Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Hi. Well I thought it over and came to the conclusion that if there was not one person on the forum that cared to encourage me to see the things you find most appealing, that perhaps my time spent in OKC would not be very hospitable or enjoyable.
OMFG.

Yes, my whole life depends on the opinions of people i DON'T even know and will most likely never know on a message board. If they don't tell me all the highlights of their state, then I simply won't go to that state.

Hmph! <folds arms in front of chest>

Stop already. My interests are mine and I don't depend on strangers input to decide where to go or not to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Wow; there are a few people here full of anger and other ugliness.

I never asked for anyone's opinions, I asked for people from the area to inform me of the things that should not be missed on a trip to OKC.

Could be a top ten, top five or one incredible experience that defines the place at its best.

I am amused that such a request has brought such vileness in response by a few people. Now I wonder if this is indicative of the area, as I have never found anyone offended if I asked them to share what makes there city really nice.

I don't need anyone's help, this is a forum about OKC, I people here don't want to brag about it a little it must be as bad as some people want to imply.

I will decide that on a future trip, when it is not so important to have a good pleasant trip, as was my goal on this recent trip.

Again to all those who messaged me, thanks a lot, especially the one from Tulsa. (you know who you are)

To those who want to be ugly; you'll have to find another target. Because you are correct, your opinion does not matter to me when it is trying to override a simple, honest, sincere request for assistance in having the best possible impression of OKC. (if this is too much to ask of you, than why would you be on this forum (rhetorical))

To REDBIRD: If you go forth in life with no influence from the knowledge of others, then you go forward blindly, and stupidly for not benefitting from those who went before you. If you read, listen, or watch, you are choosing to expose yourself to other's opinions. But from you're writing, I suspect you would not do that.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Yes, but I could ask the same question in New York and have people recommend catching a Yankee's game or eat at Applebee's in Times Square. I wouldn't do either because neither one of those activities interest me. I would rather take in the architecture of the city and the global offerings in its dining scene than do something someone else likes. I stand by my statement that your interests were too vague. You could eat at nothing but chains here, or try independent places visitors would overlook. Unless you specify, you won't get better examples.

You really believe that someone in NYNY would recommend Applebee's to me?

But yes, the architecture and those things unique to OKC, but alas nothing.

You stand by your statement that I "could eat at chains or go to the independent places that visitors would overlook". Exactly; how about I was a potential 'visitor', and I wanted to avoid the very thing you suggested happens when visitors 'overlook' anything.
You could have offered the name of a few restaurants that you suspect are among those that would be considered among the city's best and/or most popular.

Amazing that with all the posting on this thread, I could actually have gotten some useful info.

Again thanks to those who were so kind.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
You really believe that someone in NYNY would recommend Applebee's to me?

But yes, the architecture and those things unique to OKC, but alas nothing.

You stand by your statement that I "could eat at chains or go to the independent places that visitors would overlook". Exactly; how about I was a potential 'visitor', and I wanted to avoid the very thing you suggested happens when visitors 'overlook' anything.
You could have offered the name of a few restaurants that you suspect are among those that would be considered among the city's best and/or most popular.

Amazing that with all the posting on this thread, I could actually have gotten some useful info.

Again thanks to those who were so kind.

Okay... and if I were back home and someone asked for a restaurant recommendation, how happy would they be when I suggest MY tastes? I know an excellent Mexican place, but it's smothered in exceptionally hot chili. What if you don't like spicy? I can also recommend a less expensive place where you can add chili to your liking, but it's in a really rough neighborhood and you may not be comfortable there. There's a place there I love I'd recommend, but you might be disappointed to find it's a coffee bar when you're looking for a meal. I know of a popular barbecue place, but what if you're vegetarian? Or a great Mongolian grill, but if you have a gluten allergy, you can't eat there. I know of a terrific Ethiopian place, but what if it's too exotic. God... think before you write. People can list a hundred restaurants, but where will you eat? I have dietary restrictions, and I have to be careful in any city, but I'd have the sense to specify if I were to ask. There are so many factors about what you might like, or where you'd be comfortable.

And this???
Quote:
I never asked for anyone's opinions, I asked for people from the area to inform me of the things that should not be missed on a trip to OKC.
The title of this thread is seeking people's opinions. Everyone will have a different opinion on what is worthwhile. Someone could suggest Bricktown because their opinion is that it's fun. My opinion is that it's not that great and it's a hassle to get to, and I'd prefer to go to a place far from that area. Apply that logic anywhere: Times Square-- must see/too touristy and plastic; Eiffel Tower-- great view of Paris/long lines and you can experience better; Las Vegas-- great place to party/too crowded, go to Laughlin.

People aren't getting angry, they're just pointing out the obvious: you weren't specific in your post and got your feelings hurt when no one responded after five days, enough to cancel a trip. They (myself included) are pointing out how ridiculous your logic is. Feel free to look through threads about people looking for advice and recommendations if you need help seeing how it's done if you want to get responses.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 PM

I did not ask for your tastes or opinions, I asked, politely, for anyone such as yourself to share what you 'understand' to be the positives of your city.

Maybe there aren't any. I have never encountered this anywhere, and I have traveled a lot and find people are most always thrilled to be an ambassador of their city.

I have received some hospitable responses through pming, therefore I won't engage in this with anyone. Should I make the trip in the future, I will be shocked if I find most people are like you. The Borg were more hospitable.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 11-18-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

The title of this thread is seeking people's opinions. Everyone will have a different opinion on what is worthwhile.

No, my thread title asked for people's knowledge of their city.

Your arguments read so much like a conversation in a 'drag bar'. I mean that in the nicest sense I possibly could. Been there, done that.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
You haven't encountered this elsewhere? I recall I pointed out that you posted an identical thread in another room, with an identical response when locals there didn't respond. And you're missing the point, dear. The point is that no one responded and it upset you so much you canceled a trip. Don't pull that straw man argument.

I absolutely loathe it when people back pedal after they can't edit what they've written.
What should (conditional modal; frequently used in seeking or giving advice) I not miss (inherently requesting opinions on what a subjective perspective on the city is) on a visit to the city (indicative that you are not a local and need input [rooted in one's opinion] on what others feel you must see, as opposed to researching for yourself) next month? Thanks for your suggestions. ("Suggestion" defined as guidance in behavior, thoughts, etc.; in other words you seek recommendations of others to persuade you to do something based on the experiences and interests of others, which again is their opinion)

Had you elaborated more in your initial post as you are now, then you probably would've received some responses.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,767 times
Check out Bricktown. Have a nice dinner at KDs. Go to the Cowboy and Western Heritage museum. The OKC zoo is pretty good. Cattlemans is interesting but not the greatest. That is about it if you are visiting.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
To REDBIRD: If you go forth in life with no influence from the knowledge of others, then you go forward blindly, and stupidly for not benefitting from those who went before you. If you read, listen, or watch, you are choosing to expose yourself to other's opinions. But from you're writing, I suspect you would not do that.
Oh, please. My god! LOL! You are rich! You threw a hissy fit because no one answered your query. So you decided not to go to OKC and are blaming this forum as if it is our fault. WHATEVER.

To go nowhere on vacation because no one asnwered your question is the epitome of stupid and blind!!

Let's say for example, I choose to go to northeastern USA to see the fall colors, my decision does not rest on total strangers on an internet forum. I decide where I go and where I don't. You decided not to go to OKC because your feelings were hurt. So be it. Sounds like you were never interested in going to OKC from the beginning.

I don't need strangers on an internet forum decide for me where to go. But from you're writing, I suspect you would not do that. You have absolutely no idea who you are talking to or you would not be making asinine statements as to what I do or don't do.

I always get online and order a free travel brochure from whatever city/state we are going to be traveling. For example, I just ordered one from Nevada.

Try http://www.travelok.com/?CMP=Search_Google_OKTourism

Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No, my thread title asked for people's knowledge of their city.

Your arguments read so much like a conversation in a 'drag bar'. I mean that in the nicest sense I possibly could. Been there, done that.
I don't know what a drag bar is and I don't go to bars. You are not going to start a flame war because your feelings are/were hurt. Please stop trolling. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. We can play nice too. Just be nice and you will be treated the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City