Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

My mom is relocating from West Virginia to OKC for work. She will be working at Chesapeake Energy. I am in San Francisco, Ca and am trying to find the a safe, but convenient and fun area for my mom to live. Having never been there I am only able to educate myself by such means as this forum. Can anyone provide any recommendations on any particular areas or communities that would be recommended for someone looking to rent? Additionally is there any areas anyone would recommend avoiding?

Prefer a walkable area in close proximity to restaurants, supermarkets, cafes etc.. This is not the most important, but definitely a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Surprised nobody answered this....

I'll say that OKC is a bit of a patchwork; there are really no areas of town you should completely avoid. So it may be a little difficult to answer that question without a specific location.

If she is working at Chesapeake and wants a walkable area, I would definitely suggest Crown Heights or the Western Avenue Corridor between 36th and 50th. There are a lot of shops and restaurants in this area that are easily accessible by foot. Plus the CHK offices are on 63rd and Western so the commute will be super simple. The only concern I would have is real estate is very tight in that area, especially if she wants to rent. You got to be quick on the draw if you want property, I've personally learned this the hard way.

Another area is the central part of the city (midtown/downtown/Deep Deuce). I actually live in midtown and love it. It is very walkable to many restaurants and close to downtown action. This may or may not work for your mom as it is a bit of a "younger" area, grocery and other shopping options are still a bit limited (but getting better), and its not as close to CHK (but still maybe 15 minutes away).

Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
There are many great historic neighborhoods throughout the city, but there just as many where you better be traveling in a group or avoiding altogether. The plaza district may be hep, but the surrounding neighborhoods are characterized by home invasions, etc. the entire SW quadrant is potentially dangerous and you better be able to habla. Anything east of 235 from downtown to 122 is gangsterfide. There may be a few safe spots, but lots of gang activity. Also Britton Road from May Ave east to 235 north to Memorial is ALSO gangsterfide. OKCs best neighborhoods aren't affordable for most folks. Edmond, far NW Okc, Mustang, Moore, Norman Yukon are typical suburbs. Midwest City and Del City much more urban than suburban. I enjoy partying on Western Ave, Midtown, and Brickton. They are listed from safest to less safe, but still safe. South side is pretty tough. Helps if your from there, like I am. I live in Edmond for a reason. Several actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City