Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 PM

23 posts, read 70,677 times

Advertisements

Just moved to the city for work. Loving it so far.

I've been told by most of the locals that tornadoes aren't as big a deal as outsiders seem to make them. That said, I want to know some more specifics.

- How real is the threat from tornadoes?

- I live on the 2nd story of a building in an apartment complex. Do I need to worry about seeking shelter lower? Or do I just huddle in the closet with my girlfriend and two cats?

- What's the best way to keep track of tornadoes? Is there a twitter account I can follow? Something online? (I don't get cable...)

- Any other tips/tricks/advice?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 AM

72 posts, read 126,757 times
- Yes the threat is real
- No, 2nd story is not a good idea
- Sign up for news alerts and pay attention to weather radios if you have one available at work
- Make a plan now for where you will go in the event of severe weather

I'm sure the people affected by the huge tornado last year would agree that tornados are in fact a very big deal.

The meteorologists and weather people in the area are the best at what they do and you will often have several days notice of impending bad weather. Take their advice and always have a plan of action as to where you can go if you need to seek shelter.

If possible make friends with a co-worker that owns a home with a storm shelter and lives nearby. Last year we had 5 adults, 5 kids and 2 dogs in our shelter in the garage. It was tight but at least we had the option to be there. I live in Edmond and one tornado ended up crossing I-35 about 3 miles south of my home.

That all being said don't let the threat of bad weather be a constant source of worry. Just be alert and pay attention and you'll be fine.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM

78 posts, read 121,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarbus View Post
Just moved to the city for work. Loving it so far.

I've been told by most of the locals that tornadoes aren't as big a deal as outsiders seem to make them. That said, I want to know some more specifics.

- How real is the threat from tornadoes?

- I live on the 2nd story of a building in an apartment complex. Do I need to worry about seeking shelter lower? Or do I just huddle in the closet with my girlfriend and two cats?

- What's the best way to keep track of tornadoes? Is there a twitter account I can follow? Something online? (I don't get cable...)

- Any other tips/tricks/advice?

Thanks in advance everyone.
@kocodamonlane
@nwsnorman
@aarontuttleok

Those will be good ones to start with. The threat is always there, but honestly it's not like you will be dodging tornadoes on your way home from work every day. The warnings come pretty far in advance now so you usaually will know when to expect tornado capable weather. Based on those warning you can plan ahead. If you have a 3 day warning that there is a chance for catastrophic weather, plan on getting out of that apartment and finding a shelter or basement to hide in. If it is a small storm that spawns one out pretty quick, you should be safe sheltering in your closet or bathtub.

Just don't freak out the first time it happens. More often than not, nothing will happen. Just keep an eye on things and you should be fine. Once you get use to it though you will be like the rest of us and go stand outside and take pictures of everything

Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Just move to someplace like Moore.......everyone knows tornadoes don't hit the same place twice.........

Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 70,677 times
Thanks for the advice. Just trying not to under OR over react to anything.

So basically, bigger storms there should be more notice and we can (and should) make plans in advance of where to go if we need to seek shelter. Smaller storms won't be as large of a threat and hiding out in here should be fine.

I live within a mile of downtown OKC (I like the short commute). Is it true that, historically at least, tornadoes tend to avoid downtown and prefer wide open spaces where they can build momentum?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:56 PM

93 posts, read 179,436 times
no. tornadoes can happen anywhere. stuff about them avoiding rivers, downtown, certain towns, etc are myths. as are things like them being attracted to trailer parks, and such.

bottom line:

tornadoes can happen anywhere, at any time, (in a storm, they don't happen in clear weather, LOL) day or night but generally happen in the afternoon in the springtime, and the fall. you are in the epicenter of tornado alley. they can hit you. the good news is most tornadoes are a few hundred feet across, and only last a few minutes. your odds are very low actually of being hit by one.

you still need to be prepared though in case you do get hit. It's gonna hit somebody and there's no reason to think you won't be next. so......

Have a plan and execute it when tornado warnings are issued, and have a NOAA radio or some other such thing (iphone app) that will wake you if a warning occurs in the middle of the night)

Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,767 times
You will likely hear a tornado siren (civil defense siren) which means you are under a tornado warning and you should seek shelter. Other ways of getting that information is a weather radio, following twitter, and listening to local radio channels. I would recommend getting on the first floor in an interior room somehow. The chances of being bit by a tornado is extremely slim but the threat is still there. You are far more likely to see giant hail destroy your car.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
And when giant hail is mentioned, it means occasionally in a hailstorm there will a larger stone than the others.

I know it's possible for a funnel to hit, but in my long life it never has, so I don't pay much attention to them. I never heard my parents mention a storm. I think back then they were called cyclones.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
And when giant hail is mentioned, it means occasionally in a hailstorm there will a larger stone than the others.

I know it's possible for a funnel to hit, but in my long life it never has, so I don't pay much attention to them. I never heard my parents mention a storm. I think back then they were called cyclones.
I got slammed by a golf ball sized hail in the ol' cranium while doing some business in north Dallas one time. I ran out to the car to get it under an overpass (many in Oklahoma/Texas will do this during a hail storm) and didn't make it in time. It hurt like a son of a !

Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM

374 posts, read 806,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato bandito View Post
@kocodamonlane
@nwsnorman
@aarontuttleok

Those will be good ones to start with. The threat is always there, but honestly it's not like you will be dodging tornadoes on your way home from work every day. The warnings come pretty far in advance now so you usaually will know when to expect tornado capable weather. Based on those warning you can plan ahead. If you have a 3 day warning that there is a chance for catastrophic weather, plan on getting out of that apartment and finding a shelter or basement to hide in. If it is a small storm that spawns one out pretty quick, you should be safe sheltering in your closet or bathtub.

Just don't freak out the first time it happens. More often than not, nothing will happen. Just keep an eye on things and you should be fine. Once you get use to it though you will be like the rest of us and go stand outside and take pictures of everything
A lot of people will wrap their roofs in tinfoil. This helps to push heat domes away from your structure and can sometimes steer tornadoes away from your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City