Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times

Advertisements

There is a thread around about "Bugs and Scary Things in Oklahoma", so you should read that. The bugs fly and crawl. The worst bugs are ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes and gnats. If we have wet weather, like all last summer, we can have a lot of mosquitoes. Keeping your yard mowed short takes care of the ticks and chiggers, along with the tick formulas for your dogs and cats.

Other than that there are June bugs that are not harmful, just yucky, locusts or cicadas that make a lot of noise, grasshoppers etc.

The fiddleback, or brown recluse, is a poisonous spider that hides in papers and junk like old lumber, in places like garages. If you bought an older house you might have it fumigated first. I found out that those little jumping spiders that live on your ceiling eat fiddlebacks. I always let them live because they are not harmful and I was told never to kill them or you will have bad luck. So, that might be the reason I have never had fiddlebacks in my house. If you go to yard sales, etc., you should be careful that you don't bring any spiders in that may have been living in something, like furniture, stored in an old garage.

It seems to me that Oklahoma has a lot more bugs than it used to. I remember camping in Missouri in the early 70s, and being shocked at the amount of bugs. Looking back, it seems like we are that buggy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Now let's talk a little bit about these "bugs". I've heard them mentioned before here. Exactly what type of bugs are we talking about? I can deal with tornadoes, ice storms, even the occasional snake, but I'm not TOO crazy about bugs. Do these bugs crawl, fly, what? Are they big? I'm getting itchy just writing this. Explain please.
I don't know what these critters were that seemed to be attracted to the light. They looked like a black/brown scorpion and they crawled on the power poles towards the light ...When I was in the pool, I was FREAKING out because I was getting bombarded with hits, one hit my ear and I let out a scream. My hubby told me it was just a June Bug...Well, on the way back to Ca. he told me that was the BIGGEST June Bug he'd ever seen.. He didn't want to scare me in the pool..They have these bugs that make a noise, I think they're called Katydids??? Maybe it's not so bad in the city areas, my in-laws lived out in the country...All I kept thinking is with these bugs, I'd never get in a storm shelter unless we debugged it...
Maybe we should buy a net for nighttime..

Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 PM

That picture is not a June bug. I have never seen a bug like that.

The June bugs are pretty yucky. They are attracted to light and will fly and run into you, but they can't hurt you. They live as a white grub in grassy areas, until they turn into June bugs.

The bugs in the trees are the cicadas, or can be called locusts, and they make a lot of noise.

I spray my storm shelter at least twice a year, and if I start to get worried about severe weather, I spray it with some house and garden spray. There is nothing for the bugs to eat in a cement storm shelter, so they don't really get in there much.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
That picture is not a June bug. I have never seen a bug like that.

The June bugs are pretty yucky. They are attracted to light and will fly and run into you, but they can't hurt you. They live as a white grub in grassy areas, until they turn into June bugs.

The bugs in the trees are the cicadas, or can be called locusts, and they make a lot of noise.

I spray my storm shelter at least twice a year, and if I start to get worried about severe weather, I spray it with some house and garden spray. There is nothing for the bugs to eat in a cement storm shelter, so they don't really get in there much.
I know that...that was my attempt at humor.. Looked more like a roach!

Do you have potato bugs back there? We get them in the house once in awhile. I woke up one morning and felt something scratchy in my nightgown and when I pulled my gown out, it was a huge potato bug...I screamed bloody murder!

This one is a potato bug...ugh!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Oh, I love the sounds of locusts and frogs and grasshoppers. Reminds me of all the sounds from when I was little and growing up on a farm. Luckily, we live on "what used to be" the outskirts of town so we still get to hear those sounds. So peaceful and relaxing.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh, I love the sounds of locusts and frogs and grasshoppers. Reminds me of all the sounds from when I was little and growing up on a farm. Luckily, we live on "what used to be" the outskirts of town so we still get to hear those sounds. So peaceful and relaxing.
When we lived in Phoenix we had a lot of locusts on trees in our backyard. I agree the SOUND of grasshoppers and locusts can be very soothing, it's the SIGHT of them that makes my skin crawl.

We get these beetles here in New Jersey in the summertime who are attracted by our outside lights.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I know that...that was my attempt at humor.. Looked more like a roach!

Do you have potato bugs back there? We get them in the house once in awhile. I woke up one morning and felt something scratchy in my nightgown and when I pulled my gown out, it was a huge potato bug...I screamed bloody murder!

This one is a potato bug...ugh!
That's good to know. I was afraid we were being invaded by some new giant bug!

That particular bug doesn't look familiar to me--the potato bug. We have a lot of beetles and such that will get in your garden. From year to year I see a lot of one kind of bug, then never see many again.

I live way out in the country, so we do have a lot of bugs. Not too many June bugs so far though. Our relatives in town don't have that many bug problems. They did have a lot of mosquitoes last summer, but usually don't.

Jammie, I don't mind the cicadas most years, but during a really hot summer they can get really irritating. The hotter it gets it seems like the noisier they are, so I associate them with the cabin fever I get during the summer.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
That's good to know. I was afraid we were being invaded by some new giant bug!

That particular bug doesn't look familiar to me--the potato bug. We have a lot of beetles and such that will get in your garden. From year to year I see a lot of one kind of bug, then never see many again.

I live way out in the country, so we do have a lot of bugs. Not too many June bugs so far though. Our relatives in town don't have that many bug problems. They did have a lot of mosquitoes last summer, but usually don't.

Jammie, I don't mind the cicadas most years, but during a really hot summer they can get really irritating. The hotter it gets it seems like the noisier they are, so I associate them with the cabin fever I get during the summer.
I believe the real name of the potato bug is Jesusalem Beetle. They can get close to 3 inches full grown and as you can see...UGLY..They don't hurt you, but they sure make me run...

Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 AM

31 posts, read 158,841 times
I am curious too, like Colleen, what type of bugs are you talking about?? Are you bombarded by mosquitos in the summer?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 PM

If you live in Tulsa or OKC metro areas, you will not see that many mosquitoes except when the weather is very rainy for a long time. Usually our weather is drier than many areas. If you live near unmowed fields and woods, you will have more mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks, & gnats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City