Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsubramanian View Post
Hi, You are right I never thought about or aware about the burdensome requirements to get in to Harding. Can you please help me by explaining what you meant? However I am not particular about Harding, heard good review about it and even heard the best rated school in the state! As eddie glen suggested I am considering Norman to. I got my pre move travel booked and I will be in OKC next week. So going around places is the best thing I guess to identify which one will suite for me.

I will look your suggestions Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Crown Heights, Edgemere Park - My price range is some thing close to $1200 ish $1500 Max. Is that good enough?
Harding is indeed the best school in the state according to US News and World Report; however I think as of now it is just a high school, so it may be a little early to start planning for a three year old. I know people who send their children there and are very happy.

OKCPS can be spotty at best, but the elementary schools that serve the nicer neighborhoods (Heritage Hills and Mesta Park being 2 of them) are usually pretty good.

Because of its charter status and good reputation, Harding can be very difficult to get into. It's a lottery system, and people who live in OKCPS get first dibs. You also are required to get letters of recommendation from other teachers.

For what its worth, both high schools in Norman ranked in the top 10 high schools in the state.

This is an old listing, but here's an example of what you can get for your price range in Mesta Park:

Charming Mesta Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM

242 posts, read 764,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsubramanian View Post

I will look your suggestions Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Crown Heights, Edgemere Park - My price range is some thing close to $1200 ish $1500 Max. Is that good enough?
Welcome to Oklahoma City!

Your price range will be good for most of the nice urban neighborhoods between Classen, Broadway, 13th, and 50th. The best elementary school in the area is Wilson Elementary in Mesta Park. You will find many of the international people around 23rd Street because of Oklahoma City University and the Asian District. There are several excellent Asian groceries near 23rd and Classen.

There are also several Indian and Halal grocery stores in northwest Oklahoma City, around 39th Street, Portland, and MacArthur. India Mart and Bangla Bazaar are the biggest ones. Maybe it would be a good idea to stop in there and visit with the staff/owners about where the Indian population likes to gather.

Norman is also a good option but you will deal with more traffic since you will be driving toward the city with rush hour. If you choose Norman, most of the international population is very close to the University (many don't have cars). Many of the grocers have international sections but they don't have the same level of important ingredients as the ethnic groceries in OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City