Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 AM

24,498 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You make some good points here. However, I think Austin is a culture. It's an attitude. Sure, there is more of everything in Dallas but it doesn't have the same kind of overall culture and feel that Austin does. Austin runs on its own wavelength so to speak. I think it's the culture that draws people to Austin and also until recently, it was a cheaper alternative to Portland or Seattle. The cost of living has skyrocketed there though as popular as it is.

I don't think Oklahoma City will ever be an "Austin" or any of the other cities that young people are flocking to and that represent Millennial culture. If anything its the antithesis of Austin and the other hipster hotspots. People in places like OKC are the people moving to these cities like Austin and Portland. They move there because it's the opposite of the boring, oppressively conservative and religious environment of Oklahoma.
And you are where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 PM

471 posts, read 825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
There is a lot of speculation about the future of OKC- it is becoming increasingly more vibrant. Since Oklahoma isnt exactly known to be the most artsy/music/progressive state, more people from surrounding towns are moving to OKC to find these things. From what I have been told there seems to be increasingly more emphasis on education and less on religion in OKC. Do you envision an ongoing trend of this nature in the future?
What do you mean by "vibrant?" OU's stadium gets pretty vibrant on game days. It even quivers & pulsates when the band starts playing, and is full of bright, striking colors.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Why would you assume that I'm from Denver or live in Denver? Neither is true. I'm a self made millionaire and I like to travel around the country/world and go on adventures. So if anyone can objectively compare cities, it's me. I have no dog in the fight between Austin vs OKC or Austin vs Denver or Austin vs San Jose. I can tell you one thing though, you look really silly trying to defend Austin from your subjective pro-Austin, pro-Texas biased stance.

Let me put it as bluntly as possible. Austin is one of the most overrated cities in the world from a size to what if offers ratio. If I want to go to a city for the arts scene, I'll go to LA, NYC, SF, Chicago. If I want to go to a city for legal weed, I'll go to Seattle, Portland, Boston. If I want to go somewhere for world class outdoor activities, I'll go to Denver or SLC. If I want to go somewhere multicultural, I'll go to Miami, Toronto or Houston. If I want to go somewhere for a nice beach, I'll go to Tampa or Hawaii. If I want to go somewhere and watch pro sports teams I'll go to Philly, Phoenix or Dallas. Somewhere with multiple pro sports franchises. If I want to go somewhere for BBQ, I'll go to KC. If I want to go somewhere to gamble or club, I'll go to Vegas. If I want to go somewhere for technology, I'll go to San Jose.

You see what the common theme is here? Austin is inferior to a lot of other American cities from an objective outsider's point of view when we get right down to comparing activities. Sure Austin has SXSW but you do realize there are other music festivals in this country right? Ever heard of Coachella or Lollapalooza? You do realize that every major band that goes to SXSW also tours to other cities right? You do realize that I can catch my favorite bands in other cities that also have legal weed and pro sports teams too right? Basically what it boils down to is Austin is not world class in anything to the point where it would draw me as a visitor/adventurer. So if it can't even persuade me as a vacationer, it's got no chance in hell of convincing me to be a permanent resident or advocate.

I realize you are very biased in favor of Austin so I'm sure that's where your vitriol comes from in calling myself and others names and having irrational delusions of grandeur. Being the little brother to Dallas and Houston in Texas doesn't help the cause much either. For the record, Austin is the biggest city in America without a pro sports franchise. Sports leagues are multi-billion industries. You seemed to brush that off as if it doesn't matter. Money talks in America. That's a big slap in the face to Austin that no franchises have decided to expand to the Austin city limits. Being late to the party sucks cause you miss out on everything.
For reals my nizzle? If you were a millionaire of any type you wouldn't be tooting your own horn or living in Missouri. Keep playing. They draw the winning Powerball numbers on Wednesday and Saturday night.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM

471 posts, read 825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
For reals my nizzle? If you were a millionaire of any type you wouldn't be tooting your own horn or living in Missouri. Keep playing. They draw the winning Powerball numbers on Wednesday and Saturday night.
Foe rizzel!! My Nizzle, I think you done sniffed out a fraud.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
There is a lot of speculation about the future of OKC- it is becoming increasingly more vibrant. Since Oklahoma isnt exactly known to be the most artsy/music/progressive state, more people from surrounding towns are moving to OKC to find these things. From what I have been told there seems to be increasingly more emphasis on education and less on religion in OKC. Do you envision an ongoing trend of this nature in the future?
No Oklahoma City is not going to become the next Dallas , Houston , San Antonio or El Paso Texas . And definitely not a Austin Texas , OKC if not a Texan City and never will become one !!!.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No Oklahoma City is not going to become the next Dallas , Houston , San Antonio or El Paso Texas . And definitely not a Austin Texas , OKC if not a Texan City and never will become one !!!.
Oklahoma City is more likely to be the next kind of city that is going downhill, especially if Republican legislators refuse to run the state better.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why Austin and not Houston or Dallas? Even Houston is aspiring to be an Alpha city.

Would people be stupid enough to move to a hyped-up Madison over world-class Chicago? Madison offers scenery and proximity to Wisconsin Dells, a favorite road-trip destination for Chicagoans. Chicago offers scenery, world-class architecture, museums/cultural activities, diverse industries, magnet for corporations/jobs, etc. Austin and Houston, respectively, would be similar.

Well I'd move to Sacramento over L.A. and S.F. because it's cool and cheaper than the two big coastal cities then! Lots of Texans try to get located there if transferred to California for mostly job-related reasons.
But Sacramento isn't cooler than LA or SF.

Austin is not cheaper than Houston or Dallas either.

No, OKC, will not be the next Austin.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
But Sacramento isn't cooler than LA or SF.

Austin is not cheaper than Houston or Dallas either.

No, OKC, will not be the next Austin.
OKC and Austin are virtually polar opposites.

OKC has low real-estate prices for a reason. This isn't a popular city. It's not a "cool" city. It's an alright place to raise a family but it will never be a place people seek out. Places like Austin, Denver, Portland, and Seattle have skyrocketing real estate prices because they are desirable and people want to live there.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Dont insult OKC like this OP.

Austin's goal is to be weird, no other city will ever make the claim

Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC and Austin are virtually polar opposites.

OKC has low real-estate prices for a reason. This isn't a popular city. It's not a "cool" city. It's an alright place to raise a family but it will never be a place people seek out. Places like Austin, Denver, Portland, and Seattle have skyrocketing real estate prices because they are desirable and people want to live there.
Nobody we know wants to live in the city of OKC. Everyone seems to prefer Edmond, which is ridiculously over-priced and has very high property taxes. Even Edmond will never be like the cities you mentioned. We couldn't even get a more upscale shopping area approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City