Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM

40 posts, read 74,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'am debating a move to either NYC (Brooklyn) or OKC. Weird right? The NYC culinary scene is hard to beat but it's somewhat competitive and since NYC is a sanctuary city, most employers don't check immigration status. This makes competing for a job AND a livable wage difficult. I did work in NYC but the quality of life was marginal at best; with almost 50% of my income going to rent. The restaurant owner I worked for had a drug habit that kept him from committing to the financial obligations he had with the vendors and employees. A lot of unnecessary chaos. Anyways, I have read some good things about the livability and quality of life in OKC. What's the culinary scene is like in OKC? Is it an up-and-coming "foodie" city? Since I don't have a car, is the public transportation reliable? If not, which decent neighborhoods are within a 45-60 minute walk from, lets say, a restaurant in Bricktown? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
This post is way too vague. What exactly do you want to do in the culinary industry? Wait tables? Open a restaurant? Sous-chef? Short orders? What? And quality of life is very subjective. What do you want out of a city? If it's just lower costs, then OKC would be perfect for you, but know that wages are lower here than in New York too.

OKC's culinary scene leaves a lot to be desired, and take that how you will. It could mean an opportunity to open a new and daring restaurant, it could mean the market/local tastes wouldn't support such an establishment, it could mean people overlook the area, etc. Public transit is horrible here, and I wouldn't use it or walking as my sole means of transportation. If you're careful about finding a place near where you work, then of course you can get to work by foot. However, you will likely find life here uncomfortable without a car when it comes to errands, entertainment, etc.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
This post is way too vague. What exactly do you want to do in the culinary industry? Wait tables? Open a restaurant? Sous-chef? Short orders? What? And quality of life is very subjective. What do you want out of a city? If it's just lower costs, then OKC would be perfect for you, but know that wages are lower here than in New York too.

OKC's culinary scene leaves a lot to be desired, and take that how you will. It could mean an opportunity to open a new and daring restaurant, it could mean the market/local tastes wouldn't support such an establishment, it could mean people overlook the area, etc. Public transit is horrible here, and I wouldn't use it or walking as my sole means of transportation. If you're careful about finding a place near where you work, then of course you can get to work by foot. However, you will likely find life here uncomfortable without a car when it comes to errands, entertainment, etc.
I'm a cook. Just a cook: Prep or line.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
I found this, which might be good for getting an idea. But with this kind of pay, your finances would still be pretty tight despite the lower cost of living:

line cook Salary in Oklahoma City, OK | Indeed.com

Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I found this, which might be good for getting an idea. But with this kind of pay, your finances would still be pretty tight despite the lower cost of living:

line cook Salary in Oklahoma City, OK | Indeed.com
Thanks. That really put things in perspective.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 AM

27 posts, read 53,338 times
Livable wage and restaurants don't go well together here, I've been working in restaurants for many years and I don't know any places that pay cooks anything decent.
With our new look downtown there's a few nice places to eat now, so we're getting somewhere with our "culinary scene" but it's still far behind anything in NYC.

Also, It would be a bad idea moving here without some sort of vehicle. OKC is such a spread out city that the public transportation is pretty lousy.

Sorry this wasn't very encouraging

Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 PM

85 posts, read 217,808 times
catfish and beef

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon View Post
Hi everyone. I'am debating a move to either NYC (Brooklyn) or OKC. Weird right? The NYC culinary scene is hard to beat but it's somewhat competitive and since NYC is a sanctuary city, most employers don't check immigration status. This makes competing for a job AND a livable wage difficult. I did work in NYC but the quality of life was marginal at best; with almost 50% of my income going to rent. The restaurant owner I worked for had a drug habit that kept him from committing to the financial obligations he had with the vendors and employees. A lot of unnecessary chaos. Anyways, I have read some good things about the livability and quality of life in OKC. What's the culinary scene is like in OKC? Is it an up-and-coming "foodie" city? Since I don't have a car, is the public transportation reliable? If not, which decent neighborhoods are within a 45-60 minute walk from, lets say, a restaurant in Bricktown? Thanks.
If you move to OKC, do it for the change of pace/lifestyle/culture. As far as culinary prospects, OKC is very minor league compared to the East Coast. If you have capital, there's lots of potential for smaller boutique, concept oriented bistros, but those are best done in the more affluent areas, where there is at least a bit more culinary literacy than the rest of the area. The state is dominated by steak-and-potatoes, corporate cookie-cutter Italian with pre-fab entrees, or faux antique decorated happy-hour joints. Few places greater than three star (if that).

In OKC you will definitely have to have a car, as public transit is almost non-existent. As far as corrupt shenanigans, my wife and I both can tell you from our years in the food business all of that is pretty universal -- you're not going to get away from it. We know many places which operate like a page right out of "restaurant confindential." The author of that book told the gospel truth. In fact, there are "families" from "the old neighborhood" who use restaurants here to "shelter" their "investments."

In terms of lifestyle, if you're wanting a break from fast paced crowded East coast living, you'll find the suburbs of OKC to be slower paced, more open, and refreshing. BUT -- the pay here is lower than either coast because the consumer price index is lower. You won't find any net gain, in that regard.

Hope this helps, and if you do come, welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City