Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon View Post
Jag; Are you an OKC native? What changes have you seen over the years; for better or worse? I'm not an Okie; can a Yankee like me even become an Okie? If so, what's the process?
I tried a year, I couldn't stand it and left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I tried a year, I couldn't stand it and left.
What could you not stand about it? People too mean? Weather too scary? 3.2 beer? Girls not easy enough? What?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What could you not stand about it? People too mean? Weather too scary? 3.2 beer? Girls not easy enough? What?
I just found the typical Oklahomian lived what I would call a simple life who didn't like change. For every attractive girl there seemed to be a swarm of ten dudes around her. I had some but limited success. Folks would ask what church you go to, I was honest and stood my ground that I'm not religious which turned a lot of people off. The weather stunk overall, the worst is the summers when there steady wind, was a blast furnace which messed with girls hair making them even more unattractive. Everyone in OKC seemed to have a goal of living in the country with a pickup truck, big farm and horses with no ambition of relocating. I'm glad they found happiness as I demand far near endless entertainment which is probably a bad thing. Just not the life I wanted to live, it was hard to connect/relate to them. Been there, done that, I'm sure the state of Oklahoma was just as happy that I left her.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
^
No issue that you decided OK was not for you, but I fail to see how this is all that different from the rest of the SE that you glamorize. Trust me, I have family in MS, TN, and AL and its no different, maybe even a bit worse.

And I can say, this does not fit the description of the people I socialize with at all. But then again, I live pretty deep in town.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM

40 posts, read 74,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
^
No issue that you decided OK was not for you, but I fail to see how this is all that different from the rest of the SE that you glamorize. Trust me, I have family in MS, TN, and AL and its no different, maybe even a bit worse.

And I can say, this does not fit the description of the people I socialize with at all. But then again, I live pretty deep in town.
Which town and how deep? I've read that living outside of where all your freeways run are death-traps. Is that true? How far from downtown (yet close to downtown) can you live until it gets squirrely?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
^

I glamorize the SE on "kindness", I also find them incredibly easy to relate/connect with considering I'm an obvious outsider unlike OK. I encountered some SEers who did dream of moving out the country if the right opportunity presented itself. When I approached girls in OK, most of the time I couldn't get more than 30 seconds out of them but occasionally got successful. In the deep south, I can approach a southern bell with a huge engagement ring and have an entertaining conversation with her for a hour.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
I just found the typical Oklahomian lived what I would call a simple life who didn't like change. For every attractive girl there seemed to be a swarm of ten dudes around her. I had some but limited success. Folks would ask what church you go to, I was honest and stood my ground that I'm not religious which turned a lot of people off. The weather stunk overall, the worst is the summers when there steady wind, was a blast furnace which messed with girls hair making them even more unattractive. Everyone in OKC seemed to have a goal of living in the country with a pickup truck, big farm and horses with no ambition of relocating. I'm glad they found happiness as I demand far near endless entertainment which is probably a bad thing. Just not the life I wanted to live, it was hard to connect/relate to them. Been there, done that, I'm sure the state of Oklahoma was just as happy that I left her.
I agree with Jag. I don't demand 24/7 entertainment, and its a good thing, because this is the wrong place for it. He's right about the women and dating scene here. Its beyond awful. I would leave in a heartbeat if I could, but I have a great job that I can't leave. I love the people I work with, but I don't hang out with them. All are married, and most have kids. Terrible for the single guy. I feel out of place. I want to be married, but no way I'll find a wife here. Also, its been nearly impossible to make friends here. I have 1 good friend in nearly a year here. Thats it. People don't love it here I don't think, but they know nothing else and have zero desire to leave. Why would you stay in a place with weather this extreme, a terrible dating scene (if you're single), and no water or mountains nearby? I don't get it. I hope one day I can telecommute and move.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
I can approach a southern bell with a huge engagement ring and have an entertaining conversation with her for a hour.
Isn't southern bell a phone company?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
^

I've lived in the deep south and Oklahoma both as a young man. I agree with you. I don't get where these guys are coming from. I would agree that large metros like Atlanta would be better than OKC for action and excitement but in general I felt Oklahoma had some advantages over the part of the south that is most similar to Oklahoma.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Isn't southern bell a phone company?
Thanks for that as it brings another point...I've found very few Oklahhomians were sarcastic, but the majority had an extremely dry sense of humor. I cannot relate to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've lived in the deep south and Oklahoma both as a young man. I agree with you. I don't get where these guys are coming from. I would agree that large metros like Atlanta would be better than OKC for action and excitement but in general I felt Oklahoma had some advantages over the part of the south that is most similar to Oklahoma.
Topic isn't on action/excitement, it's on the people. As stated, I found them nice for the first 30 seconds but had difficulty after that. Even people that wanted to talk to me that I really didn't have an interest in I found boring due to not relating. I never had a conversation that I found stimulating in the state and I never met anyone who I thought was remotely funny. No doubt in my mind that if I was in a home that collapsed due to weather, they're help me out. Regardless where I lived, I would help out my neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City