Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM

180 posts, read 668,135 times

Advertisements

Now that we have the Thunder, does anyone think we will land another pro sports team?

My best guess would possibly be an NHL franchise since the Bricktown Ballpark isn't really MLB capable and the NFL would just be a pipe dream unless someone wanted to invest a billion on a downtown stadium (we do have the space for one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
I would say in about 10-15 years OKC will be ready for a second franchise. Right now, the market is just too small but that will change especially if the economy in OKC continues to be robust relative to the national economy.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
Now that we have the Thunder, does anyone think we will land another pro sports team?

My best guess would possibly be an NHL franchise since the Bricktown Ballpark isn't really MLB capable and the NFL would just be a pipe dream unless someone wanted to invest a billion on a downtown stadium (we do have the space for one).
We'll always be college football oriented state, much like Nebraska and/or Alabama. Just too much history, tradition, and winning with the Sooners to be anything otherwise.

However, the Thunder have been such a breath of fresh air to our football madness.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post

Maybe there needs to be a disaster to an out of state stadium to make a pro football team borrow OU or OSU's stadium for their home games. If the stadium fills at every game, Oklahoma could prove it's ready for a pro football team.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 AM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Meh, I'm not in any hurry for OKC to get another pro-franchise nor do I think that its happening anytime soon. I am proud of the Thunder and the wild success the team has experienced has been documented worldwide, but I don't see this as a guarantee that other pro-franchises will be successful. In a lot of ways the Thunder's story is one of good luck more than anything.

Comparable markets like New Orleans and Charlotte have had trouble balancing more than one pro sports team. There's only so many dollars that can go around in a market like ours. Even here, the Thunder have kinda crowded out other sports teams. The AHL Barons have struggled with attendance this year. OU and OSU basketball attendance has stunk ever since the Thunder came to town, although the product has not been that great.

While the Thunder may be on the cusp of a multiyear run, we will have some lean years. That will be the ultimate test of what a good sports market this is. In the mean time, I would rather OKC be a healthy one market town, i.e. Green Bay, Portland, San Antonio, than a 2 market town where both teams have so-so-support.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Given that CHK has been buying huge amounts of tickets this year, I would expect attendance to be down next year, regardless of the team's performance. The new board won't allow Aubrey to have CHK pay out backdoor payments on his mortgaging of his 20% ownership of the team (inflated ticket sales means the team makes more money and Aubrey gets bigger checks that are used to pay his many debt payments).

The NFL isn't interested in having a team in LA and is trying to talk the JAX new owner out of moving there. A second team in Chicago or putting the team in San Antonio makes more sense than one in OKC.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Given that CHK has been buying huge amounts of tickets this year, I would expect attendance to be down next year, regardless of the team's performance. The new board won't allow Aubrey to have CHK pay out backdoor payments on his mortgaging of his 20% ownership of the team (inflated ticket sales means the team makes more money and Aubrey gets bigger checks that are used to pay his many debt payments).
I think you underestimate Thunder fever. We are talking about a team that is in the Finals and could win it all. Barring a collapse in the team or local economy or KD suddenly demanding to be traded, I think attendance will be just fine. Winning teams put butts in seats, independent of what other people are doing with tickets. Thats true everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if CHK stop buying up tickets. Those available will simply go to brokers and hopefully be cheaper. Plus there is a waiting list for season ticket holders.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
None in the way of expansion. It'd have to be another relocation. I think the 4 major leagues have hit their critical mass for now. MLS could use a 10th team in the Western Conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City