Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,609 times

Advertisements

The sweet beans at Swadley's are wonderful...It's my favorite BBQ place here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM

96 posts, read 171,870 times
My favorite place used to be Mr. Tee's in Spencer (off NE 23rd almost to Post Rd.). Sadly, they have closed this summer but I hope they reopen! They have the best southern cooking hands down along with the BBQ. Southern greens, fresh fried okra, homemade beans and potato salad, rolls, everything wonderful and from scratch. Ribs and meat falling off the bone. She sells the sauce in the little bear honey jars if you want to buy extra, makes fresh pies and cakes..Hard to find good cooking like that anywhere else! STOP! This thread is making me hungry :P

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM

96 posts, read 171,870 times
UPDATE: Mr. Tee's is open! They are closed on Sunday and Mondays but open the other days...go by and try it if you get a chance. I am also a Leo's fan but I think Mr. Tee's BBQ is better...

Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,225 times
Ray's BBQ in Norman is where it is at. Their ribs are killer.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Ray's BBQ in Norman is where it is at. Their ribs are killer.
Not a fan of Ray's ribs (I usually go to Van's when I'm over that way), but I like his okra and brisket.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Not a fan of Ray's ribs (I usually go to Van's when I'm over that way), but I like his okra and brisket.
I have been to the Van's in Shawnee and Moore. No offense, but the food was just subpar. I don't think they could make it in eastern Oklahoma.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have been to the Van's in Shawnee and Moore. No offense, but the food was just subpar. I don't think they could make it in eastern Oklahoma.
Was at the Shawnee one when my sister in law was at St Greg's. Agreed, average at best. I was living in NW Arkansas at the time and there was a place just across the line from Fort Smith on US 271, Whitmore's, a real hole-in-the-wall that did Memphis-style ribs very well. Closed now.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I could agree with that....for me it's something around a "B" = average. But personally, I'm someone who loves BBQ....pretty much all of it except that over the top vinegary stuff they serve in the Deep South.

There's really not a whole lot of Oklahoma BBQ I don't like. I think Jake's Rib, the original Earl's Rib Palace, OK Station, and Smokin' Joes can compete with anything I've had in eastern OK. My favorite eastern OK (more northeast-central) BBQ is Dink's. Now that there's some good eatin'!

EDIT:
Wildhorse BBQ is also REALLY good. I'd give it an A+.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Quote:
I could agree with that....for me it's something around a "B" = average. But personally, I'm someone who loves BBQ....pretty much all of it except that over the top vinegary stuff they serve in the Deep South.

There's really not a whole lot of Oklahoma BBQ I don't like. I think Jake's Rib, the original Earl's Rib Palace, OK Station, and Smokin' Joes can compete with anything I've had in eastern OK. My favorite eastern OK (more northeast-central) BBQ is Dink's. Now that there's some good eatin'!

EDIT:
Wild horse is really good. I used to go there when it was just a shack with dirt floors and a Coke machine that was stocked with beer. Worst BBQ I ever had in Oklahoma was Holy Smokes in wagoner. They are out of business now.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:

EDIT:
It's funny because the locals in Chickasha turn their nose up at Jake's. Roy's is the preference for many of them because it's not touristy. I liked Jake's a lot although I went to Roy's quite a bit because it was quicker service. Jake's is the best attraction for out of towners.

A couple I'm not sure are still open that I really liked were Tom's on NE 10th in OKC and Punkin's in Paul's Valley. I've heard there were some good BBQ places in Okmulgee but I've not been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City