Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Incorrect. I was addressing one specific post:

To which I replied:

I can see where you might think I was demonizing the Right over the Left, but it is only because of the specific post I was responding to.

I acknowledge that leftwingers are just as bad at this sort of thing, and it is utterly useless, counter-productive and stupid regardless of which side of the political fence a person sits on.

And if you think this kind of thing is more prevalent from one "team" than the other, you could not possibly be more wrong. I invite you again to peruse the Political Forum of this site or any other.

Anyone who thinks one party is preferable to the other is most likely too imbecillic to be allowed to vote.

No reasonable person should ever vote for any Democrat OR Republican for any national office ever.

One correction I would make to your post:

There are no actual conservatives in American politics anymore. The Republican Party jettisoned all true conservatives and conservative principles 40+ years ago.

It's very unfortunate.

Now we are left with a GOP comprised of neo-con "social conservatives" which is absolutely antithetical to true conservativism.

If the past few decades should have proven anything to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and awareness of what is going on, it is that both of the two major parties in America are equally corrupt.

The Republican Party is every bit 100% as incompetent and irresponsible with resources and finances as the Democrats, and the Republican Party is every bit 100% as invasive and intrusive into the private lives of citizens as the Democrats.

Althought they might waste money and invade our private lives in different ways and for different reasons, the result is the same.

National level politicians from BOTH parties are completely bought, sold and owned by special interest groups: multinational CEOs, heads of global banks and energy concerns, defense contractors, lobbyists, etc.

Those are the people with the real power and control. The politicians are just figureheads lining their pockets and the pockets of their cronies, and laughing at all of us arguing party politics while they blow their nose with The Constitution.
Reps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 11,400 times
To the OP, welcome. I apologize that this thread derailed on you. I wanted to comment that OKC actually does have a community center for LGBT folk. It's called The Cimmaron Alliance (that's the name of the local organization and the community center). You can find it here: Cimarron Alliance | For a fair and just Oklahoma!. The Cimarron Alliance also has a Diversity Business Association, which my partner and I utilized when we relocated to OKC last August. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 53,998 times
Thanks amygio, and thanks everyone for all the help/advice with our new move to OKC. We found a place in the Douglas Park/Edgemere neighborhood and we're very excited to finally be settled.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,873 times
it's funny the people here worrying about gay people "being in your face." I've been here in Oklahoma for 3 weeks and everywhere I go it's "in your face" with christianity and religion- it's on people's shirts, bumper stickers on their cars, on their desks at work, in random coffee shops, book shops, grocery stores, small-talk conversation, there's christian books and things in your face constantly, there's billboards, lettering on churches telling you're basically scum if you don't believe, radio ads, tv ads and prayer sessions before OKC thunder games. The amount of propaganda is sickening. Tone down the brainwashing and let people make up their own minds.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
it's funny the people here worrying about gay people "being in your face." I've been here in Oklahoma for 3 weeks and everywhere I go it's "in your face" with christianity and religion- it's on people's shirts, bumper stickers on their cars, on their desks at work, in random coffee shops, book shops, grocery stores, small-talk conversation, there's christian books and things in your face constantly, there's billboards, lettering on churches telling you're basically scum if you don't believe, radio ads, tv ads and prayer sessions before OKC thunder games. The amount of propaganda is sickening. Tone down the brainwashing and let people make up their own minds.
You forgot the Ten Comandments placed on the Capitol lawn.

Wait until election time, it really ramps up then. All the bible phony politicians trying to see who can be the most self righteous, wrapping themselves in the flag, carrying a cross and bible with the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing in the background. It's sickening!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM

STOP Tkxn and Okie1962, you're scaring this OK newbie, That stuff is going to freak me out! People don't talk about religion where I'm from, that's a personal thing. I hope I meet some normal people while I'm here.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Does anyone think Ed Shadid has a shot at winning mayor in March? From what I've read about him, he sounds great.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,873 times
I've only visited OKC for a day and it seemed fine... it's probably a lot different than the small town I live in now called Enid. It's more of an annoyance than anything though- I'm just not used to it.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I try to tune out all that Christian religious fanaticism and don't notice it much. But once again, it reflects how churches are a highly popular way to socialize in Oklahoma. With alcohol banned from statehood until 1959 and liquor by the drink banned until 1984, bars were hardly ever allowed to get started as they did in other states.

Churches happen to play a powerful role in some ways in running state government affairs. The reason why one Lawton State Senator refused to allow a hearing in his committee on legalizing marijuana was because his church doesn't approve of it. He is close to his church from being a deacon. So much for separation of church and state.

I theorize these backward religious attitudes come from the nature of the people who settled in Oklahoma during the land runs. They were probably so conservative in their religious ways that they were treated as outcasts and came to believe that leaving for Oklahoma was a good way to practice their faith in peace. So today the Baptists rule Oklahoma, like the Mormons rule Utah.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Sad commentary on ONE Okie, who doesn't represent us all.

Oklahoma restaurant owner says he doesn't want gays around | News OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City