Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Don't judge a man until you have walked in his shoes

Once again DUDE, I made it clear >MY PERSONAL< experience was not positive in Oklahoma, Everywhere else I have lived in the US was just fine !!!
Are you non-white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 PM

171 posts, read 190,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Are you non-white?

Yes, Hispanic american

Was called a wet.back and Sp1c a few times in Edmond. And once, I tried to open a bank account and a lady banker at Kirkpatrick bank on Memorial/Eastern asked "If I was born in this country" >>>>AFTER<<<< I had given her my state ID and social security

WTF ?????????????????????

Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM

570 posts, read 560,541 times
As a Texan I never had an issue with Oklahoma. In fact I met some of the nicest people up there.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Over 20 years ago United airlines was looking for a home for its main maintenance and engineering base, Oklahoma City was sure it landed that deal. It had come down between Oklahoma City and Indianapolis, and Oklahoma City had a much better financial package than Indianapolis did. United pick Indianapolis, they acknowledged that Oklahoma City had a better financial package than Indianapolis, United admitted the quality of life in Oklahoma City was just not on par with other cities its size, and felt it would be unfair to move employees to Oklahoma City.

So the city fathers at that time took lessons they learned from United airlines and tried to make Oklahoma City a better place to live, and I think that is how the maps program started. If you think Oklahoma City is bad now, you should've seen it 25 years ago. It was more famous for its stockyards, and truckstops than anything else. Oklahoma City now looks like an entirely different city than I did 25 years ago, Oklahoma City should be rewarded for how much change they made in such a short time.

But back in the day, there were a lot of people in Oklahoma City, that are kind a like the cheerleaders on this message board. They would hear criticism about Oklahoma City and say well if you don't like it leave, move somewhere else. Oklahoma City had a real head in the sand attitude. Tulsa was by far the premier city in Oklahoma, being light years ahead in almost every category. I don't agree with everything Bwac and Chicagoguy84 said, but a lot of what he said is absolutely true. Oklahoma is way too conservative, and churchy. I have traveled all over the country with my job and have lived in many places, Oklahoma is a very friendly state. But as a white man I can't tell you how hispanics and blacks or Asians are treated in the state because I do not wear their shoes. But I do know as a gay man many times we are treated like crap, especially during election season when the Republicans are trying to drum up votes from the Bible thumpers.

Even though Oklahoma City has made tremendous changes, and I mean tremendous, it will never lose its stigma as backwards hick town if it keeps electing these hard-core right-wing Republicans. We will have a hard time bringing in high-paying jobs when our schools and highways literally suck! We can't get teachers to even stay in the state, they are leaving the state in masses heading toward Texas, where teachers are respected and rewarded for their hard Work. I cannot tell you how many times I hear, in Oklahoma, people saying that teachers don't even deserve the money they make now, because They get off during the summer. And a lot of people claim their just glorified babysitters. It seems like a lot of people in the state have little or no respect for public education, and this is so different than what I saw when I was living up in Pennsylvania and upstate New York, where they take great pride in their schools and teachers.

We should listen to what critics are saying about Oklahoma, and Oklahoma City. A lot of you think they are just being hateful trolls, they live here and are telling you about their experience here. Some of that may be exaggerations, but a lot of it is valid truth. How can we make ourselves better if we don't listen to what other people say? How many times have we traveled to other places in the United States and said, why are our roads not this good? Why is this city so much cleaner than we are? Why does this city seem to have so much more to do and see than we have in Oklahoma? Why is it when we get back home and people point this out to us we jump on their back's and stick our heads in the sand? Maybe this would be a better place to live if we would listen to people not argue with them and explain to them they don't know what the heck they're talking about. They are basically saying the same thing United airlines told Oklahoma City, we learned a lesson from that and make this a better place to live.

Last edited by okie1962; 08-16-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Over 20 years ago United airlines was looking for a home for its main maintenance and engineering base, Oklahoma City was sure it landed that deal. It had come down between Oklahoma City and Indianapolis, and Oklahoma City had a much better financial package than Indianapolis did. United pick Indianapolis, they acknowledged that Oklahoma City had a better financial package than Indianapolis, United admitted the quality of life in Oklahoma City was just not on par with other cities its size, and felt it would be unfair to move employees to Oklahoma City.

So the city fathers at that time took lessons they learned from United airlines and tried to make Oklahoma City a better place to live, and I think that is how the maps program started. If you think Oklahoma City is bad now, you should've seen it 25 years ago. It was more famous for its stockyards, and truckstops than anything else. Oklahoma City now looks like an entirely different city than I did 25 years ago, Oklahoma City should be rewarded for how much change they made in such a short time.

But back in the day, there were a lot of people in Oklahoma City, that are kind a like the cheerleaders on this message board. They would hear criticism about Oklahoma City and say well if you don't like it leave, move somewhere else. Oklahoma City had a real head in the sand attitude. Tulsa was by far the premier city in Oklahoma, being light years ahead in almost every category. I don't agree with everything Chicagoguy84 said, but a lot of what he said is absolutely true. Oklahoma is way too conservative, and churchy. I have traveled all over the country with my job and have lived in many places, Oklahoma is a very friendly state. But as a white man I can't tell you how hispanics and blacks or Asians are treated in the state because I do not wear their shoes. But I do know as a gay man many times we are treated like crap, especially during election season when the Republicans are trying to drum up votes from the Bible thumpers.

Even though Oklahoma City has made tremendous changes, and I mean tremendous, it will never lose its stigma as backwards hick town if it keeps electing these hard-core right-wing Republicans. We will have a hard time bringing in high-paying jobs when our schools and highways literally suck! We can't get teachers to even stay in the state, they are leaving the state in masses heading toward Texas, where teachers are respected and rewarded for their hard Work. I cannot tell you how many times I hear, in Oklahoma, people saying that teachers don't even deserve the money they make now, because They get off during the summer. And a lot of people claim their just glorified babysitters. It seems like a lot of people in the state have little or no respect for public education, and this is so different than what I saw when I was living up in Pennsylvania and upstate New York, where they take great pride in their schools and teachers.

We should listen to what critics are saying about Oklahoma, and Oklahoma City. A lot of you think you're just being hateful trolls, they live here and are telling you about their experience here. Some of that may be exaggerations, but a lot of it is valid truth. How can we make herself better if we don't listen to what other people say? How many times have we traveled to other places in the United States and said, why are our roads not this good? Why is this city so much cleaner than we are? Why does this city seem to have so much more to do and see what we have in Oklahoma? Why is it when we get back home and people point this out to us we jump on their back's and sticker heads in the sand? Maybe this would be a better place to live if we would listen to people not argue with them and explain to them they don't know what the heck they're talking about.
This 100% I think this says it better than anybody in the thread has.

Oklahoma City is much better than it used to be. A lot of people who have never been here end up leaving pleasantly surprised. Much of that being because their expectations are so low, but still, it's come a long ways. OKC is still behind most other cities its size but it isn't near as far behind as it once was in most areas. I remember the 90s especially before the bombing when Oklahoma City was pretty much known for its endless sprawl of truck stops and fast food restaurants that made it a great place to stop and break-up monotony on a cross-country road trip. It was basically a larger version of what Amarillo still is. Today it's actually almost a real city.

The area's extreme conservatism in an even more conservative state however really holds it back in terms of actually becoming an Austin or a Louisville or a Charlotte. Oklahoma could change that perception by simply doing a few things. Legalize marijuana and pass a statewide LGBT employment/housing protection act like many states have. At the same time, start giving schools the funding they need. Cut the unnecessary tax breaks for big oil executives. Do those things and watch Oklahoma boom. OKC would be one of the next "it" cities if this would happen. Unfortunately it will not because most people in the state only care about issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and having a Ten Commandments monument. Republicans have their votes locked and can pretty much do whatever they want without accountability. Until that changes, I think OKC will always somewhat lag its peers, even though it is much better and closer to its peers than it used to be.

Last edited by bawac34618; 08-16-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 01:47 AM

171 posts, read 190,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I don't much care for college sports, don't hunt, not conservative, nor go to church, am a minority, and I love living in Oklahoma! And I'm enjoying my time living in OKC as I enter my 3rd year. Very nice and accepting people.

I'm honestly happy to hear that !!!

Good luck with living OKC

Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:

But back in the day, there were a lot of people in Oklahoma City, that are kind a like the cheerleaders on this message board. They would hear criticism about Oklahoma City and say well if you don't like it leave, move somewhere else. Oklahoma City had a real head in the sand attitude. Tulsa was by far the premier city in Oklahoma, being light years ahead in almost every category. I don't agree with everything Bwac and Chicagoguy84 said, but a lot of what he said is absolutely true. Oklahoma is way too conservative, and churchy. I have traveled all over the country with my job and have lived in many places, Oklahoma is a very friendly state. But as a white man I can't tell you how hispanics and blacks or Asians are treated in the state because I do not wear their shoes. But I do know as a gay man many times we are treated like crap, especially during election season when the Republicans are trying to drum up votes from the Bible thumpers.

We should listen to what critics are saying about Oklahoma, and Oklahoma City. A lot of you think they are just being hateful trolls, they live here and are telling you about their experience here. Some of that may be exaggerations, but a lot of it is valid truth. How can we make ourselves better if we don't listen to what other people say? How many times have we traveled to other places in the United States and said, why are our roads not this good? Why is this city so much cleaner than we are? Why does this city seem to have so much more to do and see than we have in Oklahoma? Why is it when we get back home and people point this out to us we jump on their back's and stick our heads in the sand? Maybe this would be a better place to live if we would listen to people not argue with them and explain to them they don't know what the heck they're talking about. They are basically saying the same thing United airlines told Oklahoma City, we learned a lesson from that and make this a better place to live.

Okie1962 are you running for the high lofty office of Governor of the Great State of OKLAHOMA......if that is true you will always have my vote....!!!

P.S. I'm running for the office of DOG CATCHER....LOL.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 PM

108 posts, read 130,416 times
I'm not going to read this thread.

The simple answer to the question is a strong and resounding...NO

Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

The area's extreme conservatism in an even more conservative state however really holds it back in terms of actually becoming an Austin or a Louisville or a Charlotte. Oklahoma could change that perception by simply doing a few things. Legalize marijuana and pass a statewide LGBT employment/housing protection act like many states have. At the same time, start giving schools the funding they need. Cut the unnecessary tax breaks for big oil executives. Do those things and watch Oklahoma boom. OKC would be one of the next "it" cities if this would happen. Unfortunately it will not because most people in the state only care about issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and having a Ten Commandments monument. Republicans have their votes locked and can pretty much do whatever they want without accountability. Until that changes, I think OKC will always somewhat lag its peers, even though it is much better and closer to its peers than it used to be.
Give credit to Oklahoma voters who voted NO on SQ 790, signifying they didn't agree with Republican legislators that the state constitution be changed to allow a Ten Commandments monument at the State Capitol. But voters still have a problem with keeping legislators in office who are obsessed with Christian right issues, such as banning abortion, stopping gay rights and Ten Commandments posted on public property. The legislator who was behind the Ten Commandments monument controversy at the State Capitol that eventually got removed was reelected by a large margin in 2016.

Oklahoma legislators shouldn't have to feel they have to be on the far Christian right side to please the voters. My state rep refers to himself as a pragmatic humanist in his Twitter profile, is pro choice, has publicly commented that the Ten Commandments monument did not belong at the State Capitol and wasn't afraid to complain about the oil companies causing the earthquakes. Yet, in 2016, he didn't get a single challenger for reelection.

More good people not obsessed with advancing Christian right causes should run for state offices. I think abortion and how it should be restricted is settled at the state level and will require a U. S. Supreme Court ruling to ban it. State legislators should quit wasting time trying to ban abortion.

It would also help if legislators would stop thinking of more ways to stop cities from governing themselves. Republican legislators have tried without success to stop cities from passing anti-discrimination ordinances protecting LGBT.

Medical marijuana has a fairly good, but not 100% sure chance of passing in 2018, but who knows how long it will take for rec marijuana.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM

241 posts, read 431,943 times
Quote:

A lot of what you said is right but they are being hateful trolls. They blab un-constructive criticism non-stop. I'm no cheerleader for OKC, but this ***** gets annoying when the same posters dog on OKC over and over.

If any thread is started for any reason about OKC, you can rest assured Atlanta boy and a few others will be in their going apesh!t about how OKC sucks.

In regards to the OP, if they mean will OKC see a huge boom like Denver, Austin, Portland, etc. I am going to say yes. This city has already changed so much. What's changing now more than ever I am noticing is the culture and the culture is becoming much better. The vibes have been great. The life has been great. OKC is on track to become the next boomtown. We'll see what people like the trolls have to say because my guess is they'll still dog on it. I'm not buying into this nice act by these posters now because they've been called the f##k out and I'm certainly not getting any feel good sense from your post with you trying to be some "realist" and lay claim to the ones calling these fools out as trolls cheerleaders of OKC. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City