Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 36,517 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, everyone! My husband has been transferred to Oklahoma - we currently live in upstate NY, where I was born and raised, but we are looking forward to this new adventure. We have two children, 11 and 8. Mo husband will be working about 40 miles east of OKC ( in Shawnee), and we're looking for an area that in convenient to both Shawnee and OKC with excellent schools. Norman and Edmond have been mentioned most frequently, but Edmond is 50 miles from where DH will be working. Looking at housing online, it seems that we'll get a lot of house for the money, and taxes are MUCH less than here, so we're pretty excited. Any information regarding the schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Upstate NY is one of the most beautiful areas of the entire country, bar none. I've been there and it is spectacular. As far as the housing and such... HAPPYTOWN! HAPPYTOWN! Where are you??? Happytown is on of the more knowledgeable people of the area. Might I suggest Shawnee itself? Since you'll be living there, it would be convenient to live where you work. With OkC being only 50 miles away it would be nothing to drive there on the weekends or even in the evening for entertainment. I'm a firm believer in living near where you work. Check out GreatSchools.net. They have a lot of good info on schools; just about everything you'll need. Oh, good luck and welcome to Oklahoma!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Upstate NY is one of the most beautiful areas of the entire country, bar none. I've been there and it is spectacular. As far as the housing and such... HAPPYTOWN! HAPPYTOWN! Where are you??? Happytown is on of the more knowledgeable people of the area. Might I suggest Shawnee itself? Since you'll be living there, it would be convenient to live where you work. With OkC being only 50 miles away it would be nothing to drive there on the weekends or even in the evening for entertainment. I'm a firm believer in living near where you work. Check out GreatSchools.net. They have a lot of good info on schools; just about everything you'll need. Oh, good luck and welcome to Oklahoma!
Public and Private Schools in Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA - 15k -
City of Shawnee Oklahoma - 41k
Oklahoma Baptist University - 18k

I agree Synopsis....I would find a place that is closer to work. 40 min east is a long drive. Living in Shawnee would not be my PERSONAL choice for quality of life...But I like a more urban atmosphere. It all depends on the person. I am sure Shawnee has something great to offer....If OKC is where you want to live I can try to give more info about schools or something in OKC.....OBU is a good U that is located in Shawnee. Welcome to Oklahoma

Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I would agree that Shawnee is the place to look first. The commute would be too long from other areas and he would be driving into the sun. It has an active downtown area, a historic railroad depot, a decent mall, quite a few restaurants, and some nice residential areas that are older plus some new construction is available too. I am not familiar with Shawnee schools, but there are many excellent schools in OK. You just hear most about the 6A size schools. Maybe someone else knows about Shawnee area schools?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Peggy you crack me up...."Driving into the sun"...No doubt...How painful for such a long time in the morning. Constant peeking under the visor. Loss of vision....OUCH.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 36,517 times
We're in suburban Rochester, near where the Genesee River flows into Lake Ontario. You're right, it IS beautiful here. But I've heard that OKC is great too (even though you're water-deficient compared to here LOL!!) I can get to my job downtown in 15 minutes. While my husband will be working in Shawnee, I'll probably need to look closer to the city to find something decent. I like the suburban conveniences, but I'm not a "keep up with the Joneses" type. Hope this helps...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
I never get over in that area, but I'm sure anywhere in southeastern Oklahoma county would suit you fine. Any area on the east side of Midwest City, Choctaw and Harrah all sound nice. They'd all be within a half hour commute of Shawnee.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:47 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
My daughter went to Harrah School for grades 6-10, and I thought it was an excellent school.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM

21 posts, read 65,279 times
I would also suggest Shawnee. I've lived in Edmond/Deer Creek all my life, and that is what I'd say is the absolute best place to live, and best schools, but I've also heard great things about Shawnee! Absolutely do not live in Midwest City or Del City, it's really not that great. Southeast OKC is not the safest either. Goodluck!! : )

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

35 posts, read 156,199 times
There's several other "little" towns between Shawnee and OKC. Have you thought about Moore, Choctaw, Harrah, McCloud? What's nice about that area, there's some highways and I-40 that's close by, so it'd be too far of a drive to get into the city.
Like previously posted, check out www.greastschools.net. It's a good website to compare schools and see the stats.
Good luck with the move! I hope your husband likes his new job!
Welcome to OKLAHOMA!!!

Shari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City