Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,907 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I will be moving from Atlanta to OKC next month and working in Norman. Would really appreciate advice about what are good areas to look for housing, balancing the commute, safety, and home values - looking at $450,000 range.

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Why not just buy in Norman? It's a great place.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
The only thing between Norman and OKC worth looking at is Moore. If you can look a bit further west in SW OKC (which is in Moore schools) there are a handful of upscale neighborhoods, with Rivendell being the most high profile. There's also some acreage type neighborhoods on the eastern edge of Moore, if you are looking for a little land.

With that in mind, I tend to agree with Debzkidz. At your price range, why not just stay in Norman? JMO but Moore tends to be a "starter home" type community, with the vast majority of homes below 200K. I believe it would be hard to maintain property values of 400K and up in that environment. Most people who are looking at that range are probably going to Edmond, Deer Creek, Nichols Hills, certain inner OKC areas, and yes, even Norman.

I would strongly suggest looking at Brookhaven or Belmar before writing off Norman.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam747 View Post
Hello everyone,

I will be moving from Atlanta to OKC next month and working in Norman. Would really appreciate advice about what are good areas to look for housing, balancing the commute, safety, and home values - looking at $450,000 range.

Thanks for your help!!
Try to take advantage of the good position you're in. Citi-data says only only 55.3% of the workers of Norman both live and work there. So surely a percentage of Norman residents are probably driving to Oklahoma City to work. Since there has more home building going on there than in most other places in Oklahoma, I would imagine it would be easy to find a suitable home.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
Norman would be the best suburb for people who work in Norman

Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help!!
Norman is the best suburb to buy a house, especially if you're working in Norman!

If you're wanting some sleepier communities around Norman (can't get much sleepier than Norman, except during Sooner football games in the Fall) you might look at Purcell, Newcastle, Noble, Lex, or Blanchard.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Norman is the best suburb to buy a house, especially if you're working in Norman!

If you're wanting some sleepier communities around Norman (can't get much sleepier than Norman, except during Sooner football games in the Fall) you might look at Purcell, Newcastle, Noble, Lex, or Blanchard.
I bet the price of houses is a good deal lower in those little towns than in Norman.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,907 times
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I found that my office is going to be just west of Tinker Airforce Base. Would Norman still be a good choice, or should I consider other areas as well (Edmond, Moore.....any others??)

Thank you so much for your help

Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I found that my office is going to be just west of Tinker Airforce Base. Would Norman still be a good choice, or should I consider other areas as well (Edmond, Moore.....any others??)

Norman would be a good choice still but Moore, Edmond and maybe Choctaw just rose up the charts.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:

Midwest City, Choctaw, and Harrah have some nice suburban-type neighborhoods. Also, if you're looking for some acreage you should be able to find some nice options in either of these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City