Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,809,717 times

Advertisements

Maybe those owners just decided to retire? I don't know, but like you, I hate to see long-established places like that go out of business. Maybe the owners didn't have any children or relatives they trusted to pass down the business. There are a lot of opportunities in OkC for a variety of places to eat. If I had the inclination, and the capitol, I might invest in some kind of Whole Foods Market or something in Okc. But, I'm not a busines person per say, and I CERTAINLY don't have the capital. I think OkC residents are very open-minded and it's a business friendly environment because of the growth and prosperity OkC is experiencing.

I hear the economy everywhere is supposed to take a huge downturn this year. I think OkC will fare very well. I'm proud of my capital city; she's got a special thing going on right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,587,390 times
Everyone raves about Whole Foods so much, along with Trader Joes. Newcomers here complain about not having a Whole Foods.

I am willing to pay more for quality, and American, especially Oklahoma, grown products. I do grow my own stuff, and that is expensive too when you add it all up. In most grocery stores, you don't know where your food is coming from. The produce can be so terrible I don't even bother to buy some things fresh, like tomatoes and peaches.

I also buy stuff from the Oklahoma Food Coop, which is a non profit organization. The producers are very often organic, and use Oklahoma products whenever possible.

At least Kamps is still open, I hope. It seems like all the smaller businesses go under and all we will have left is Mega stores. That's terrible about Bev's. I liked to sit at their counter and watch the cooks. They always seemed to have plenty of business when I went in there.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Everyone raves about Whole Foods so much, along with Trader Joes. Newcomers here complain about not having a Whole Foods.

I am willing to pay more for quality, and American, especially Oklahoma, grown products. I do grow my own stuff, and that is expensive too when you add it all up. In most grocery stores, you don't know where your food is coming from. The produce can be so terrible I don't even bother to buy some things fresh, like tomatoes and peaches.

I also buy stuff from the Oklahoma Food Coop, which is a non profit organization. The producers are very often organic, and use Oklahoma products whenever possible.

At least Kamps is still open, I hope. It seems like all the smaller businesses go under and all we will have left is Mega stores. That's terrible about Bev's. I liked to sit at their counter and watch the cooks. They always seemed to have plenty of business when I went in there.
Growing your own is THE BEST source! Growing up, we had four acres of land in Gerty, about 60 percent of that was a garden. We grew EVERYTHING. When our relatives would come out from Colorado and California they couldn't shut up about how good the food was; we grew everything from beans, potatoes, cantelope, tomatoes, onions, watermelon, radishes, corn, turnips, squash, peas, green beans, and more. We also had a pear tree, an apple orchard, a pecan tree and a walnut tree. My dad raised a few hogs; he slaughtered them, prepared them, and smoked and salted the meat. We were very poor monetary wise but lived a good life. Those were the days.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Maybe you were poor, but at least you ate better than most. The saying is, it doesn't matter how big your house is, it's what happens in your house.

We had a good garden last year, and this year it will be even bigger. We share the produce with our kids and their families, plus our farm workers get their share too. They also help me with the work. The horses help too, with fertilization.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe you were poor, but at least you ate better than most. The saying is, it doesn't matter how big your house is, it's what happens in your house.

We had a good garden last year, and this year it will be even bigger. We share the produce with our kids and their families, plus our farm workers get their share too. They also help me with the work. The horses help too, with fertilization.
That is so true Peggy. We had a small four room house (no indoor toilet for the first ten years of my life) and had to take baths in a metal tub with water that had to be heated on the stove because we had no running hot water. But by golly those were the happiest days of my life.

Horse manure is one of the best fertilizers. We always brought in horse manure from the locals who owned horses (it was free of course). Gardens are a fantastic thing; it helps people to be self supporting, and the food is so good. I don't eat tomatoes anymore because to this day I still can't find a good tomato at the store. I measure them against the tomatoes I grew up on. I'd love to move back to the Gerty area and have a few acres to start my own garden. It's hard work to keep a large garden, but it's a labor of love for me - something I hated doing as a kid, but have grown to love in my adult years.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,740,777 times
To give you guys an idea of how these surveys ect. flux every year, here is a good article that says OKC is the 22nd fittiest city in the Nation!! The major of OKC is trying to set a precedent for the city among the other "current" fatty cities that will probably change next year...Again. This initiative by the mayor ended up being bad press for OKC, but will hopefully change the citizens of OKC in the long run...lol.."Long Run".
OKC ranks as nation's 22nd fittest city | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Well HT, there IS very little difference between the two (fittest and fattest), just swap the "i" for an "a!" Yeah, those surveys have an accuracy rating of about +/- 80 percent. Most of them don't go by actual "fat" people but by number of restaurants, what kind of food they serve, number of city parks, etc... etc.. etc...
I think the mayor's "diet" probably brings some bad attention to OkC, but that bad attention fades as people realize the mayor of OkC is trying to do something about it. You can't blame somebody for trying to do the right thing.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,765,256 times
Quote:

Since we have a little bit of land (at least more than the city lots we were looking at first), I think I'll try a decent sized garden this year. Anna and I always start one, and after a few weeks of neglect nothing comes of it. This year I want to be more motivated. Maybe during planting season we can start a OK garden thread. I could use the encouragement.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Well, I have my garden away from the road so people can't see it. My garden is not lovely to look at, but produces well. That's a good idea about the garden thread. It won't be long until some of us go tomato crazy.

Working in the garden is very good exercise, and mentally refreshing.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well, I have my garden away from the road so people can't see it. My garden is not lovely to look at, but produces well. That's a good idea about the garden thread. It won't be long until some of us go tomato crazy.

Working in the garden is very good exercise, and mentally refreshing.
It really is isn't it Peggy? I always felt better after working in my garden. I don't have one here because of the darned swimming pool that takes up most of our yard. I suppose I could put in a little 10 foot long one back there but then I'd have to watch out for the underground sprinkler system or the various other lines that are probably running under there. Geez, I just want to live in the country where you don't have lines of all kinds of garbage running underneath your lawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City