Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times

Advertisements

Twelve years ago, Craig Travis opened his gift shop Craig's Emporium, now at 3004 Paseo Drive, and to this day, he remembers being the only business in the area with an open door.

"Most of the artists kept their doors locked,” he said.

While his business didn't necessarily suffer from it — Travis said he's always had a wide customer base — Oklahoma City's historic arts district was a virtual ghost town, he said.

Most artists were using the old storefronts as work spaces, and few kept regular hours, making it difficult for retailers to get much traffic.

"It just wasn't conducive to people doing what Paseo means, which is to take a stroll,” Travis said.

Today, things are different. In just over a year, the Paseo has welcomed a handful of new restaurants and retail businesses ranging from a yoga studio and hair salon to a fine dining restaurant and a full-service coffee shop that also serves pizzas and handcrafted ales. At the same time, a growing number of artists have chosen to maintain regular hours to help stimulate street traffic, making it clear that the Paseo is no longer reserved for just artists and art collectors.

With new businesses that cater to everyone from the college-age crowd to Oklahoma City's upper-crust, Paseo tenants say the area has once again been restored to the intentions of its founder G.A. Nichols, who built the arts district in 1929 as Oklahoma City's first shopping district north of downtown.

"It's more of an upscale crowd now,” said Tom Lee, president of the Paseo Art Association and photographer at Old Trinity Gallery, 3000 N Lee Ave. "Artists are innovators in that they usually discover the interesting places and are the first to move in. Whether it's Soho in New York or Santa Fe or the Paseo in Oklahoma City, artists tend to find the neat places. They're the first ones to move in, and then everybody else kind of catches up. Now, we're to the stage where everybody's catching up.”

Kathy Jacobsen, owner of the ladies' boutique Kathy's on Paseo, 2909 Paseo Drive, moved into her shop in 2000 and noticed the same dead business environment as Travis, who also is her son. But in her eight years there, Jacobsen said the area has come a long way, and the result has been beneficial for both retailer and artist.

"I was busy all along, but there weren't that many retail businesses when I came down here,” she said. "(My son) Craig was here, but people would just drive up and shop and leave. Now they'll walk around, and more of the artists are staying open, not all of them like they should, but there's more of them that are.”

Sue Moss Sullivan, a fiber and mixed media artist, is one of four artists who since 1994 have lived in Studio Six, 3021 Paseo Drive, and kept regular hours, which has contributed to the area's communal aspect and benefited the retailers at the same time.

"It's what we choose to do as our business and our studio and how we choose to work,” she said.

Sullivan said there always have been businesses in the Paseo besides the artists, but the past few years have marked a period of growth that has also affected the old neighborhoods that surround the Spanish-inspired adobe villa.

"The number of young people buying houses and redoing them in this area has changed,” she said.

"It's really become a neighborhood again, I think, so that's huge for us.”

Lee said back in the 1980s the Paseo had a high vacancy rate because of the oil bust, which caused many people to go bankrupt, but now occupancy is close to 100 percent.

Today, the Paseo has about 60 artists in 17 galleries or studios and about a dozen businesses at any given time.

Lee added that most of the people who are buying homes in the Paseo neighborhood are young professionals and single mothers.

"I think that's very interesting,” he said. "You wouldn't necessarily think that, but we have a lot of nice bungalow-style homes around 1,000- to 1,500-square-foot range that have a lot of character that you just can't get in new construction. People are attracted to being centrally located and living in a neighborhood that has some charm, not just a nameless subdivision.”

Lesley Rawlinson, one of the owners of the Paseo Grill, 2909 Paseo Drive, which opened just over a year ago, said the area's restaurants also have contributed to its changing demographics because they each attract different customers.

"There's really a mix of neighborhoods around here from upper to lower end, and I think we really filled a niche a little bit on the upper end for Crown Heights, Heritage Hills, those kind of neighborhoods where we get a lot of regular clients,” she said.

Rawlinson added that the addition of Sauced, 2912 Paseo Drive, a coffee shop, pizza cafe and late-night bar that opened earlier this year, has attracted a younger crowd — a group that previously found the area popular. "It's just kind of this rebirth, and people are rediscovering it,” she said.

"I think for that (50- to 60-year-old) age group, it's been a pleasant surprise to come back to this area again. I definitely think the businesses coming in here have helped that.”

Merchants and artists also credit the area's growth to the Paseo Art Association's involvement, which has added events like the First Friday and Saturday Gallery Walks to showcase studio owners' work and manage the annual Paseo Arts Festival. The festival, one of the state's largest, attracts close to 40,000 people over Memorial Day weekend. Next year will be the festival's 32nd year.

But no matter how many businesses open, Lee and other Paseo tenants said the area is first and foremost an arts district, and that will never change.

"I think the landlords realize the artists are the draw for the Paseo,” Lee said. "You don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.”

The Paseo Arts District - 23k
Visit Western Avenue - Oklahoma City's Unique Shopping, Dining & Entertainment District! - 36k
Downtown OKC > Home - 27k

Last edited by happytown; 09-05-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Very interesting article.

I used to stroll around the Paseo back in the hippy days. That was fun. I still like to go back there from time to time, and it is great to see the area making a comeback.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Smile Galileo...fried olives...yummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Very interesting article.

I used to stroll around the Paseo back in the hippy days. That was fun. I still like to go back there from time to time, and it is great to see the area making a comeback.
Ya- The district has so many artists and is now becoming the new place to hang out for many people...great places to eat and a many different shops to browse. My fav bar though has kinda become too uppity...My bartender knew my name...gave me a stiff drink...not anymore...still is a great place...live music, poetry night (crazy bohemian style)...a lot to do. The fried olives are to die for! ISIS COCKTAIL LOUNGE & GALILEO :::

Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Ya- The district has so many artists and is now becoming the new place to hang out for many people...great places to eat and a many different shops to browse. My fav bar though has kinda become too uppity...My bartender knew my name...gave me a stiff drink...not anymore...still is a great place...live music, poetry night (crazy bohemian style)...a lot to do. The fried olives are to die for! ISIS COCKTAIL LOUNGE & GALILEO :::
Cool looking place judging from their website, and I'd LOVE to try some fried olives. Must go the next time in OkC!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 AM

I am going to start off with the two blue crab, pan fried with garlic and shallots, served on a bed of fried leeks with a side of sweet Madeira cream sauce.

Then I'll move on to the Norwegian salmon, basted with a maple and serrano glaze, accompanied by plantation slaw.

My hubby will probably go for the meatloaf sandwich, served open faced, topped with mozzarella and a spicy tomato sauce, served with garlic mashed potatoes.

YUM, can't wait to find an excuse to go there!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Cool I didnt know the food was getting that ridiculous....

Quote:
I am going to start off with the two blue crab, pan fried with garlic and shallots, served on a bed of fried leeks with a side of sweet Madeira cream sauce.

Then I'll move on to the Norwegian salmon, basted with a maple and serrano glaze, accompanied by plantation slaw.

My hubby will probably go for the meatloaf sandwich, served open faced, topped with mozzarella and a spicy tomato sauce, served with garlic mashed potatoes.

YUM, can't wait to find an excuse to go there!

Becareful, you will find that the entire district has changed. The east side of the Paseo is about to explode with development. It takes time for certain types of upscale food to be broken in....Crab isnt caught in Oklahoma...Although they can get it fresh at the asian markets close by. Its how ya cook it. I know my steak is better at home than the typical steakhouse! The fried olives have always been consistent. That area including 23rd street and Classen/Paseo is going under a major revival and will most def take more time than other places in OKC. Less money/Much more larger in scale and locals are still waiting for more outside investments. OKCITIANS do envision 23rd and Classen/Paseo becoming the next Western Ave. It will be in due time. Many improvements have been made because of Oklahoma City University and OKC. Someplace Else, Lido, Saigon Baguette have great food.

Check this place out for sure...really cool. Tom Lee - Old Trinity Gallery This guy pieced together a very old church in Canada(or something)and brought it to the Paseo.

Last edited by happytown; 09-07-2007 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM

I love Someplace Else. I usually get the sandwich that involves avacados, and cream cheese I think. I like the pastrami too. They also have good tabouli. I also like the Thai restaurant on 23rd, and the Chinese at 23rd and Western I think. There was a Thai restaurant around the corner on Classen. Is it still there? I like to try new places too. Sometimes it is a disappointment, but sometimes it is great.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM

Talking Crazy...

Quote:
I love Someplace Else. I usually get the sandwich that involves avacados, and cream cheese I think. I like the pastrami too. They also have good tabouli. I also like the Thai restaurant on 23rd, and the Chinese at 23rd and Western I think. There was a Thai restaurant around the corner on Classen. Is it still there? I like to try new places too. Sometimes it is a disappointment, but sometimes it is great.
I get the same darn sandwich myself with bacon...how weird is that! In fact I try to order other sandwiches but I always go back to the avocado! There are many Thai and noodle places to eat around the area so I am not sure what place you are talking about...Check out Pho 2000...Looks like a dump...best Sum Noodle (in my opinion) around. Dont be scared and order the avocado drink and get extra thin sliced rare beef on the side and let it cook on the soup. All the food is extremely fresh. Again all the asian markets help...Cheaper for all the sum noodle eateries so they give you lots to eat.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Great minds think alike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: