Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 PM

27 posts, read 73,840 times

Advertisements

I live here because I was forced to by the military. If I had a choice I would be living in GA where most of my family live and where they are from. I was born on a military base and been doing this ever since. I'm just hoping I won't retire here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 16,065 times
We just priced in ground storm shelters and the cost is $2700. Not $25,000.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM

12 posts, read 16,065 times
I am moving to Oklahoma because my daughter and family live here and I want to be closer to them in my senior years.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM

236 posts, read 427,251 times
I live here because this is where my business is I built it and can't leave it.I do hate the summers here usually not this one,just too damn hot most of the time.
I have always been able to find attractive women here and my tastes are pretty specific
but I'm not a introvert.
I think the problem with some people is no matter where you go there you are you bring your problems with you.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesgirl View Post
I am moving to Oklahoma because my daughter and family live here and I want to be closer to them in my senior years.
Good luck on your move and WELCOME!

Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,352 times
Wink Interesting enough to comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I've tried to make the most of it, but it's hard having come from cities with far more availability. It would be akin to OKC people being accustomed to life here, then moving to one of those towns in the panhandle. All the things they appreciate about life here would vanish in an instant. For some reason I just can't adjust to it, which is odd because I'm typically a highly-adaptable person. While I can manage a couple more years here, I can't spend the rest of my life in Oklahoma. Given my age, that would probably be another 50 years or more and it's extraordinarily unlikely this town will blossom into a place I would love in that time. Most of what I want is directly tied to a large population, and assuming OKC's growth rate remains consistent it would take roughly 250 years to hit 5 million people. Something tells me I won't live to see that. To hit that number earlier, OKC would have to shift to growth similar to what Atlanta, Miami and Phoenix experienced... however a lot of that would have to do with what people want and where they want to live, and I don't think that will happen here any time soon because of the negative perception. I know it isn't easy to just pack up and move, which is why I have a long-term plan in place and am not open to anything that could intervene with that.
I find that living in the country of Kentucky was an eye opener. I don't know about OK because I am considering moving their because my aging mother-in-law requested it. I am trying to find out the very best parts of OK- that are relatively close in driving proximity to Tulsa. Still, when I read your post- you sound like how I feel about Kentucky. I am originally from Rhode Island. Problem is when I moved to KY, I thought everything was so pretty. That was because I looked at it with a good attitude. I knew it was automatically visually different and then I got the culture slam. That culture slam increased, so that in 3 years I had become sick of the people,culture and stores. I kept thinking how less cultured this place was verses the urban place I was used to. I complained each time someone proved me correct in that. I complained and complained- until this moment I am researching new horizons. So OK, may be something I am going to have to consider and reading the posts of someone my hometown area of New England makes me think twice. I just don't think being driven to live in an area of millions of people is an answer to any relocation angst. I think being close to amenities is nice but it can't be the entirety of what someone is seeking in terms of making relocation work for you. I think amenities are a factor but, so is peace and quiet when it is needed, job/commute time and the whole is it a good neighborhood thing too.
I have a slight fear of living in a densely populated area- zombies anyone?
Gimme some balance of things I find important and I think it could work.Attitude counts EVERYWHERE you go or, so I have learned.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwats61768 View Post
I find that living in the country of Kentucky was an eye opener. I don't know about OK because I am considering moving their because my aging mother-in-law requested it. I am trying to find out the very best parts of OK- that are relatively close in driving proximity to Tulsa. Still, when I read your post- you sound like how I feel about Kentucky. I am originally from Rhode Island. Problem is when I moved to KY, I thought everything was so pretty. That was because I looked at it with a good attitude. I knew it was automatically visually different and then I got the culture slam. That culture slam increased, so that in 3 years I had become sick of the people,culture and stores. I kept thinking how less cultured this place was verses the urban place I was used to. I complained each time someone proved me correct in that. I complained and complained- until this moment I am researching new horizons. So OK, may be something I am going to have to consider and reading the posts of someone my hometown area of New England makes me think twice. I just don't think being driven to live in an area of millions of people is an answer to any relocation angst. I think being close to amenities is nice but it can't be the entirety of what someone is seeking in terms of making relocation work for you. I think amenities are a factor but, so is peace and quiet when it is needed, job/commute time and the whole is it a good neighborhood thing too.
Gimme some balance of things I find important and I think it could work.Attitude counts EVERYWHERE you go or, so I have learned.
If that's how you feel about Kentucky then you definitely need an extended visit/tour of Oklahoma and the Tulsa area before you make the permanent move.

Kentucky is more similar to the Upper South (with the Midwest mixed in).......Oklahoma is culturally Southern with the Southwest/West mixed in.

Given your concerns/observations of where you're coming from in KY, I strongly suggest that you visit Oklahoma before you get yourself in another "culture slam." Food for thought.

Blessings.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwats61768 View Post
The first bold part is exactly how I feel now. I don't know if you've ever gotten into a cycle that gets worse, and in the future could be really hard to get out of, but that's how I feel here. Career-wise, going home would be suicide. The jobs I want aren't there. Furthermore, I'm going through an intense nostalgia period at the moment. I'm trying to separate the ideals from reality. I can pine and pine all I want to go home, but in the long run another city would be a better bet.

Amenities are a part of what I want in a home, but not all. Other factors include culture, urban potential, professional potential, walkability, represented needs (government), local mindset (global vs. local), infrastructure and more. Short summers, humidity, abundant rain and frequent cloud cover would be a plus, simply because I feel healthier in cooler climates. It's not unusual for me to go without food for days if the heat persists. In any case, I don't believe anywhere in Oklahoma will meet my needs in my lifetime. Pretty much all of those factors I listed rely heavily on a large population, especially domestic and international immigrants, and Oklahoma has limited control on getting those people to move here. People are just going to go where they want to go no matter how much a city promotes itself. The outside perception of Oklahoma isn't flattering, and that doesn't help to bring in people.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Amenities are a part of what I want in a home, but not all. Other factors include culture, urban potential, professional potential, walkability, represented needs (government), local mindset (global vs. local), infrastructure and more. Short summers, humidity, abundant rain and frequent cloud cover would be a plus...
I just spent four years in Portland, Oregon. Definitely fits the bill.

But freakin' everybody seems to be moving there. Really driving up housing prices, especially rent.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I just spent four years in Portland, Oregon. Definitely fits the bill.

But freakin' everybody seems to be moving there. Really driving up housing prices, especially rent.
How did you deal with the cloudy weather most of the time? That's hard enough to do during the winters in Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City