Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,052 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of moving us to Edmund ok. I like the great schools, affordable housing compared to colorado, and like the fact that the weather is similar to co. I am however very concerned about ok being located in tornado alley. Do I need to be afraid or overly concerned to the point that I would not move to ok? How many tornados do you see a year and what do you do when one comes along? Do all the homes have storm cellars? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
What part of Colorado is similar to OKC?

We get lots of tornados, but not that many houses have shelters. Mostly we sit on the porch with a glass of sweet tea and watch them go by......

Just kidding.......tornados are rare and mostly no problem to anyone...except the folks they hit......

Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Eastern Colorado.

All you have to do when there is a threat is just keep the tv on the news all day and they will alert you when something is coming. The chances of you being unaware of a tornado are about the same chances of you winning the lottery.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
We get lots of tornados, but not that many houses have shelters. Mostly we sit on the porch with a glass of sweet tea and watch them go by......
Even though I now have coffee on my monitor, I gave you a rep for that one! (Too funny, and mostly true! )

Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Now to the OP: Here are a couple of articles you can read...

Science News Tornado Alley USA (broken link)

NOAA Severe Weather

NOAA Tornado Map (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/tornadodata/county/tornadomap.php - broken link)

Goodpasture and Nameless are right, the weather forecasters here are amazing and will keep you informed of a storm's movements, minute by minute. Quite literally tracking it as it crosses certain streets in your town.

My only other suggestion would be a weather radio, or scanner that uses batteries. In 3 years I have only managed to see one (tornado) and it was barely an F-0... did a little roof damage to someone's shed a couple miles south of here.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 156,199 times
I don't think you tornadoes should be the reason for not moving here. I've lived here my whole live and have (*knocking on wood*) never encountered a tornadoe. Plus, there are public storm shelters you can go to or have one put in your home. Some, but not many, homes come with storm cellars, including my house.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 AM

689 posts, read 2,057,418 times
Cherisseap, you can search on the word "tornado" in the Oklahoma City forum and the Oklahoma forum. There's been a lot of discussion on the subject.

My personal experience - I lived in Oklahoma my first 60 years and I was 58 before I was ever hit by tornado. I have older friends who've never been in one. On the other hand, the town of Moore, south of OKC, was hit three times in five or six years.

As for knowing what to do, you'll get a lot info in the media, at schools, etc. We know a family who moved from Sacramento in the late 90's and got hit in the '99 storm. Dad was out of town and Mom was shopping. The son was about 8 and had learned in school what he needed to do. He and his younger sister got in the bathtub and covered up with some pillows. Oddly enough, that family later moved to Ogden, Utah, and were there when the first tornado in 100 years hit nearby Salt Lake City. They weren't involved but probably felt a little "snake bit."

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,052 times
Thanks for your responses. It does help.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Just always be weather aware. If you know the weather is suppose to be bad that day, just keep an eye on the weather station or check the web for updates. The ABC channel here has doppler that can be viewed live from the web. That way you can view the direction and intensity of storms. Although many homes do not have basements or storm shelters, there are ways to prepare and safeguard your family and home.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM

28 posts, read 135,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherisseap View Post
My husband is thinking of moving us to Edmund ok. I like the great schools, affordable housing compared to colorado, and like the fact that the weather is similar to co. I am however very concerned about ok being located in tornado alley. Do I need to be afraid or overly concerned to the point that I would not move to ok? How many tornados do you see a year and what do you do when one comes along? Do all the homes have storm cellars? Thanks
A lot of the newer built homes now have "Safe Rooms" a structure inside the home to go to and be safe during bad weather.
The worse season for Tornadoes is the springtime and early Fall with Spring being the worst. (In my opinion) However a Tornado can happen any time of year.

By all means purchase a weather radio that will give an alarm when a twister is in your area.
My husband was a popular Storm Tracker for a Local OK City TV station for years, and I can tell you that Tornadoes are very real threat, some years worse than others......always be alert!
Edmond is a lovely town and I'm sure you will love it.
We have moved away and I am soooo happy to not have to worry about being blown away every spring and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City