Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,637 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was talking about the Hornets. And that's all for another discussion wether we get the Hornets, Sonics or whoever. But I believe we will very soon.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,679 times
Default Crime

Hello I am moving to OKC in just a bit but I was wondering now that I have been talking to people about moving down there I am being told there is outragous amounts of crime there. I am hoping this is not true. The house we found is in spencer can anyone tell me about this area and the crime? Thank you so much.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Default Re Spencer Oklahoma

Spencer is a poorer, more rural area in the NE area of the metro area. As in any poor area, you will have more crime but I have driven through Spencer at all hours and never felt unsafe. Plus the school system there is not good. In the same NE area, Jones and Harrah have better schools.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 13,679 times
any areas I should stay away from in OKC?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Oklahoma City is a medium sized market. I used to live there and thought it was lame compared to other cities like Dallas or Houston. Now I live outside of the godforsaken town of Fort Smith, Arkansas (population about 80,000) and now I see OKC in an entirely different light. A city is a place with a very wide array of shopping choices ranging from wal-mart to high fashion shopping, good restaurants and cuisines of every kind, nightlife/clubs/bars, family recreation, modern conveniences, and traffic, all which OKC has.

Question for those who don't consider it a city. What does OKC not have, besides pro sports, that a real city would have?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
OKC does have "The Yard Dogs" - arena football - but that's probably not pro enough, eh? What OKC doesn't have that bigger cities do is ... more of what they do have. Urban sprawl now reaches past Norman. OKC actually has two downtowns - just like Houston. If Salt Lake is a city then I suppose OKC is a real city as well.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 203,332 times
I'd consider OKC a proper city by two benchmarks: First, despite the fact that it's only slightly over 1M people (a common criteria for "city"), it has hundreds of times more people than you could ever get to know by name. You could go your whole life there meeting 15 new friends a day, and still not know half the city by the time you die. On that note, I would consider OKC to be a midsize city. Of course, I have a different scale than most people use. I rank them Village < Town < City < Metropolis, with metropolises often being called cities due to the less bulky nature of the word.

The second metric I use is the fact that despite never having been there, I can see on my map a number of facilities that could be used to qualify OKC as a major city, including Ph.D.-level universities, full-scale hospitals, major retail establishments, several industrial sectors (as opposed to being a simple "company town"), a financial district, airports of every size, a rail hub, a dedicated mass transit system, and a large number of restaurants and lodging establishments. Simply put, there are very few things that you have to "drive into the city" to get, except for a limited range of items that you might have to drive into DFW to pick up.

I just noticed that the last part more-or-less duplicated bchris02's post above this, but I'll leave it in just to solidify the point of OKC being a midsize city, whereas something the size of say, Wichita might be called a small city, and places with less than 100,000 being considered a large town.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 AM

41 posts, read 214,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsadams03 View Post
any areas I should stay away from in OKC?
It depends on where you are from and what you are looking for. If you are looking for affordability with easy access to cultural centers, I would recommend living in SW OKC, preferably south of I-240, maybe even Moore. I would stay away from NE OKC until you get well away from downtown, plus, NE OKC has no easy access to Interstates, so it's harder to get around. Midwest City is spotty, some places are great, some are not so great. Del City has been going downhill for years, but still has some standout amenities, Mid-Del Christian School being one, and their school district is vastly better than OKC district. Stay away from OKC schools as if your life depended on it, because your kids life truly does depend on it. Even some of the outlying areas have miserable schools, Western Heights is a great example of what happens when Mr. Joe Kitchens falls asleep on the watch. It went from great to awful in about 4 years. South of Tinker on Sooner still has some great additions that are reasonably priced, and are in the Mid-Del district. You need to watch out about school districts, because they don't follow city lines at all. If you have any other questions, my wife is a lifelong resident of OKC, and I graduated from University of Oklahoma in Norman, and lived next to Will Rogers Airport for 5 years, so feel free to ask me questions at nhzero at yahoo.com.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,151 times
A dedicated mass transit system? Financial District? You pulling my leg?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 AM

41 posts, read 214,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
A dedicated mass transit system? Financial District? You pulling my leg?
While I would agree that there isn't that much of a "Financial District", there are a number of companies that are either based in OKC or are historically sited there. Chase Tower is a major landmark in the city, and there are a host of other nationally recognized companies that are based there, like Cox Enterprises of Cox Cable infamy, Love's Travel Stops, Braum's, ex-SBC, and Sonic, not to mention major arms of Dell, Southwest Airlines, and others.

The dedicated mass transit system is a joke only because of the extreme sprawl of the city, which can be attributed to the propensity of OKC's city government to annex everything it can get its hands on. Orlando and Atlanta are definitely cities, yet both of their bus system leave much to be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City