U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 AM

271 posts, read 1,137,983 times

Advertisements

Is Oklahoma City more cosmopolitin than the Tulsa area? After seeing the
architect Rand Elliots work who is located in Oklahoma City it could be
more progressive than I previously thought.
I love good design, architecture, furniture, culture, and good book stores but I don't want to live back east and especially in NYC. I like taking frequent trips out to New Mexico which is not all that far from Oklahoma City. I could live in San Francisco but it is completely out of budget.

Thanks for any info,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,269,571 times
Thanks for the compliments, designer. Here's a link for other people to see great pictures of Rand Elliott's work:
Elliott + Associates Architects

While Chesapeake Boathouse is a jewel, my favorite is the snow barn at Will Rogers Airport. What would usually be an ugly building is so beautiful. I am certainly no designer but this is something like form & function?

As to whether OKC is cosmopolitan, I think it is happening. My family moved here in 1959, the year alcohol other than beer was allowed. I have seen OKC progress in ways we could not have imagined then, but it has all happened naturally, one piece at a time. Come and visit. You would love living the the near downtown area.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,559,079 times
cos·mo·pol·i·tan [ kòzmə póllit'n ]

Definition:

1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures
the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope
events of national and cosmopolitan importance

4. ecology occurring worldwide: describes plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world

This is only the facts and not fighting words....I am only responding to the OPs question.

By the definition of cosmo...Then obviously yes. OKC is more diverse. It is the capitol of Oklahoma and has a much higher population. Progression/development and population in OKCs downtown is way higher which results in more foot traffic in its downtown area. Most consider a downtown to be the most important part of a city. Tulsas downtown is considered an Art Deco masterpiece and is by far prettier. But that does not make it more cosmo.

Thank you for the compliments on OKCs architect Rand Elliott he happens to be a good freind of my family via Aubrey McClendon. I am an artist and I have always felt honored by his presence.
This is a great example of how he can transform a space by contrasting the old and the new. RED Prime Steak Downtown Oklahoma City Gourmet Restaurant Dining Near Bricktown Fine Wines Steakhouse - 12k

Last edited by happytown; 10-08-2007 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
Is Oklahoma City more cosmopolitin than the Tulsa area? After seeing the
architect Rand Elliots work who is located in Oklahoma City it could be
more progressive than I previously thought.
I love good design, architecture, furniture, culture, and good book stores but I don't want to live back east and especially in NYC. I like taking frequent trips out to New Mexico which is not all that far from Oklahoma City. I could live in San Francisco but it is completely out of budget.

Thanks for any info,
Here is a massive OKC overhaul that Elliott will be involved with....
http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/...%20Meeting.pdf

Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 35,731,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
cos·mo·pol·i·tan [ kòzmə póllit'n ]

Definition:

1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures
the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope
events of national and cosmopolitan importance

4. ecology occurring worldwide: describes plants or animals growing or occurring in many different parts of the world

This is only the facts and not fighting words....I am only responding to the OPs question.

By the definition of cosmo...Then obviously yes. OKC is more diverse. It is the capitol of Oklahoma and has a much higher population. Progression/development and population in OKCs downtown is way higher which results in more foot traffic in its downtown area. Most consider a downtown to be the most important part of a city. Tulsas downtown is considered an Art Deco masterpiece and is by far prettier. But that does not make it more cosmo.

Thank you for the compliments on OKCs architect Rand Elliott he happens to be a good freind of my family via Aubrey McClendon. I am an artist and I have always felt honored by his presence.
This is a great example of how he can transform a space by contrasting the old and the new. RED Prime Steak Downtown Oklahoma City Gourmet Restaurant Dining Near Bricktown Fine Wines Steakhouse - 12k
^ True Dat... Couldn't have put it better myself HT.

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-08-2007 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,269,571 times
OKC and Tulsa both have a lot to offer. OKC is definitely diverse both in people and culture. I have met and talked with people from all over the world who live in and love OKC. You have the freedom to be what you are in OKC: artist, redneck, churchgoer, from the suburbs, gay, oil man, jock, truck driver, hippy, country, urban, White, Black, Indian, Asian, Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan, whatever, just to name a few of our cultures. You can find your spot here. Most people are very surprised when they actually experience OKC.

Hmmm, what culture do I belong to? I think I am in the whatever group.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 AM

I want to thank all of you for your information. I'm pretty impressed on your
knowledge of what's happening in your community including the architecture.
I didn't acutally live in Oklahoma when growing up but about 12 miles from
it in southern Missouri, but my parents owned a place on Grand Lake of the
Cherokees and we spent a lot of time there. I probably know more about
Tulsa then Oklahoma City but it seems to me that Ok city might be growing
faster but I could be wrong. I am surprised to find a architect like Rand Elliot
with his wonderful portfolio practicing in Oklahoma but there must be some
pretty great potential there or he wouldn't be there. Maybe he is following
in the footsteps of Bruce Goff. I'm now retired from working in Architecture
and design so I'm not sure if I could afford a small urban place dowtown in
either city but I have been offered a nice small piece of land about 45 miles
east of Ok city that could be intersting and I would have to make frequent
visits to the city. Also I was wondering if either city has any large bookstores
other than the usual chain stores? I should mention that I'm trying my hand
at oil painting myself happytown. I studied art for about 3 years before going
into design and architecture. I guess I should check out the galleries in both
cities. I now live in NM and it is nice but to far from things and with gas going
up it might be prudent to live closer to a larger city where there is more to do.

Thanks for all the interesting input by all of you.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I want to thank all of you for your information. I'm pretty impressed on your
knowledge of what's happening in your community including the architecture.
I didn't acutally live in Oklahoma when growing up but about 12 miles from
it in southern Missouri, but my parents owned a place on Grand Lake of the
Cherokees and we spent a lot of time there. I probably know more about
Tulsa then Oklahoma City but it seems to me that Ok city might be growing
faster but I could be wrong. I am surprised to find a architect like Rand Elliot
with his wonderful portfolio practicing in Oklahoma but there must be some
pretty great potential there or he wouldn't be there. Maybe he is following
in the footsteps of Bruce Goff. I'm now retired from working in Architecture
and design so I'm not sure if I could afford a small urban place dowtown in
either city but I have been offered a nice small piece of land about 45 miles
east of Ok city that could be intersting and I would have to make frequent
visits to the city. Also I was wondering if either city has any large bookstores
other than the usual chain stores? I should mention that I'm trying my hand
at oil painting myself happytown. I studied art for about 3 years before going
into design and architecture. I guess I should check out the galleries in both
cities. I now live in NM and it is nice but to far from things and with gas going
up it might be prudent to live closer to a larger city where there is more to do.

Thanks for all the interesting input by all of you.
No problem- Rand Elliot was born in Clinton Oklahoma and lives in OKC. Grand lake is stunning and so is Tulsa. OKC is growing much faster because of the maps projects that passed with the public vote in 1993. So there has been tons of construction since that time. Im very confident Tulsa will bounce back big time in about a decade which is fast for a city. The piece of land you are talking about will most likely be very pretty...Lots of small hills and big trees east of OKC and it is probably equal in distance from OKC and Tulsa/best of both worlds!!
Check out Full Circle bookstore in 50 Penn Place (best independent bookstore in the state)...here is the link...lower the volume on your speakers to avoid the cheesy music.lol.
50 Penn Place - 4k

Tulsa has one of the best museums around with the Philbrook and has many galleries.

OKC has many galleries along with IAO and OVAC which are the art institutions of the state and a new okc museum of art. You will love the Paseo arts district. link...

The Paseo Arts District - 24k -JRB and Trinity are the best galleries in Paseo. My opinion. Trinity is an old wooden church from canada built in the 1800s and has great photography. The artist brought the church to the Paseo in pieces and restored it on a small grassy hill.
ABOUT IAO (broken link) - 21k
OVAC - About Us (broken link) - 14k
Welcome to MAINSITE Contemporary Art (http://mainsite-art.com/homepage.html - broken link)
www.1ne3.com/ - 2k

Great independent films can be seen at the OKC museum of art.
Film - Museum Movies! | Oklahoma City Museum of Art (broken link)
Norman is very close by and has one of the best museums in Oklahoma
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art - 10k -
Natural history museum in Norman is great also.
SNOMNH Front Page - Welcome - 8k

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 AM

I'm not sure what the maps projects might be but I guess it has been a
catalyst for growth. Also someone told me that there used to be a train
going from Oklahoma City to Dallas. I think it might have been Amtrak but
I'm not sure. Guess I could look it up on the Amtrak site but just thought
I would ask.

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the maps projects might be but I guess it has been a
catalyst for growth. Also someone told me that there used to be a train
going from Oklahoma City to Dallas. I think it might have been Amtrak but
I'm not sure. Guess I could look it up on the Amtrak site but just thought
I would ask.

Thanks again.
Maps projects that keep on going...I believe people in OKC were sick of the city looking ugly. It will be many more years until I would stamp it as 'pretty'. But it is going at a fast rate because more and more money keeps coming in thru great city leadership and public voting on new exciting projects. It has been said to have created over 2 billion in private investment in dtown.
City of Oklahoma City - 10k -

This is a skyline shot from the river projects that will intensify with time along the river with many other projects coming. OKC is doing a great job of creating beautification projects (it needs it )...All the public money and private investment is starting to snow ball like crazy. I cant even keep up with the changes being made. Just recently Elliott has been working with OG&E creating LED lights under all the bridges that cross the river. The visual is amazing. I will probably post a thread on that when it surfaces in an article or pic of some kind.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/OKC_Skyline_from_OK_river.jpg (broken link)

The Amtrack train also stops in Norman and others small towns before it hits Dallas. They expect it to link up to Wichita and hopefully Tulsa soon. This will probably link all the way up to Chicago one day.
Heartland Flyer - 9k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City