Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,289 times

Advertisements

The 360 at Founders Plaza - 6k

YouTube - 360 - Founders Tower

Historic landmark is home to condominiums

By Chris Brawley Morgan
Special Correspondent

When the circular Founders Tower was a place of business, its offices were small, awkward — and shaped like slices of pie.
That is, at least, the assessment of developers and owners Mark Livingston and Jim Meyer, who have transformed the Oklahoma City landmark into The 360 at Founders Plaza.

This fall, it will be a home, a high-rise one with panoramic views. Young professionals, empty nesters and doctors from nearby medical facilities have reserved 50 of the 63 condominiums so far, including the $2 million unit that takes the entire 18th floor, the developers said. "We are bringing it back to life, while maintaining its historic nature,” Meyer said.

Floors 3 through 17 have been divided into four condominiums each. To complement the exterior's 1960s style, the open-plan interiors are modern by today's standards. There are smooth kitchen and bathroom cabinets and sliding pocket doors. Countertops are granite and the floors in the main rooms are hardwood, slate or travertine tile. Carpet is used in the bedrooms. Every room features a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows and each condominium is graced with two or three balconies.

"Who wants a balcony in their office? Everyone wants a balcony in their house,” Livingston said.

In a two-bedroom condominium, balconies flank either side of the main living area. In other condominiums, one of the balconies ends up outside the bathroom. Prices range from $275,000 for a one-bedroom condominium to about $1 million for one of the two penthouses on the 19th floor. The higher the condo, the more expansive the view — whether it be Lake Hefner or the downtown skyline — and the higher the price, Livingston said. The condominiums range from 1,168 square feet for a one-bedroom to 6,800 square feet for an entire floor.

The 360 is the contemporary cornerstone of a 7-acre Founders Plaza project that will include two 40,000-square-foot office buildings and 14 townhouses and should cost about $50 million. Construction on Phase Two should begin next spring, Meyer said. Prices will start at $300,000 for the 2,500-square-foot townhouses, Livingston said. Amenities will include a yet-to-be-built exterior swimming pool and a spa, which will feature a pool already in the basement of The 360. Both will be used by the entire development.

Because of a proliferation of hotels in the area, plans for a hotel have been nixed for the time, Meyer said. The new office buildings and townhouses will be designed to echo The 360's modern sensibilities. The 20-story building was built in 1962; United Founders Insurance moved in the next year. It was a time when children and adults alike were fascinated by space travel, Meyer said. "Believe it or not, the Jetsons were the biggest show at the time. The president was talking about going to the moon,” Meyer said.

At the time of construction, the tower's design was considered futuristic. While the 20-story building appears circular, it is actually decagon shaped, with 10 angles and sides, Meyer said. When the Seattle Space Needle was built with a revolving restaurant in the early 1960s, a similar restaurant was quickly added at the top of the United Founders Tower, making Oklahoma City the second city in the nation to boast such an attraction. Many more would follow, Meyer said.

There were other aspects of the building that appealed to the developers. "We felt it was worthwhile, not only because of its architecture, but because of the part it played in the growth of Oklahoma City and the northwest corridor,” Livingston said.

The 360 is located at 5900 Mosteller Drive, northwest of May Avenue and Northwest Expressway. "When Founders Tower was built, it was in the middle of nowhere. It was all dairy and farm land,” Livingston said. Baptist Hospital and a myriad of other office and retail operations soon followed.

About 15 years ago, out-of-state investors began buying and selling Founders Tower, Meyer said. "Basically, they let the buildings go down and down. They put as little into it as possible,” Meyer said. Livingston agreed: "It was neglected.”
When they purchased it two years ago, "it had a 38 percent occupancy. All the infrastructure had been shot,” Meyer said. When the improvements are complete, the developers will have spent more than $2 million to remove 45-year-old glass that would shatter into shards. They have replaced it with tempered, energy-efficient panes. The exterior of the concrete-and-steel frame was solid and has been left as it was in the early 1960s. In all, the developers will spend more than $15 million on the renovations, including the installation of new cooling and heating systems, plumbing and electrical systems.

Meyer said, "Just by replacing the glass, it looks brand new and it looks cool. By replacing everything else, it makes it a great place to live.”

The new glass makes it look great....I have always loved it and it is now finally being used as it should...Condos w/Balconies. Indnt dat nice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM

I have to admit that I am really impressed with what these owners did and are currently doing....I remember the structure as a child and it really gave me a contemporary view on art. I remember the revolving Eagles Nest and having brunch after church. What an icon for OKC...I am really happy that it is being sought after by professionals that enjoy upscale urban living.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,616,597 times
I have been there on business. The view is really great. I saw the lake view, but the downtown view must be fantastic as well. If you have seen the downtown view from Baptist Hospital at night, I think the Founders view would be even better.

My son had his wedding reception in the revolving restaurant. That was really cool.

The architecture is really interesting. This is what I would call '50s style, but in the article it is called '60s style. Since it was built in 1962, I guess it would have to be '60s style. There are quite a few buildings, I will call them space-age, of this era around town. I need to go out and take some pics of them.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Lots of changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I have been there on business. The view is really great. I saw the lake view, but the downtown view must be fantastic as well. If you have seen the downtown view from Baptist Hospital at night, I think the Founders view would be even better.

My son had his wedding reception in the revolving restaurant. That was really cool.

The architecture is really interesting. This is what I would call '50s style, but in the article it is called '60s style. Since it was built in 1962, I guess it would have to be '60s style. There are quite a few buildings, I will call them space-age, of this era around town. I need to go out and take some pics of them.
Ya- The building is really striking now. The new glass was needed for better insulation but it also changed the appearance. I am excited that they are going to make other buildings near it have the same space age look. Meet the Jetsons!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,616,597 times

Well, that didn't work out like I wanted. My question is, when do we get our flying cars?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM

Talking Jetsons....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post

Well, that didn't work out like I wanted. My question is, when do we get our flying cars?

I dont know Peggy...hopefully they wont operate on gasoline!

The guy for the 360 website looks sooo cheesy...Long hair and all...LOL

Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
That's a really cool building, it reminds me of the one in Tulsa somewhat (except Founders is cleaner looking). I'm glad to see that they are refurbishing it. So when are you moving in HT?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Smile Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That's a really cool building, it reminds me of the one in Tulsa somewhat (except the one in OkC is cleaner looking). I'm glad to see that they are refurbishing it. I'll have to take a look-see next time I'm in OkC!
Ya- The space needle condos/apartments building has always intrigued me when I visit Tulsa.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
OkC is on a mission or something. They are constantly making everything bigger and better. It's quickly becoming the place to be. If they get light rail or something, that would triple everything they've already done. I hope that is in the plans.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:59 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I remember the revolving Eagles Nest and having brunch after church. .

OK, I need to hear from someone older than Happytown. The Eagles Nest moved in there after ValGene's closed the Red Eagle Room at Penn Square. There was a restaurant there before the Eagles Nest. What was it? This isn't a quiz...I just can't remember!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City