Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:53 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

Took a few pics yesterday in OKC and Edmond.

On the west side of downtown

The rest are speed by. I have always liked the Deep Rock building.

White Water Bay

Halloween is coming.

State Fair Arena

The Golden Dome.

Little Saigon area shops

North on Classen, Memorial Park

The old Patio.

Near Remington Park. Land like this is one reason our population density is so low.

Watch out for these guys in the median on I-35. They will come for you.

Landmark giant cross in Edmond.

Northeast Edmond residence

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Peggy, those are such nice pics. Some of those buildings look so new and so nice. And it's still totally GREEN down there. Guess our 600 miles make quite a difference.

I was especially surprised to see that the traffic wasn't bad there at all. Guess I had always pictured that the traffic in OKC would be scary.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
It is rather green yet, our trees have started changing yet, you still have to be looking to really notice though. Part of the difference is the trees that are still green are not near as deep of a green as a month ago and the yellow's are mixing in day by day. Grass has gone fairly dormant though, so it's close.

We have an extensive interstate system. The city streets are usually worse with the interstates being "bad" only at rush hours.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 AM

It is still green, but as Nameless said, not as green. If the grass has been mowed, it looks a lot less green. We do have some nice newer buildings in downtown, but I like the old ones too.

I took these pics from about 11 am to 3 pm on Monday, when traffic levels are low. But traffic is not really bad in OKC compared to other cities. If you are driving through from out of state you probably wouldn't think it was scary, but switching from one interstate to the other can be kind of tricky at rush hour. I watch out for out of state license plates at certain junctions, because often they will suddenly realize, OMG I'm in the wrong lane.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Oh, I'm sorry Peggy. I'm usually in the wrong lane at the junctions but that's because I know where I'm going and want to get there fast Plus I'm 17, so I have an excuse.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I watch out for 17 year old fast drivers too. Be sure to watch out for grandmas driving too slow.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM

You mean there's a right lane to be in and a wrong lane????

Oh, I'm sure that OKC has a very organized system just like Tulsa has. We thought getting around there would be rough, but the main problems we had were that we were lost a lot. We had been depending on our directions from Mapquest and they sort of let us down. So, we spoke with the gal at the motel and she gave us a map and was kind enough to give us directions to each place we went to see. I'm sure she was getting tired of seeing us every morning and having to point us in the right direction for the day.

We just have problems cause our town only has a population of a bit over 17,000 now. Our largest city isn't quite 150,000 so you can see why we'd get confused easily.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Does the metro area have a larger population?

The problem with the maps online is that often they don't know about changes in the road system. I have been lost in Tulsa a time or two though, usually around Broken Arrow.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Peggy, do you mean in my area? Our town doesn't have a metro area. The nearest towns are twelve miles to the east and twelve miles to the west. We don't have actual metro areas here. Sx Falls and the small cities near it are starting to get very close together, but aren't metro~connected like you're used to. Rapid has towns that are probably getting close enough to actually be considered metro areas. It was kind of funny because at first I thought that Tulsa's population would actually be 300 and some thousand. Imagine how surprised I was to discover that all those little towns that I thought were near it are actually totally attached to it.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 AM

I was talking about Sioux Falls. Well, if Sx Falls continues to grow it will have a metro area someday. It is probably nicer the way it is. OKC and Tulsa have metro areas one because of growth, two because of white flight. To compare city size, most places one should look at both the size of the city and the metro area. OKC and Tulsa are the 30th and 45th largest cities in the US, but the metro areas are 45th and 55th in size. The metro areas are harder to compare because who knows which towns to include in the measurement. But I bet you were surprised when Tulsa turned out to be 3 times bigger than you thought it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City