Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM

374 posts, read 807,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I might be a "fish out of water" but I don't wear pj's to Walmart. And, if I wore dentures, I'd have them in....
I don't shop at Wal Mart. I wouldn't know. Maybe you should find a better place to shop.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,289 times
[quote=johnspecial;33599896]I don't shop at Wal Mart. I wouldn't know. Maybe you should find a better place to shop.[/quote

Oh, do they have Piggley Wiggley's here you haunt? FYI: I shop high end stores too as that's how I roll....But I do buy my food at Wally World as OKC sucks for grocery stores....

Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM

[quote=Hazel Eyes;33600615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
I don't shop at Wal Mart. I wouldn't know. Maybe you should find a better place to shop.[/quote

Oh, do they have Piggley Wiggley's here you haunt? FYI: I shop high end stores too as that's how I roll....But I do buy my food at Wally World as OKC sucks for grocery stores....
LOL what a helpless transplant you are. Don't have a flat tire.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,289 times
[quote=johnspecial;33600712]
Quote:

LOL what a helpless transplant you are. Don't have a flat tire.

Helpless? Since when does shopping for groceries at Walmart mean someone is helpless???

And you're the reason we "transplants" have found OKC not so friendly.....

Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM

[quote=Hazel Eyes;33601663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post

Helpless? Since when does shopping for groceries at Walmart mean someone is helpless???

And you're the reason we "transplants" have found OKC not so friendly.....
You are the one who used Wal Mart as an insult. Not me.

Reading some of your previous posts, I'm betting it has more to do with your condescension. I wish you well in your quest to find a suitable grocery store. Sorry we couldn't meet your delicate standards.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
...OKC sucks for grocery stores...
Crest is pretty decent. Good prices typically. In my experience, they are cheaper for groceries than Wally.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 PM

85 posts, read 203,292 times
Why does this have to be a fight? When people move here to NorCal, I am interested in their hometowns and respectful of their lives. I take them to San Francisco and have them over for supper. I welcome them, I guess.

I have lived in other states (OK and Texas) while in the military. I felt very welcomed there and didn't feel I stuck out as much as I probably did. Loved Lawton, the summer rain, chicken fried steak, crickets at night. I visit each year for family reunions since my huge family hails from OK and Texas. Each year I wish I could just snatch up a home and stay. Love the big skies, love the quick weather changes, love the relaxing pace. I grew up in 4-H and was President of the FFA in high school.

Now I am a client success manager for a tech company and make good money, but pay most of that back to rent. The fast pace of life out here, combined with the low possibility of paying off a mortgage, make Silicon Valley a pretty stressful place. I want to buy a home near OKC and get a slower-paced job and lifestyle. Save up a down payment here and I can buy a house outright in OKC.

I will harbor no hard feelings toward California when I leave and I will ignore any comments about my home state after I move. I grew up with Anti-California sentiment from my family out east and I understand most of it. The rest is just over-generalization because other than the coastal areas, California is as red as OK. So, I let it roll, no big deal.

Thanks for any info you can share about having a positive move from NorCal to OKC.

Last edited by misscassandra; 02-23-2014 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: auto correct

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
As a transplant from socal going on six years, I will say that thought there are some utterly nonsensical things done here (mostly political) I'll take the slowed down society here over socal any day or year. I don't live in OKC so I don't know how it is there, but I find this state much more like the California I grew up in. I grew up in Los Angeles, San Fernando valley when it was just turning from Oranges to houses and it was a very different way of life than one finds now. There are places there I love, but I don't want to go see them since I'd rather remember them how they were.

I'm never going to demand someone who came from here comply to the norm of some other state, be it California, Florida or Britan (with someone in mind for all three) and all found a place they wanted to stay. Though my British friend still keeps his accent with occasional bits of Oklahoma entwined.

I think you get what you give, and most Californian's wouldn't much like someone from New York telling them how to live, or from Oklahoma or some other place. I myself don't try to be anyone but me. If I fit in good, if not good. But I have no, none, any desire to go back the coast. I love our sunsets and sky and trees and the open land. I was used to wind thanks to the Santa Ana's which blew most of the time, but I wouldn't go back the same old weather (would like a tornado shelter, though). I think most expats from California who stay are not making lists of things which the locals do wrong. I think its kind of funny when some work was being done on my house and relatives in California were helping out, and they kept complaining it was taking TOO LONG. I just laughed, but realized I'm internalized the Oklahoma sense of time, so I think I'd be really unhappy back in the old rat race pace.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Southern California and moved here 3 years ago...As a U.S. citizen, I can do that! I would pack and move back today if I could. I found the Calif. people much more accepting to out-of-staters while living there than what I've experienced here.

I'm not a liberal and my family and friends in CA. aren't either! We aren't all granola eating hippies!

The drivers here have a death wish; MINE...Do people here have to take driving tests? No IQ required here for getting behind a wheel! Oklahoma was on the list of 10 for having the worst drivers in the nation...I agree!!

Yes, the weather is bad; but I knew that before moving here. I just didn't know the wind blew this hard all the time! The song, "Oklahoma, where the wind blows softly across the plains" isn't completely true. Brushing my hair before I get into the car is a waste of time!

So, Oklahoma, we feel your unwelcome vibes and I thank you for that. I now know I won't stay here after my husband retires!.
The song actually states and implies otherwise: "Where the wind comes sweeping down the Plains . . ."

[dailymotion]x7k7fi_oklahoma_music[/dailymotion]

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
I might be a "fish out of water" but I don't wear pj's to Walmart. And, if I wore dentures, I'd have them in....
Hey now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City