?!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,928,877 times
Bless you for adopting. You're doing a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City