Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM

200 posts, read 145,469 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom on basic monthly living expenses for a middle aged guy in OKC who doesn't drink alcohol. These would be:

-Rent for a studio apartment or a bedroom in a shared apartment or house + utilities (doesn't have to be in a fancy neighborhood or one with good schools)
-Groceries (I won't be eating out at all)
-Internet and smartphone (or maybe just a plain old cellphone)
-Toiletries and cleaning supplies
-Basic gym membership (mostly just to lift weights and maybe swim)
-Either public transportation or operating expenses for a 5 year old vehicle (yeah, I know you generally need a car in OKC)

I'm a bit clueless on actual living expenses since I haven't lived in the US for over a decade, so any numbers are appreciated.

Last edited by Yenisei; 12-12-2017 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Added explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 AM

23,922 posts, read 10,269,303 times
Nobody can give you estimates without knowing more about your needs and wants. What brings you to OKC after a decade in Europe?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:59 PM

200 posts, read 145,469 times
I'd like a change of pace and would like to live someplace I haven't before and which is different from what I've experienced. OKC definitely fits the bill. A low cost of living is also an advantage.

Here's what I need for Year 1 (these would be standard monthly expenses):

-Either a studio apt, a shared apt or a room in a house. I don't need that much space. Plus utilities, if applicable.

-As I said, I won't be eating out (unless it's related to work), so groceries for a single person who doesn't drink alcohol.

-A few vitamins (Vit D, Magnesium)

-Toiletries, including cleaning supplies

-Internet for home & smartphone contract

- Two new pairs of running shoes a year. Probably no other clothes

-Monthly bus ticket OR, if a used car is necessary, then standard operating costs (insurance, maintenance, gas, etc.)

-No travel planned

-I do my own taxes

-Would set aside a couple of hundred dollars a month for unexpected health care expenses

Very bare bones, I know, but that's by design.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:04 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,338,353 times
Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City