U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:51 AM

8 posts, read 15,965 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am considering applying for a job as a Probation Officer in Oklahoma City. However I read on the interracial thread about anti-muslim sentiment in Oklahoma City. Being a muslim myself I am a little concerned about this. I don't want to move there if I am going to be discriminated against. The thing is being Caucasian I don't look Muslim, or at least don't fit the stereotype. However once people find out I don't want to worry about being mistreated in anyway because of it. Are my fears justified? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 AM

533 posts, read 1,604,204 times
I have little doubt that there is some anti-Muslim bias somewhere in the metropolitan area. But the same holds for any other faith including atheism and Christianity.

Here in Moore the only family I knew for sure was Muslim was a family that owned the cleaners I used and the women wore the burqa. I did not observe anyone treating them differently and that was about 9/11/2001. In fact I know for a fact that on several occasions customers went out of their way to let the people know they were supported around that time. But the last time I went there they weren't there and I don't know why.

I know several people from Norman of Iranian descent but I don't really know if they are Muslim or not. I know one of them came during the long ago hostage crisis and started his business. He has been quite successful by all appearances.

I think Oklahomans in general are more interested in individuals than groups. And everyone in Oklahoma came from somewhere else.

Oklahoma and Oklahomans are not really like the stereotypical portrayals in the media.

Added:
But very likely you are better off trying to find some Muslims that live here and ask them. You might try one of the foreign student groups at OU or look up local mosques and contact them. If there were any bias I would suspect it would be in Norman because of the Zacarias Moussaoui connection.

Last edited by flintysooner; 08-03-2007 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: thought of something I should add

Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,048,672 times
Here is a link you might find helpful:

The American Muslim Association of Oklahoma City - Home

I agree with Flintysooner that there is anti-all religions bias in Oklahoma City. I have experienced some of that myself as a Catholic (non practicing now), but I have never been mistreated, it's just a little irritating. Most of the population is Protestant Christian, and they also have sentiments against each other. Religion is a big deal here, but I have never heard of any incidents that turned serious. People just discuss religion more openly here.

Here is a picture from the above website showing installation of the new dome on the new masjid in OKC. Hey, we love domes here!!! (That's an inside joke not related to any religion)

http://amaokc.com/components/com_expose/expose/img/alb_21/img_1186011810_574.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by peggydavis; 08-03-2007 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM

32,869 posts, read 18,965,679 times
If being a Muslim is not going to interfere with your job performance, then I would not worry about other people's narrow mindedness. Just my perspective.

While off work, consider that you will likely be going home to rest (that job is mentally exhausting) and where you go during your free time will determine how much discrimination you will receive. Its not like you will be going door to door and asking people what they think of your beliefs.

My personal opinion, which doesn't matter a whole lot, is you are worrying about something that isn't going to be that big an issue. There are a lot of muslims within the correctional system, and you will likely be meeting more than most Oklahomans would through your contacts there.

I think your main concern is researching the job itself. From what I hear, OKC has a high turnover in their PPO's. I know someone who just left the rural area and took a PPO position in OKC. Each person has their own preferences as to where they would like to work as a PPO. That should be your primary concern.

I know too many college kids going into corrections and not realizing what they are getting into. Most people cut their teeth in DOC as a correctional officer, then make the jump to PPO.

Good luck whatever your decision is and feel free to PM me regarding the ins and outs of DOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City