Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon View Post
And you're a shallow sorority reject that had to use connections to get into Arizona State University.....and probably graduated with a D+. You tried to take me to task for what you interpreted as judgement but here you are, using my vocation to judge me. I've always wondered about this but what exactly does a person's income or occupation have to do with her or his character or the ability to think critically? You subscribe to the notion that there is a hierarchy of humanity based on how much money someone makes? Really? Interesting: You're saying that an executive at AIG that makes a seven-figure salary, who had Rod Stewart play at his birthday party and lives at 740 Park Avenue NYC (yet brought his company and the United States to the brink of financial ruin and played a role in the Great Recession) has a better moral compass than a surgical technician, home-health aide or a nurse? That he should be revered and more respected than a person who graduated with a BS in Mathematics and is working at Starbucks or the Apple Store because she or he can't find a job in their field? You make a livable wage, get weekends off, drive a decent car.......you know, average American stuff; yet you never volunteered or gave back. It's all about you ain't it. How are you making this planet better? You're not. I'm a US Navy Veteran (Corpsman) and a volunteer drum instructor so I kind of know about sacrifice. It's funny how boring, easy and predictable you are. People like you ruin good cities like Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Portland, Salt Lake City, any city in Maine and even Phoenix. If you think California has more to offer than Oklahoma, then move back. Your job isn't that important and neither are you. Your misery is affecting everyone around you. You know that, right?
Wow, you sure know a lot about me according to your post. If you don't know the facts, you create them! Your stupid comments explain in detail what you're all about...

Now go flip a burger Nimrod and quit your not-so-creative details on my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
To the two Okies fighting, neither of you are being "pretty nice"

Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 PM

40 posts, read 74,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Wow, you sure know a lot about me according to your post. If you don't know the facts, you create them! Your stupid comments explain in detail what you're all about...

Now go flip a burger Nimrod and quit your not-so-creative details on my life!
Anyone can figure you out. It's easy. Again, you're so smart......attacking someone's vocation; burger or no burger. You're not stupid at all, especially for what......a prostitute/stripper? I say David Sedaris, Tig Notaro or Joseph Stiglitz and you think.......nothing, as suspected. Let's keep doing this. This is funny. You know, Mitch Hedberg funny. I'm sorry; I mean Not-Jay Leno-or Dane Cook-funny.

Last edited by rocketsurgeon; 08-02-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
To the two Okies fighting, neither of you are being "pretty nice"
Jag; Are you an OKC native? What changes have you seen over the years; for better or worse? I'm not an Okie; can a Yankee like me even become an Okie? If so, what's the process?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Nope, didn't bring them...I was raised by Southerners and can drink sweet tea and eat friend okra with the best of them!

I've met some very nice people here...But I've also ran into some very rude people and some hang out on the City Data forum!
Oklahoma and OKC in general aren't your typical "sweet tea and fried okra" locales. OKC is more typically an unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea kind of place, and fried okra is just another vegetable.

Just FYI.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oklahoma and OKC in general aren't your typical "sweet tea and fried okra" locales. OKC is more typically an unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea kind of place, and fried okra is just another vegetable.

Just FYI.
Now, now, Fried Okra made it on the list of Oklahoma's "official" state meal list........

Oklahoma's Official State Meal became one of the State Emblems by virtue of House Concurrent Resolution 1083, approved in 1988 by the Forty-first Legislature. The meal includes an extensive menu reflecting Oklahoma's cultural backgrounds and the state's historical and contemporary agriculture. Meats include barbecued pork, chicken-fried steak, and sausage with biscuits and gravy. Vegetables include fried okra and squash, grits, corn, and blackeyed peas. Breads include cornbread (and biscuits, as above). "Dessert" comprises in strawberries and pecan pie. The types, variety, and sheer quantity of foods in the state meal (which can be divided into breakfast, lunch, and dinner) generally typify traditional southern foodways.

However, I don't think sweet tea is that big a deal. I can't stand the stuff.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:

Just FYI.
I was born and raised in Checotah, and Okra is king down here. We used to have an Okrafest, but it was canceled mostly because of the heat, it was hard to find volunteers who would cook all weekend in the Oklahoma heat. We still eat pan fried Okra with green tomatoes, way better than the deep fried stuff. We also know to pick it when it's very small and tender, about the size of your index finger, if you let it get much bigger it gets tuff. I really miss my grandma's pickled okra.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Just FYI.
Just wanted to compliment you on your choice of a user name. "The owls are not what they seem." I love the episodes with David Duchovny as Agent Dennis/Denise Bryson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Now, now, Fried Okra made it on the list of Oklahoma's "official" state meal list........

Oklahoma's Official State Meal became one of the State Emblems by virtue of House Concurrent Resolution 1083, approved in 1988 by the Forty-first Legislature. The meal includes an extensive menu reflecting Oklahoma's cultural backgrounds and the state's historical and contemporary agriculture. Meats include barbecued pork, chicken-fried steak, and sausage with biscuits and gravy. Vegetables include fried okra and squash, grits, corn, and blackeyed peas. Breads include cornbread (and biscuits, as above). "Dessert" comprises in strawberries and pecan pie. The types, variety, and sheer quantity of foods in the state meal (which can be divided into breakfast, lunch, and dinner) generally typify traditional southern foodways.

However, I don't think sweet tea is that big a deal. I can't stand the stuff.

I can't adopt this diet as my typical daily fare (I'll wind up in the emergency room because of a cardiac episode) but I look forward to trying the local cuisine. I love the foods listed but the cities I've lived in doesn't have anything close to this on their menu. Off topic; but can you suggest a restaurant that offers traditional Oklahoma meals?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon View Post
Anyone can figure you out. It's easy. Again, you're so smart......attacking someone's vocation; burger or no burger. You're not stupid at all, especially for what......a prostitute/stripper? I say David Sedaris, Tig Notaro or Joseph Stiglitz and you think.......nothing, as suspected. Let's keep doing this. This is funny. You know, Mitch Hedberg funny. I'm sorry; I mean Not-Jay Leno-or Dane Cook-funny.
I like the type of comedy of the early days of SNL. Loved the episodes of Belushi and Murray when they did the fast food line cooks. Cheez Burger, Cheez Burger, Cheez Burger, CHIPS! *wink*

Strippers make more in one night that you do a month...

Think before you attempt to elevate your intelligence above others. You only show you're an ignoramus and or extremely disturbed. I vote for both!

Did you like that emoticon?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Just FYI.
Lightly sweetened? YIKES! I love sweet tea, but the sweet tea here is like syrup. I always tell them to do half and half..and it comes out just right for my tastes. Yes, okra is a veggie; a very good one too once it's coated in corn meal and fried to perfection. You can't get okra in restaurants in CA..or sweet tea for that matter. I was delighted to find it on the menus here as I grew up eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City