Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,348,566 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about it the other day. I know the owner had an argument with a reporter, and they closed right after that. What I don't remember is why the reporter was wanting to interview him. Does anyone know, and TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 PM

689 posts, read 2,049,312 times
I discovered there's actually a website. Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute

It tells the story you were asking about. And guess what? You missed the reunion...it was today (10 November).

We loved the place. Wasn't the salad bar in a Corvette or some such car?

Thanks for asking the question. I would never have found that website otherwise.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,737,382 times
Molly Murphys....Wow. Waiters with costumes...Right? When I was a kid I hated MM when they would trick me and stick my face or hand into my birthday cake!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:36 PM

702 posts, read 2,505,482 times
The best part is when you made the mistake of asking where the bath room was at!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Thanks cindycat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I discovered there's actually a website. Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute

It tells the story you were asking about. And guess what? You missed the reunion...it was today (10 November).

We loved the place. Wasn't the salad bar in a Corvette or some such car?

Thanks for asking the question. I would never have found that website otherwise.
Yes, the salad bar was in a corvette (I think it was a corvette). They had really good food. If they knew you were going to the restroom, they would all follow you and tell everyone where you were going.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 12,103 times
I was Woody the Boyscout at Molly Murphys for 7 years. I worked my way up from a barback to the head bartenter and bar manager before leaving in 1986. The "salad car" was a 1963 Red Jaguar XKE. We made thousands of customers over the years get up and dance around that car to "Workin at the car wash". It was a blast working there! And yes, if you made the mistake of asking where the bathrooms were we made a big production of taking you to them and announcing to the entire restaurant where you were going. As a "boy scout", I personally made people carry a roll of toilet paper and a small folding camp shovel, while blowing a whistle and letting all the customers know we were "going to the woods". It was a real joy seeing the laughter and fun that we brought to so many people over the years. It was a blast getting to be so silly and crazy every day at work. Very rarely did it ever seem like a job! It was our playground. Some employees still have reunions and keep in touch. It was a job that changed a lot of our lives, so we have many fond memories. I hope you do too!!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 PM

20 posts, read 66,774 times
Never heard of it. Sounds like a happening place.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 PM

633 posts, read 2,534,210 times
I remember going there for our 9th grade graduation dinner. I was so scared to go to the bathroom there so I made sure I went before we got there, lol.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
Ha, I think that is the reason I never went to that place.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 AM

Peggy, I wish you would have gone, at least once. I couldn't believe this - in the food section of Wednesdays' Oklahoman, there is an article about it. The co owner Jeffiee Tayar has written a book about it! Some snippets from the paper: takes readers for a wild ride in detailing how Molly Murphys came to be one of the most talked about local restaurants of its era. At times the details seem almost too bizarre to be real. It provided entertainment as well as controversy.It gained national attention. She talks about "the incident" which caused the restaurant to close. Playboy magazine described Molly Murphys as "a Russian Orthodox church that mated with a ranch house."

I do remember that their food was very good. I still have one of the HUGE tea glasses with Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City