Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,527 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking about coming to Oklahoma City, OK for my work; shooting videos.

I'd be there for 6 months to a year if I choose this location.

I read there's a Trolley there that's nice to get around the city. Is this accurate?

Are the Regency towers on a good route to live without a car?

Look forward to this response. OKC is a new discovery I feel has high potential.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking about coming to Oklahoma City, OK for my work; shooting videos.

I'd be there for 6 months to a year if I choose this location.

I read there's a Trolley there that's nice to get around the city. Is this accurate?

Are the Regency towers on a good route to live without a car?

Look forward to this response. OKC is a new discovery I feel has high potential.

Thanks.
Link to Okc Metro: Trolley Schedules & Maps | METRO Transit Providing Central Oklahoma Transportation & Bus Service Options

I am pretty sure I couldn't live in Oklahoma City without a car.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
OKC was built for the automobile and as a whole is not a walkable city. The trolley just runs around the central part of downtown and over to Bricktown. It has a very limited schedule. Mass transit is limited in the city in general and while there is bus service, it is limited and from what I've heard not very reliable. A street car system is currently in the works, but construction has not even begun yet. While downtown is undergoing a renaissance, and people are moving back into the area, at this time there is no grocery store in downtown/Bricktown. I believe the nearest grocery store is about 1.5 - 2 miles away, so it would be a long walk.

Really in order to experience the entire city, and even just to live here comfortably you will need a car.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
I would hate to spend even a month in OKC without a car. It is truly a necessity.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 AM

wow. maybe i should look into a business lease lol

Old 04-07-2012, 02:59 PM

242 posts, read 764,890 times
Glad you will be checking out OKC, lots of cool stuff for creative professionals going on right now.

The car thing really depends on your lifestyle/where you will be working. If almost all of your work and play would be downtown, you would probably be fine with a good bike and occasional bus ride. All services except grocery store are available downtown- all kinds of food, bars and clubs of all atmospheres, movies, shows, dry cleaning, etc etc. There are also a lot of shops opening in downtown and the hipster-filled Plaza District which is a 10 minute bike ride away. If you have a bike with storage space, there is a grocery at 18th and Classen (about 10 minutes of pretty flat biking).

At Regency Tower you will be literally across the street from the transit center where all routes converge, so you are probably at the single best place to take advantage of OKC's (pretty bad but manageable) bus system. A bus pass is $50/month. The 4 route goes to Belle Isle shopping center (incl. Walmart) every 60 minutes. The 8 route goes to Penn Square Mall every 30-60 minutes. The 5 route goes to Homeland, Asian District (incl. Cao Nguyen grocery), Chesapeake campus (incl. Whole Foods) and Quail Springs Mall every 30-45 minutes. Only bad thing is that you would have to be home by 7:30 or so when the last buses return to the transit center downtown.

As others have said, OKC is an extremely convenient car city, and not-so-convenient transit city. However, if you are a biker, the grid network we have in the central city means there are a ton of flat residential streets that are perfect for biking, and you will be in a good location to use the bus as long as you don't foresee a lot of work trips/business meetings in random parts of town.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM

i'd be there doing some videography work . lounging around rest of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City