Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,281 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, with our two children are considering relocating to OKC from Washington State! I am retiring from the Army and she works for Boeing; it looks like she will have the option to transfer to OKC and we are seriously considering the move. We have some questions and any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. A brief background on us:

-Early 40s
-2 children, 22 mo old boy and a 8 mo old girl (yeah I know, late starters).
-We have recently accepted the lord and he is a continual influence in our life (last few years).
-I will be attending college in the hopes of earning a Masters in Medicine (PA).
-Wherever we choose to move, we hope it will be our last.
-Our children's upbringing and environment is paramount. Especially as it relates to God, his word and how we incorporate that into our daily lives.

Sorry to beat the religious drum and please, no offense meant if anyone takes it that way but we feel it is important to lay that out there to assist with appropriate responses. We will be looking for some areas to scout out; we are planning a visit in January to see if the move is for us. As far as what we are looking for:

-No more than a 30 minute commute to Boeing near Tinker (at high traffic times).
-Home prices in the 2200-3200 sf range, newer builds, preferably with a small amount of acerage in the mid to high 200k range.
-An area that has a small town feel (not sure if this is possible near a big city).
-Good schools.
-within short drives to outdoor recreation.

Like I said, any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Perhaps someone who knows about Choctaw will comment. It's a town on the east side of OKC. I don't know if it has a small town feel or not. A granddaughter lived there for awhile, but she's flying out in the morning and won't be home until Monday afternoon, so I can't ask her. I notice it has many denominations of churches. It would also be a reasonable place to live if you plan to go to school at the University of Central Oklahoma at Edmond.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 AM

78 posts, read 121,105 times
Yeah Choctaw would probably be a nice fit for you. My SIL moved there about 4 years ago, they have two girls in the school system and they absolutely love it. Short drive to the OKC metro and Tinker. I would also recommend the Moore area. They are seeing a lot of new construction so you would have plenty of housing options and the school system there has always been very good.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,281 times
I really appreciate the replies! I will DEFINATELY begin my search in those areas. I am hopng to take a quick trip out there in January, should be moving around May. How are "imports" looked upon in those areas? Not being from OK and all that, any concerns of mainly a welcoming bunch?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Medic View Post
I really appreciate the replies! I will DEFINATELY begin my search in those areas. I am hopng to take a quick trip out there in January, should be moving around May. How are "imports" looked upon in those areas? Not being from OK and all that, any concerns of mainly a welcoming bunch?
Being from outside of Oklahoma is a non-issue in my experience. There has been so much growth lately in the OKC and Tulsa areas that there is a large number of transplants. Most people won't care where you are from.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Edmond is a good choice for you. Great schools, lots of churches, good outdoors activities nearby, decent commute to tinker, etc. If in Seattle, I would stay there if I were you. I spent a significant amount of time there. I wouldn't buy a house right away. Rent for a year, get a good understanding of the area, then buy.

Choctaw is also a good choice as others have mentioned. More small town feel.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
It's a bit of a drive (about 35 miles) but Shawnee is east on I-40 as well. SIL went to college there, and some of her neighbors worked at Tinker; fair amount of sought-after infrastructure, small town feel, some new housing developments, and two religiously-based universities. BIL grew up in Harrah, just east of Choctaw; I've only been there a couple times, seemed like a nice little town.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I've always thought that 35 mile drive from Shawnee was the longest 35 miles to ever drive.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Second the Edmond and Choctaw suggestions. Shawnee would be next in line. Norman and Moore would be doable, and if you want your kids in a smaller school district, go to Oakwood school district which is between Jones and Edmond. They go to the 8th grade at Oakwood and then you go to HS in Jones or Edmond. It's a great spot for accessing Tinker and OKC and still feel like you live out in the woods in a subdivision.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM

I would avoid Shawnee school district if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City