Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
The architecture is different here, but it's also different in other places as well. Different styles for different places and people. If the entire country was all the same, it would be so boring.

If you are interested in something a bit different, you might look at a couple of neighborhoods in Edmond that are being built with craftsman style homes. One is Arbor Creek, which is east of I-35 off 2nd street. The other is on Danforth just west of I-35. I believe the name of it is Town Square. They are just now putting in the streets, etc so I don't believe any homes are actually under construction yet. Both are being built by the same builder/developer, Caleb McCaleb. New Home Communities Oklahoma City, Edmond | Canyon Lakes, Kingsbury Ridge, Arbor Creek, Oakdale Valley, Bluffs at Pine Creek
I'll vouch for the McCaleb building family. I have literally known those guys since high school. This is a great suggestion.

As far as Crown Heights and Edgemere, many of the people that live in there traditionally (esp Crown) are Catholics who send their kids to McGuinness High School which is in the area.

As a result, the quality of the neighborhood/community has remained very strong. Furthermore, McGuinness high school has begun attracting non Catholics to the school due to the quality of the school and the athletic programs. It wouldn't be a bad place at all to live as residents at OUHSC. Very convienient to things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM

17 posts, read 29,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Initially, I thought 2 physicians would have no problem at all fitting in and not having to deal with the closed doors above the hoi polli; however, reading all the criticism of the architecture, I change my mind. Those who come to Oklahoma with critical eyes are so tiresome to be around. They want Oklahoma to be the same as where they came from. It isn't. Build your own home. Buy an emply lot and build a lovely frame house and paint it any color you wish, even puce.
I don't see how criticizing some of the McMansions is being "above the hoi polli" when most of the guys buying these McMansions are the very ones trying to be above the hoi polli. Like I said, my wife and I are pretty frugal and live well within our means, hence we're able to build a savings even as med students and would love to live in a neighborhood where we would actually see our neighbors. If you look at Oklahoma City architecture before the 1980s, you'll see tremendous diversity in size, shape and surroundings. We aren't in Maoist China here. Not everyone has to dress the same, eat the same, listen to the same songs and live in the same house inside and out. It's a bit weird for my Oklahoma-grown individualism to be honest.

I'm from Oklahoma with multiple generations of family still in southern Oklahoma. None of the houses on my street looked the same.

Last edited by Gumbo777; 04-02-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo777 View Post
I don't see how criticizing some of the McMansions is being "above the hoi polli" when most of the guys buying these McMansions are the very ones trying to be above the hoi polli. Like I said, my wife and I are pretty frugal and live well within our means, hence we're able to build a savings even as med students and would love to live in a neighborhood where we would actually see our neighbors. If you look at Oklahoma City architecture before the 1980s, you'll see tremendous diversity in size, shape and surroundings. We aren't in Maoist China here. Not everyone has to dress the same, eat the same, listen to the same songs and live in the same house inside and out. It's a bit weird for my Oklahoma-grown individualism to be honest.

I'm from Oklahoma with multiple generations of family still in southern Oklahoma. None of the houses on my street looked the same.
Gumbo777, I know you are an intelligent man who can read and comprehend quite well, so, why you chose to change the meaning of what I posted is surprising. Perhaps a second reading will be enlightening. If not, I will explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City