Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I have been reading all over the internet about Norman's drinking water problem that contains high amounts of Hexavalent Chromium which they say causes cancer and the last update on that was 2/13. What can someone who has knowledge on this tell me about this problem? I also looked up on Sperling's Best places and looked at the water stats under the health section and it ranked 47 out of 100%. Are they going to do something about that? I have read where other places are actually worse and legally they have 3 years to correct a problem such as this according to the EPA but in some cities, 8 years has gone by and still nothing. This is a concern of mine as I'm sure others as well and would like to know if anyone has any updated info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
I believe you are referring to this.

I'm nor a chemist, but I do know that Chromium-6 is a naturally occurring mineral that's pretty common in South Central OK, so its no surprise that Norman registers higher than most cities. My company tests water wells for the oil and gas industry and this is pretty common down in that part of the state. But if the article I linked to is correct, the measurements in Norman's water are still well below what's considered unsafe.

This sounds like much ado about nothing, but you can always get a home water filter.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 14,589 times
I actually spoke with the water dept. In Norman and spoke with the lady who apparently does the water testing. She said that the Hexavalent Chromium level was at 90 parts per billion which I'm not sure what all that means but it does sound like a concern since she had mentioned that some people were installing filters in their homes but to mak sure that the filters needed to be certified by a third party such as the National Sanitation Foundation. Then you see on Sperlings website that out of 100%being the best, Branson, Mo is at 100 where as Norman 47. What is Branson doing that Norman should be doing?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Sorry I did not respond to this sooner....

I can't really speak on what Branson Missouri does so differently; however, they probably draw their water from a much different water source than Norman does. 90 ppb of chlorium-6 is still less than the EPA standard, but if it is such a concern for you, you can always buy a reverse osmosis system for your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City