Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:00 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armees1315 View Post
Ahh good to know - I definitely wouldn't be expecting party / nightlife like Los Angeles / New York / Miami etc., but wanted to see what might be out there. Hopefully I can make do - and if not - I can always get away for a weekend to get my fix in for that stuff. Hopefully it's not a total ghost town at night though!

That's a bummer that there's not much competition between the bars - hopefully it's not too bad!

As for food - how non-diverse is it? I figure I'll end up having less Euro and asian foods, and moreso tex-mex, mexican, and hearty american food.

I'm not too worried about living next to a bunch of Asians haha. However, would like to know if there's a bit of racism around there. I did get some here in Australia - so just wanted to be prepared if there is any.
It's just been my experience that one bar won't go above and beyond, and they all more or less do the same thing. I worked at a bar briefly a few years ago, and we were really busy Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and moderately busy (20-40 people) Sundays and Thursdays. Though the bar did well and had original ideas, they still aggressively pushed to bring in more people and would come up with events, themes, etc. to bring in people... though that also contributed to the overall scene and what I could do at home any day of the week. I just don't see the same drive and creativity here, but rather they seem to match what the others do and hold events once in awhile. If you just want to go out for drinks, then I guess it's fine. If you want unique specials or entertainment, that will be harder to find.

I've seen a number of Asian restaurants, namely Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai and Vietnamese. More specialized places (Khmer, Burmese, Afghan, etc.) just aren't here. I've seen Italian and German restaurants, but not sure about other European cuisines. I actually wouldn't include Mexican into the mix, but I'm used to a stronger Spanish/Latino influence. The cuisine here is definitely Tex-Mex. I gave up eating it, because it just doesn't taste right to me. Above all though, I think you'll find more typical American fare (especially Southern) is preferred. I can't vouch for it though, because that food would have me sick for days after consumption.

To be honest, the most racism I've encountered in Oklahoma is just talk. Doesn't make it right, but I haven't noticed outright, physical hostility, intimidation and so forth. A few weeks ago I saw a group of Arabs protesting an oil company while I was at a red light. My window was down and a homeless white guy said to me that police would chase him away, but allowed them to protest... then said "they treat us whites worse." Even though he was harassing people for money (illegal) and they were peaceably assembling (Constitutional right). It does bother me when people make those comments to me with gay abandon, assuming I agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,420 times
I gave up drinking about 30 years ago. I never had much trouble finding a drink though and that's even during the time the state was dry. The 80's and 90's were a difficult time in Oklahoma dating from about the time of the Penn Square collapse and many places disappeared and a lot of people had to leave the state just to find work.

As for restaurants it is pretty easy to fall into a pattern of patronizing personal favorites. So a few friends and I purposefully and regularly seek and try different places. I am always surprised at the places we find because I usually think I know every place since I've lived here so long. Usually I am quite happy with our explorations.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Historically, most Oklahomans have been opposed to drinking since alcohol was prohibited beginning shortly after statehood started. Oklahoma was never one of the states that approved of national repeal of alcohol prohibition. In Oklahoma, prohibition wasn't repealed until 1959, which didn't include liquor by the drink. That wasn't approved until 1984. So in Oklahoma bars never gained a popular place in our culture as a way to go socializing as they did in the Northeast. Instead, people go to church or private gatherings when they want to socialize.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:33 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Here in Oklahoma you can't buy wine or strong beer in the grocery stores. They can only be bought in liquor stores. And by law, the stores are to close by 9PM every night and closed on Sunday, you're suppose to spend that day with Jesus. So if you had company drop by make sure you are stocked up on wine.

If you ever need to get a real city fix, you can easily drive down to Dallas for a weekend. They have a great light rail system, it will take you everywhere.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:43 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Here in Oklahoma you can't buy wine or strong beer in the grocery stores. They can only be bought in liquor stores. And by law, the stores are to close by 9PM every night and closed on Sunday, you're suppose to spend that day with Jesus. So if you had company drop by make sure you are stocked up on wine.

If you ever need to get a real city fix, you can easily drive down to Dallas for a weekend. They have a great light rail system, it will take you everywhere.
I really don't have an issue with the ban on Sunday sales as I lived in Colorado before moving here. They only lifted the ban 3 years ago so Oklahoma isn't behind the times. Colorado also closes the liquor stores at 10 so I don't see an issue with a 9 PM close. I would have an issue with a time earlier than that. I would like to see wine sales in the grocery stores and that initiative should be on the ballot next year.

As far as blue laws go, I think it is nice to have Sunday closure for some things. I can shop for a car in peace on Sunday and used car salesmen have the opportunity to obtain forgiveness and salvation. Isn't that a "Win-Win"?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM

63 posts, read 107,005 times
Default Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston928 View Post
My husband was recently offered a new job in Oklahoma City. We will be making our move from Boston next month. ...

So I don't mind living on the cusp of a less safe area, but need to be somewhere relatively safe, as I do have a 1 year old.
We are also looking in Edmond and some in Norman.

Between checking out properties, I was also hoping to do some exploring. I would love to get some recommendations for a day trip or two. I will have a rental car and have no problem with an hour or so drive anywhere. Museums, historical sites, pretty scenery. .. anything that is a must see or uniquely Oklahoman? Perhaps something more off the beaten path?
Lastly, are Oklahomans pretty welcoming to outsiders?
Thanks in advance. I am so excited for our move and I look forward to your input!
Welcome to tornado alley.

We know you really wanted to come to see the leaves changing color as the trees fly through the air.

Compared to Boston, I think you might find yourself a bit bored after a few years here. But certainly not boring weather wise.

Since moving here 4 years ago I have gotten to experience:
Tornados
Flash floods
Raging wildfires
Massive drought
Arizona like heat
Ice storms
Crazy sized hail...think baseballs
Winds that don't let up for weeks
Earthquakes...yea...you wouldn't think
and generally nice people

Save for that last one, my neighbor says none of that was a big issue until I moved here. lol

Edmond is nice and very liveable as far as access to things.

Bricktown in OKC is the happening place to be. Outside of bricktown...mehhh

Dallas is not too far a drive if you crave big city life for the weekend.

No pro football teams in Oklahoma. College football is the big draw here. And of course the pro basketball.

Norman is a college town. And that area is almost always on the weather warning alert spot when spring nasty weather arrives.

You will notice a lot of people have carports. It's not just the heat. You will also notice many vehicles that have lots of little dents all over them. Hail damage. Fairly common around here.

If you don't have window tint on your vehicle, get it done. The summer heat can be blazing here and it does help.

One important suggestion is to get yourself a good weather radio with battery backup and tune it properly. Weather alerts happen at all times of day...even in the wee hours of the morning when most are snoozing.

If you do not have a storm shelter, and mostly likely won't if you're in an apartment, you need to educate yourself on what to do when bad weather is at your doorstep. In many places of the country, it's just a bad thunderstorm. Down here and in TX and other states, it can seriously ruin your day if you don't know what to do. Pay attention to the local weather on tv and know what to do if you are caught out driving and uh oh...that looks like a....

Put a weather alert app on your phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City