Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 AM

17 posts, read 108,515 times

Advertisements

The question says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderAreLost16 View Post
The question says it all.
How would it be any better or worse than most places in the US
Choosing the best school districts whenever possible and parental involvement are the keys

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Depends on what type of family you are going to raise, If you are raising a conservative, church goin', god fearin', meat eatin', SUV drivin' family......................... OKC has few peers.

If you are raising a tree huggin', green lovin', vegetable eatin', public transportation ridin' family..............you could do lots, lots better elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
As long as you realize that within 15 years it will be completely overrun by illegal aliens you're good to go. All you have to do is drive around the area of SW 29th between May Ave and Western and you'll understand.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Oklahoma is low on the good list and high on bad list. Normally when you hear some news story about where we stack with rest of the nation we are going to be with Arkansas, Mississippi and West Virginia. If its important for your kids to think that science is all a bunch of nonsense and all the answers are in the bible then you will be at home here.

Don't get me wrong I love Oklahoma but it seems we are drifting in a strange direction.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Oklahoma is low on the good list and high on bad list. Normally when you hear some news story about where we stack with rest of the nation we are going to be with Arkansas, Mississippi and West Virginia. If its important for your kids to think that science is all a bunch of nonsense and all the answers are in the bible then you will be at home here.

Don't get me wrong I love Oklahoma but it seems we are drifting in a strange direction.
Unfortunately, the movie Idiocracy applies to many parts of the US these days.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
I hear a lot of people say "Oklahoma is a wonderful place to raise children" Then I ask them why is that? They start talking about our "Traditional Family Values" usually followed by a gleam in their eye and a smile like they are high or something. They seem to get upset when I bring up we spend among the least of any state on education. We have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates, one of the highest divorce rate, among the highest in female incarceration and our meth and drug problem and the list goes on and on. But they aways come back with the same answer...."Its because God has been kicked out of our schools!" They always have the romanic notion that we should turn the calendar back the the 1950s.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
^^^
Sadly this is happening in a lot of places, not just here.

At least OK schools can still teach evolution in schools, unlike TN.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM

24 posts, read 43,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I hear a lot of people say "Oklahoma is a wonderful place to raise children" Then I ask them why is that? They start talking about our "Traditional Family Values" usually followed by a gleam in their eye and a smile like they are high or something. They seem to get upset when I bring up we spend among the least of any state on education. We have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates, one of the highest divorce rate, among the highest in female incarceration and our meth and drug problem and the list goes on and on. But they aways come back with the same answer...."Its because God has been kicked out of our schools!" They always have the romanic notion that we should turn the calendar back the the 1950s.
Like it's better in other states because they still have God's hand in their schools. lol

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Depends on what type of family you are going to raise, If you are raising a conservative, church goin', god fearin', meat eatin', SUV drivin' family......................... OKC has few peers.

If you are raising a tree huggin', green lovin', vegetable eatin', public transportation ridin' family..............you could do lots, lots better elsewhere.
Both type or groups in OK , the first group 65% , second group 35%..
if you can do your thing around conservatist type of people "you can
make it in OK...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: