Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times

Advertisements

Three storm chasers killed in Oklahoma

By Jake Carpenter and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN

(CNN) -- A group of men who devoted their lives to hunting powerful storms died in the middle of the chase.

Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras, and Carl Young were killed while following a tornado in El Reno, Oklahoma, relatives told CNN on Sunday. They were among nine people killed in storms that struck Oklahoma on Friday night.

Read more here.

As terrible as this may sound, I have no sympathy for people that chase storms. You can't play with mother nature. Play with fire and you'll eventually get burned.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 06-05-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM

77 posts, read 145,028 times
Atleast they died while doing what they love. It's consoling

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Their truck:

Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
[quote=Rocco Barbosa;29839320]Three storm chasers killed in Oklahoma

By Jake Carpenter and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN

(CNN) -- A group of men who devoted their lives to hunting powerful storms died in the middle of the chase.

Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras, and Carl Young were killed while following a tornado in El Reno, Oklahoma, relatives told CNN on Sunday. They were among nine people killed in storms that struck Oklahoma on Friday night.

Read more here.

As terrible as this may sound, I have no sympathy for people that chase storms. You can't play with mother nature. Play with fire and you'll eventually get burned.

/QUOTE]

Soo Sad. You know what, Barbosa, you are nothing but a heartless POS. I am glad that you doesn't represent what the majority of people on here think.

Thank god that even more storm chasers like the Weather Channels Tornado Hunt team (with Mike Bettes) and Reed Timmers team didn't suffer the same fate.

Storm chasers are out there to help get people more and more advanced warnings and save lives in the process, so f*** all of you storm chaser haters.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-05-2013 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Watch it. You cussing is not allowed

Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
These men were not just storm chasers, they were scientists trying to study tornadoes and lightning.
If you actually stop and read the article you would know that.

We don't really have many tornadoes in California. I was wondering for those of you who live around them, why aren't homes being built partially under ground with say a slope on one side. It seems like it would be so much safer. I've heard even building round homes without corners would be much more safe, also.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I was wondering for those of you who live around them, why aren't homes being built partially under ground with say a slope on one side. It seems like it would be so much safer.
In many parts of the country it's impractical or prohibitively expensive.

In places that are flat, you can't build a walk out basement because there are no hills. In places that have bedrock near the surface it would mean thousands extra to blast through bedrock. And many basements are prone to flooding.

Not all parts of the county are like California.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
In many parts of the country it's impractical or prohibitively expensive.

In places that are flat, you can't build a walk out basement because there are no hills. In places that have bedrock near the surface it would mean thousands extra to blast through bedrock. And many basements are prone to flooding.

Not all parts of the county are like California.
I was born and raised and lived for most of my life in California. People there don't have basements because it makes houses vulnerable in quakes and since slab construction is the common form. A lot of places they'd be swimming holes too, if your close to the ocean.

Where I live now I'm down hill from a small creek. The spillway for runoff is full and running full. The ground is soaked. My house was built in 1930 on a raised foundation due to wet soil. Were I to have a basement, it would be full of water. Just like when I lived at the beach. There were some homes built then with 'conversation pits' below the floor level. This batch was built during a really dry time, and when it ceased to be dry they noticed mold growing in their pits. The company who built them didn't take that into consideration and had to do full repairs. And removed the conversation pits.

I don't see why it should be assumed that just because basements don't work out where you live, that it shouldn't be a problem somewhere else. Soggy basements know no exclusive region or limit. Why should anyone assume so?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,631 times
I only mentioned CA because I saw he was from there. I think you and I agree on the basement issue.

I'm kinda tired of multiple threads and news stories that are all the same: "OMG U GUISE DON'T HAVE BASEMENTS WTF?!?!?!" It's like some people never stopped to consider that basements might be impractical for some parts of the country.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
These men were not just storm chasers, they were scientists trying to study tornadoes and lightning.
If you actually stop and read the article you would know that.

We don't really have many tornadoes in California. I was wondering for those of you who live around them, why aren't homes being built partially under ground with say a slope on one side. It seems like it would be so much safer. I've heard even building round homes without corners would be much more safe, also.
Some 35 years ago I had a geodesic dome greenhouse. I would get in the thing during severe storms. I don't really know if it was safer than my house, but that thing didn't shake or flutter. That was in Kansas where storms are very severe. I never sat out a tornado in it, though.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Oh, to the cowardly person who gave me a reputation point and then promptly left a comment with it calling me an a-hole for calling out the OP for being extremely insensitive to those recently fallen storm chasers, keep your trap closed.

Yeah, the OP is entitled to his opinion, as everyone is. However, in this particular case, I had a right to call him out and the ridiculous "live and let live" philosophy takes a back seat in this instance as well. So I sounded like an a** defending storm chasers and what they do; oh well, get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City