Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 PM

305 posts, read 416,501 times

Advertisements

Living in a big metro with alot to do is pointless when you cant find work/cant afford to even pay to do anything. Like my situation here in Atlanta so.... yeah. Im 20.

Its depressing knowing people and having alot in your city, but youre too broke to do anything... add not having a home and youd go anywhere to better yourself. Even Nebraska. Tornadoes or no tornadoes. I have been here for years, barely know a soul anymore(most moved on), sad. So what do people like me have to lose? who cares about 'stuff to do', family and friends, living like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Living in a big metro with alot to do is pointless when you cant find work/cant afford to even pay to do anything. Like my situation here in Atlanta so.... yeah. Im 20.

Its depressing knowing people and having alot in your city, but youre too broke to do anything... add not having a home and youd go anywhere to better yourself. Even Nebraska. Tornadoes or no tornadoes. I have been here for years, barely know a soul anymore(most moved on), sad. So what do people like me have to lose? who cares about 'stuff to do', family and friends, living like this.
Well I feel bad for you. But obviously you can come out here and get a job and learn what REAL misery is.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I saw this Howard guy posted on his Twitter account he was born in Oklahoma and was giving it some praise, so it's possible it was just lip service.
He was born in Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well I feel bad for you. But obviously you can come out here and get a job and learn what REAL misery is.
Exactly. Look, I'm from Atlanta too and I as unemployed during the recession, so I get it. The economy in Atlanta is weird. The unemployment rate is much higher than the national average. I didn't go out either, and it sucked. However, I think if you can stick it out and find a good paying job there, you'll be immensely happy. You're too young to live out here. Join meetup groups in Atlanta and go out and do some cheap things (hiking, for example). It would be a good way to make friends and network too. Are you in college?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Haha! Maybe, but I'd be fine just reading about it vs. moving to find out for myself. The news stories are hilarious.
Years ago, one person claimed he had to move to Oklahoma to believe for himself how weird it was. He even created a web site devoted to highlighting the weird crime and political stories in Oklahoma. His web site is no more but here is an archived page from it. The Masturbating Judge of Oklahoma - Donald D. Thompson

Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
He was born in Atlanta.
I did more digging, and that's what he says. However, he also has posts on social media that indicates he has some tie to Oklahoma. But I stand by my statement that he's in the entertainment industry, and this was an effective claim to get people to listen. I saw two news articles this weekend with intriguing headlines that were worded just right to get people to read: "Man loses $10 billion in Vegas" and "Texas on the verge of recession". Read the first article and you'll see it wasn't gambling, just a venture that wasn't good, the second article is designed to make you wonder how the second largest economy in the country could tank. Both articles are there to get you to read them so the outlet makes money. This Howard guy needs the same thing, otherwise he'd be out of a job.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I did more digging, and that's what he says. However, he also has posts on social media that indicates he has some tie to Oklahoma. But I stand by my statement that he's in the entertainment industry, and this was an effective claim to get people to listen. I saw two news articles this weekend with intriguing headlines that were worded just right to get people to read: "Man loses $10 billion in Vegas" and "Texas on the verge of recession". Read the first article and you'll see it wasn't gambling, just a venture that wasn't good, the second article is designed to make you wonder how the second largest economy in the country could tank. Both articles are there to get you to read them so the outlet makes money. This Howard guy needs the same thing, otherwise he'd be out of a job.
Exactly why is telling people 'that Oklahoma City is attracting young people' an effective claim to get people to listen? According to you, if any of his listeners actually moved here they would feel like he double crossed them. From what I perceive as your point of view this would seem like a horrible strategy.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
I checked his website and he really doesn't have an article or anything saying OKC is attracting young people. He also doesn't have an article saying OKC is great or stupendous or "OMG, you are an imbecile if you don't love KD and OKC."

If he believes it, he isn't promoting it much.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Job or no job, nothing beat real misery like the Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009 in Oklahoma City.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
Exactly why is telling people 'that Oklahoma City is attracting young people' an effective claim to get people to listen? According to you, if any of his listeners actually moved here they would feel like he double crossed them. From what I perceive as your point of view this would seem like a horrible strategy.
Your point is... what? Aside from going out of your way to pick another fight, which you're getting into the habit of doing.

And I'm sorry, did my last explanation go over your head? Let's try layman's terms and bullets:

-Most people outside of Oklahoma don't think anything about it. It doesn't cross their minds unless someone brings it up as Howard did.

-Howard made the claim young people are moving to OKC. Even without hearing the broadcast, I can assure you he went more in depth.

-Saying that reminded people OKC is actually there. Because they likely don't know much about it, his claim made them curious (which is why I can guarantee he followed up that headline with more to keep people listening).

-When saying that, the perception of OKC is generally negative (and yes, there was a poll to back that up: OKC ranked one of the worst in the country in terms of positive or negative association) and listeners would ask, "why?"

-He had to explain because that's a provocative statement and the human mind would want closure. When people don't have a favorable view of OKC, they'll be curious why he said that and will keep listening.

Get it now?

How can I possibly say if he "double crossed" them when I don't know what he said. The OP didn't elaborate. In fact, he may not have even provided concrete details at all, but instead just highlighted things in OKC. And to be honest, I highly doubt his advice is going to make people flock here. They may be curious and might look into it, but OKC will not get a population boost from his radio show.

But hey, I did say I'd turn over a new leaf didn't I? Based on things the OP said, I'm sure he/she will make a welcome addition to OKC, will love it here, will thrive here, is making the move for all the right reasons and yadda, yadda, yadda. Yes, OP: take that show as gospel, take the risk and move here. You'll be glad you came and be sure to post often and share your experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: