Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 22,525 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are considering a move from Sacramento, CA to a historical neighborhood near Oklahoma City. My dream home would be a Victorian or a Colonial style home. I am looking for a family oriented neighborhood with a good school district. My son will be starting Kindergarten next year. Can anyone tell me what a median price range would be for a historical home?

Thank you

Robin Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Hi Robin

How strict is your definition of historical neighborhood? Do you mean it should be listed on the National Register of Historical Places or just a neighborhood of beautiful, well kept, 100 year old houses? Also, how close to OKC?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:57 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Here's a list of the historic neighborhoods in Oklahoma City
City of Oklahoma City | Historic Preservation
Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Edgemere, Crown Heights - all great neighborhoods. I suppose I would prefer Heritage or Mesta but really just a matter of personal choice. I really don't know about schools as I am way out of that age.

There is a small neighborhood in Norman you might like
Historic District (http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/planning/Revitalization/Historic_District.htm - broken link)

I'm not sure about Edmond

Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 AM

There is a small neighborhood in Edmond, around Boulevard. It is not listed as a historic neighborhood, though. Not too much available in Victorian or Colonial that I know of, though.

Guthrie has a large historic district with many homes, apparently the largest historic district in the United States. Here's a link:

Visiting Guthrie, Oklahoma: Part of the Largest Historic District ...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM

OK, I did a search on one of the real estate sites, and I found a house (Victorian) that is described as built in 1893, totally restored by the Historical Society in Guthrie. Six beds, 4 baths, cottage (formerly servants?) comes with it. It is listed at over $370,000. The school district is listed as Guthrie/St. Mary's Catholic schools.

Heritage Hills, Mesta, Edgemere (my favorite) will also need consideration of private schools, but are very beautiful.

Norman is cool. My daughter lives in that historic district so we visit often. The football atmosphere could be a problem (noise, traffic), but the public schools are very good.

Hope this helps.

I found a historic home in Mesta Park 3 bed, 2 bath, looks well kept, list price is +$170,000. So I would say the price range is $170,000 to $400,000.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-21-2007 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-01-2007, 10:43 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
Default Cool....You like OKC..Then GREAT...IM LOVIN IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
OK, I did a search on one of the real estate sites, and I found a house (Victorian) that is described as built in 1893, totally restored by the Historical Society in Guthrie. Six beds, 4 baths, cottage (formerly servants?) comes with it. It is listed at over $370,000. The school district is listed as Guthrie/St. Mary's Catholic schools.

Heritage Hills, Mesta, Edgemere (my favorite) will also need consideration of private schools, but are very beautiful.

Norman is cool. My daughter lives in that historic district so we visit often. The football atmosphere could be a problem (noise, traffic), but the public schools are very good.

Hope this helps.

I found a historic home in Mesta Park 3 bed, 2 bath, looks well kept, list price is +$170,000. So I would say the price range is $170,000 to $400,000.
I enjoy the fact you like all the historic neighborhoods....Most do...Unless they just have a problem with OKC....How wierd can some people be....You know what I mean...HMMMM

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 22,525 times
Hi Peggy,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I have no strict definitions at all....The house doesn't even have to be historical. I want home with a colonial or victorian look. I read about the beautiful homes in Guthrie. I have also read alot of negative feedback about the town itself, so I am not sure about Guthrie, but am willing to keep my options open. I think we are looking to spend approximately in the low $200,000 range and were wondering if that is even possibe to find a roomy beautiful home. Of course we want a neighborhood with young children for our son whom is 4.

I love this city date forum! Everyone is so nice and helpful!

Robin Renee

Old 10-29-2007, 10:15 PM

It is possible but you are in the low price range for a home like that in a good school district such as Edmond or Norman. There are some good elementary schools in the Oklahoma City school district, like Sequoyah and Nichols Hills, and those are older areas. I don't know if there are that many homes that are colonial or victorian in this area to begin with. Other than some of those you might look into older areas of El Reno, Kingfisher or Shawnee.

It would actually be pretty easy to find a nice newer home in a good school district in that price range, but I don't really like the way they look much.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
When I was moving to OK I used realtor.com. I found it most helpful to me. I also called a few realtors.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM

I don't know who wrote this. I like this because it tells the architectural style of each listed neighborhood in OKC. I copied it from this site:
Western Oaks Apartments Apartments , 7408 NW 22nd, Bethany OK ...

[SIZE=2]Oklahoma City -- or OKC, as it is known in the local verbal shorthand -- is a rapidly growing city that has cultivated big-city diversity and modern sensibilities without losing its southern frontier charm. Just over 1 million people call Oklahoma City home; well, the city and the many quiet towns which dot its borders, that is. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Visitors are often surprised upon arriving in this little metropolis: no longer is it the harsh, parched land many imagine -- associating the city with memories of the 1930s "Dust Bowl" Oklahoma. No, this is a land of lakes, forests, rolling green hills, red rock canyons, big sky and beautiful sunsets. And blended into these delightful pockets of nature are the neighborhoods of the city. Every personality and taste has a place here, whether athletic-, artistic-, or business-minded.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cities around Oklahoma City. North: Guthrie Edmond West: Bethany Yukon Mustang El Reno [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East: Del City Midwest City Choctaw Shawnee South: Moore Norman [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Neigborhoods of Oklahoma City include: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cleveland- Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Minimal Traditional homes built in the 1930's and 40's. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Crestwood- Tudor Revival, Bungalow, and Spanish Eclectic homes built between 1924 and 1930. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Crown Heights-Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, and /Spanish Colonial Revival homes built between 1931 and 1942.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Gatewood- Tudor Revival, Bungalow and Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival homes built from 1915 to 35.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Heritage Hills- Mission, Georgian Revival, Chateauesque, and Prairie School homes built between 1902 and 1940.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Linwood Place- Tudor Revival, Craftsman, Spanish Eclectic, and Colonial Revival homes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Mesta Park-Prairie School, and Craftsman homes, built in the 1910's and 1920's. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Miller- Tudor Revival, Bungalow, and Mission homes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Shepherd-Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Spanish Eclectic and Craftsman homes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Areas of Town: Bricktown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, The Arts District, Inner Northside, Eastside, NW 39th Street, Enclave, The Paseo and Midtown, Bethany and Warr Acres, Mayfair and Belle Isle, Southside, Stockyards City, Capitol Hill and Riverside, Meridian Avenue/"Airport Heights"[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City