Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:09 PM

66 posts, read 245,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Oklahoma City is usually compared to Dallas because of I-35. Tulsa was an oil patch, most of which is in Houston now so Tulsa and Houston have a connection.
Bartlesville and Ponca City also have a Houston connection now, too. It's natural people are curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,739,762 times
Default Are you like from OKC????

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMGOK View Post
OKC is as far from being like Dallas as you can get. You are correct in that Tulsa is practically a smaller version of Dallas, right down to the short on-ramps on I-44.

Is it boring? Compared to what, and what do you want to do? I've been to Dallas, never touched Houston, so I'm not sure what these two have that you're looking for here.

It really does depend on what your tastes are. In OKC, for example, you almost have to go downtown to find places that stay open past 9pm on weeknights, and there are movie theaters. Liquor stores don't deliver, and they're not open at all on vote day until after the polls close (very archaic, I know), otherwise they close at 9 and are not open on Sunday. THAT sucks. If you work for a living, and get off at 6pm, between 6 and 10pm there are places to go and eat or read or shop. Not much of a theater district, though, although what little there is is very good.

I personally think that if you compare the two largest cities in Oklahoma, that Tulsa is the more "cosmopolitan" of the two. I think you'd need to actually drive 90 min southwest and find out for yourself, spend a couple weeks, and see if it's to your liking.

I understand about the impressions, though. There are people around the country who believe we all ride horses to work still!

Again this is not a OKC vs TULSA WAR. You clearly are bringin' it on......Look at past threads to take out your anger. You think everyone believes that OKC is that dead??? Pathetic...Give your silly opinion. NOW OKC IS NOT LIKE BIG D What so ever...WOW. GOOD GRIEF FOLKS LOOKS LIKE SOME PEOPLE HAVE THEIR ******* IN A WAD. Back to the game ...folks.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
I am moving from Arkansas to Okc. Can anyone tell me if Woodland Hills Apartments nice? and if so, does the area have a low crime rate?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Hi...Welcome to OKC:)

Here is an article from a great reliable source in OKC....One of my fav papers in OKC. An older article.....Im sure they have done the renovations by now!

The location is close to Downtown/Btown and the Adventure district....I have always loved the OKC zoo/Known across the nation as one of the best and is one of the oldest zoos in the SW.
The crime ...Well many might want to try to scare you (for whatever reason)...The area you are exploring has enjoyed a major renaissance and is becoming the place to be. I graduated from Oklahoma City University so I know the area like the back of my hand. Very ecclectic area and urbanized. Everytime I visit the area there is always something I find renovated or upgraded.

Here are some websites that can help you find some of the best shopping and great places to go...Enjoy
Downtown OKC > Home - 27k
Bricktown - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Dining, Shopping, Events - 16k
Visit Western Avenue - Oklahoma City's Unique Shopping, Dining & Entertainment District! - 34k
The Paseo Arts District - 23k -

Here is a website that can help you see or find some info on Woodland Hills or other apartments....
Oklahoma City Apartments and Rental Properties - 83k
Oklahoma City Apartments: Apartment Ratings and Reviews by ApartmentReviews.net - 24k -

Oklahoma City Woodland Hills Apartments sells for $3.975 million Oklahoma City Apartments and Rental Properties - 83k

Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City), Aug 11, 2006 by Kevan Goff-Parker
Oklahoma-based Sonray Development LLC has sold the Woodland Hills Apartments at 4641 Woodland Blvd. to New York-based Woodland Hills LLC for $3.975 million.
The Paseo Arts District - 23k
Tarenna Smith has been the manager of Woodland Hills Apartments since December 2004. She said Thursday that the 140-unit apartment complex is in a park-like setting just north of the Oklahoma Capitol.

The previous owners just did a wonderful, complete renovation of the property, with interior updates and some exterior, as well, Smith said. We are now a gated community in a nice, quiet wooded area that's just minutes away from the Oklahoma City Zoo - even peacocks from the zoo even frequent our apartment complex.

She said the 85,278-square-foot apartment complex has a diverse group of renters that includes everyone from graduate students attending Oklahoma City University to state legislators who like the location near the Oklahoma Capitol.

Filled at 90-percent capacity and built in 1963, Woodland Hills Apartment units rent for $415 for one-bedroom and one-bath units that range in size from 480 square feet to 626 square feet. The two- bedroom and one-bath and two-bedroom and two-bath units rent from $535 up to $595 and range in size from 867 square feet up to 925 square feet.

The brokers on the deal were Eva Wills, William Forrest and David Forrest with CB Richard Ellis/Oklahoma. The title company was Jackie Hatton with Capitol Abstract. Wills said the purchase was the buyer's first acquisition in Oklahoma.

They're a group of private investors who have had other investments for a number of years back East, Wills said. They plan to upgrade the exterior in terms of additional landscaping and aesthetic appeal.

Woodland Hills Apartments' amenities also include an outdoor swimming pool, laundry and exercise room.

Last edited by happytown; 09-17-2007 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,097 times
Still LOL at some of these posts. I'm originally from Houston, now in OKC for nearly 3 years. I don't know a single Houstonian who likes Dallas, and I haven't met too many people here with good things to say about Tulsa. I've been to Tulsa once, for a very quick stay, and I enjoyed it, but I think that both Dallas and Tulsa are perceived as bit snobby. At least that's what I gather from listening to people at work and in the neighborhood. All in all, every city is going to have it's good side and it's bad side.
Personally, I don't see OKC as a little Dallas (and will want to move it ever becomes so). I do see a similarity in OKC and Houston, some good, and some not so good. I live near Yukon, and I'm seeing scads of homes, apartments, and retail space being built (which is fine, but it really irritates me when it's built and sits empty for months or years). I consider it over-development...I'd love to see some nice open green spaces remain intact.

Last edited by pewtertm; 09-19-2007 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: accidentally left out a sentence...oops!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
I think there is some truth to the perception that Tulsa is somewhat snobbish. And not just in OkC, but all over Oklahoma, to be honest. People in Oklahoma in general seem to identify more with OkC than Tulsa, probably for several reasons. It was where the state began, at least in that area, and it's centrally located.

I remember when I moved from my home in East Central Oklahoma to Tulsa, many of my family members and friends said, "Why would you want to go there?" I said "Why not?" They couldn't answer me but the impression I got was that they almost considered Tulsa like it was out of state, and not to be affiliated with Oklahoma. It was the "second city" of Oklahoma.

Growing up, the ONLY place to go and do things was "The City," meaning Oklahoma City. Although Oklahoma City was 86 miles from my home, and Tulsa was 90 miles from my home nobody ever considered going to Tulsa. They just didn't identify with the city for some reason. To this day, many people that I know from back home have NEVER been to Tulsa, don't care for it, and probably never will. When I show them pictures of the place, they're like "wow, that's pretty," but that's the extent of it.

It's a subject I'd like to look into further, this different perception of the two cities. But, all in all, I do believe that the perception you talked about is very real.

As far as the Houston and Dallas thing goes. Man, these two cities are constantly going at each other. I prefer Dallas and think it's a much nicer city than Houston, but that's just me, probably because I live here.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 AM

Tulsa-in my opinion has been snobbish....obviously. But I really believe that Tulsa has more recognition around the U.S. because of its beauty and its rich history as being the oil capitol of the world.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
That seems to be changing over the last ten years though. OkC has much more progressive leadership and look what it's done for them. OkC is kind of doing what Tulsa did a long, long time ago (in the 20s and 30s), it's booming and building itself into a national player. While Tulsa is doing some things right, they are lagging at least a decade or two behind OkC in getting things done. As much as I love Tulsa, her beauty, and her history, they seem to do so many things somewhat backward. I think that will change, in a big part because they are getting it shoved in their faces by the prosperity they see in OkC. Make no bones about it, if OkC hadn't been successful with MAPS and the other programs, Tulsa wouldn't even be trying to improve too much of anything at all, in my opinion. One of the things they need to do there is fix the darned roads!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That seems to be changing over the last ten years though. OkC has much more progressive leadership and look what it's done for them. OkC is kind of doing what Tulsa did a long, long time ago (in the 20s and 30s), it's booming and building itself into a national player. While Tulsa is doing some things right, they are lagging at least a decade or two behind OkC in getting things done. As much as I love Tulsa, her beauty, and her history, they seem to do so many things somewhat backward. I think that will change, in a big part because they are getting it shoved in their faces by the prosperity they see in OkC. Make no bones about it, if OkC hadn't been successful with MAPS and the other programs, Tulsa wouldn't even be trying to improve too much of anything at all, in my opinion. One of the things they need to do there is fix the darned roads!
Ya...My friends mention that sometimes. But it would change the environment! I get sick of seeing larger streets/more concrete...Its nice that Tulsa has kept its smaller streets. It adds to its character and small town feel in a truly larger impressive environment than people understand...Tulsa is behind but it will certainly rebound quickly...It needs to move the ballpark downtown to generate enthusiasm for the urban areas. But you know my hardcore stance on urbanization for Tulsa and OKCs urban areas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City